Griffiths | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Griffiths

Tiger_Shark

Tiger Superstar
Mar 21, 2008
Melbourne
welcome big Griff

Can't complain as i think this guy has talent and our needs are being addressed with a KPF. just hope he keep on the park rather than the medical room. had a mid in mind but am still happy

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
With our dearth of talls we had to go big with one of our first three picks. Griffiths at 19 does make sense.

Massai

Tiger Champion
Mar 27, 2009
The Mighty Wozman said:
From Emma Quayle:

Ben Griffiths

(18, Eastern Ranges, 199cm, 98kg)

Griffiths is a beast — a very big, very strong, imposing key forward — and those types aren't common. The problem is he'll do things that make you think "wow" — take a big contested mark, kick a thumping goal — then get injured in the very next minute. He'll have a shoulder reconstruction this week and that's the query: will he be fixed for good, or take ages to get his body going?

Sounds just like a young Richo (we will never have another Richo). For an 18 year old, 199cm 98Kg already, if his shoulder is okay, he gets thru the pre season and looks good, yep starter for Round 1 at CHF, Jack can start on the Flank with Morton, the Goo at FF, Nahas and Cousins in the Pocket. It would appear our Forward line has got some structure to it, guess we'll have to see who lines up where come Round 1, competition amongst the playing list should be fierce.

lisamaree

Tiger Rookie
Jun 19, 2004
I preferred Griffiths to other more fancied like types, notably Black & Carlisle, however when Melbourne selected Tapscot (I nearly cried) I thought/hoped we might have taken Bastinac but only because I feel/felt Bastinac is the safer option. Good on the club for having the courage to go Griffiths and address a gapping hole in our list in the process, hopefully fortune will favour the brave on this one!!!! :clap

Feb 25, 2007
checkside said:
Happy with him. Hopefully he can beat the injuries.

im glad we didnt get scared off by his shoulder, judd, selwood to name a few were injured around the time of their drafts and they go alright, i think most recruiters now dont want to make that mistake about a player with an injury re draft time, he's hopefully going to be a decade+ player so next year griffiths is about building his base and in the years to come be a beast on our fwd line....

MrRuss

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 12, 2006
Very happy we picked up Griffo at 19. Not only is he a REAL KPF, but he has the weight already to hold his own.

However, lets not pin all our hopes on him and add expectation to another first year player. He's having a shoulder op. Let's just hope he can play the second half of the season or a few games. Plenty of time.

All the best Ben

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
hard to let what go Claw?
Mcmahon,s goal had nothing to do with us missing out on a PP at 18.
in isolation it may not have what is hard to ignore is we should have been tanking. could have had any number of combos. carlisle and griffiths. black and carlisle griffiths and black or one of those three and bastinac bartlett or stevens. have to ask also why did we not take a punt on a tall with one of the late picks. 7 live picks we take just 2 talls and speculate with a few of those picks.

we have taken 2 talls with good picks im hoping we have a tall in mind for the psd and we target two or three in the rookie draft.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
the claw said:
shouldnt say it here but sheesh we should have tanked picks 18 and 20 we could have had the best of both worlds.

:'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Yep give him a few years yet.

Riewoldt and the Postman can hold it down and develop until we unleash Griffiths. >:D

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
blx said:
:'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity :'( :nopity
oh dear one day the penny will drop for deluded ferals. lets see whos acting all smug when bastinac stevens or black carlisle are all running around dominating.
do you think melb are worried atm.

Feb 25, 2007
the claw said:
have to ask also why did we not take a punt on a tall with one of the late picks. 7 live picks we take just 2 talls and speculate with a few of those picks.

we have taken 2 talls with good picks im hoping we have a tall in mind for the psd and we target two or three in the rookie draft.

i hear ya claw and u make sense on the talls but the most important thing for the RFC is recruiting guys who can kick and have good decision making capabilities and from what ive seen well more from pics 35 onwards as pics 3 and 19 are very very good, the club seems to have addressed this deficiency that has had this club being turnover kings for far to long....if u go through these vids ul see what i mean, perhaps u already have...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/season2010/2009nationaldraft/tabid/15499/default.aspx

i reckon we'll go tall in the PSD, daw, thorpe, maybe panos etc

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
the claw said:
oh dear one day the penny will drop for deluded ferals. lets see whos acting all smug when bastinac stevens or black carlisle are all running around dominating.
do you think melb are worried atm.

Would also appreciate this Saturday's lotto numbers while you have your crystal ball out. Cheers.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
For Barnzy and Claw.

Got this from BF
Opinion from a fellow who works part time at the Pies.

Benjamin Griffiths (Eastern Ranges, VIC)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 97kg, DOB: 17/09/91

For me he has the most talent of any key position in the draft. The big problem for him so far is that he seems to be made from tissue paper and is always injured. Notwithstanding that I still take him at the ahead of any other key position because I think he is the only one I can see being a dominant 75 goal per year full forward. Teams that have taken the risk on injured top talent in the last few years have been well rewarded and I see that continuing for whoever ends up with Griffiths. I will be betting there are a few teams picking in the teens that are praying he gets through to them. Lets start first with size and this guy is massive man already. At 198.5cm tall and already 97kgs he is going to worry virtually any fullback in the competition. When you combine that with very strong hands and pretty good athleticism he will be giving them nightmares. This is not a failed ruckman or ruckman wanna-be forward, this is a legitimate forward who has the height of a ruckman. He played at both full forward and half forward during the champs and although he showed he can move nicely and provide a marking target as a half forward I do not think there is any doubt that his best position is at full forward. He did not test at camp so I am a little in the dark on his actual speed but from the naked eye he seems pretty good without being great and I would expect him to be between 3 and 3.1 over the 20. He may struggle a little for separation at AFL level but he has enough pace to cause issues. On top of his height he has good jumping abilities and can get up for the ball both off one leg and off two. In fact his jump and mark from a stationary or contested pack situation is a feature of his game. At half forward he tends to play a little high and this takes him out of being a goal threat and, as he is primarily a goal scoring player, he needs to consider this. Also when he is playing at full forward I notice that he tends to lead to the pockets a little too much. He does seem comfortable slotting them from there but I believe he goes there as his first option too often. As mentioned he does kick them pretty comfortably from the pockets and unlike players like Butcher he is a very good kick for goal. He is a thumping kick with a range out to at least 55 and he is a dead eye *smile* to boot. He has good technique, very big hands, controls the drop well and really follows through nicely. Around the ground he is a reasonable but not great worker and does chase back defensively a bit. He is not a big tackler but does finish them nicely when he gets his hands on the ball carrier. When he gets the ball outside his range he takes good options and handballs well and is a nice field kick with good penetration and weighting on his passes.