Griffiths | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Griffiths

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
SCOOP said:
Worked hard, didn't touch leather.

neither did Vickery.

griff played an important role as relief ruck and worked up the ground to contests. structurally, he was more than handy.

vickery had the easiest job in the world - too timid to ruck - and still *smile*ed it up.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
SCOOP said:
Worked hard, didn't touch leather.

Correct. Lamb nailed it pretty early, Griffiths output at junior levels was pretty low, he never really changed. His body never allowed for continuity.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Baron Samedi said:
neither did Vickery.

griff played an important role as relief ruck and worked up the ground to contests. structurally, he was more than handy.

vickery had the easiest job in the world - too timid to ruck - and still *smile*ed it up.

But Vickery averaged more marks, more goals and more hitouts.

The myth continues.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
MD Jazz said:
Correct. Lamb nailed it pretty early, Griffiths output at junior levels was pretty low, he never really changed. His body never allowed for continuity.

structure matters.

no one is saying griff was greg williams but he slotted in nicely to that relief ruck / key forward post.

did he do enough offensively? not by a long shot.

but to say vickery was "miles" ahead of griff is ridiculous.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:

The myth continues.

Vickery also had trade value & finished top 5 in the B&F. Bottom line is Griff replicated his TAC form almost to the the letter.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
SCOOP said:

The myth continues.

righto, lets ignore the fact that vickery was left in the power forward slot for year after year while he continually went missing in clutch games for 2-3 quarters at a time.

bald stats ain't gonna cut it, mate. ben was prepared to step up into a more difficult role and he had a decent crack.

griff was not a success but your claim that vickery was "miles" ahead off the back of his joe the goose shenanigans, well, that's something I am happy to disagree with :hihi

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I'd say no way. He's breaking the contract! He's not even playing for USC until 2019 so, in theory, could fulfil his contract for us in 2018, but he wouldn't be allowed plus crazy to risk any leg (or concussion) injuries.

Just can't see how we could be bound to pay him any more that a little good-bye package with any accumulated monies.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
SCOOP said:

The myth continues.

It’s an even bigger myth that premierships are won with marks, goals and hitouts.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
leon said:
I'd say no way. He's breaking the contract! He's not even playing for USC until 2019 so, in theory, could fulfil his contract for us in 2018, but he wouldn't be allowed plus crazy to risk any leg (or concussion) injuries.

Just can't see how we could be bound to pay him any more that a little good-bye package with any accumulated monies.

Dont think the club will be paying him anything to be honest , He is the 1 asking to be let out of his contract and club doesnt need to pay him anything

Ben Griffiths would have made nearly $2 mil in 8 years at the club think he has enough

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
I remember posting after a season in which Griffiths and Vickery traded positions that it would be interesting to see which out of Griffiths and Vickery would step up next season and take the CHF role. Course the answer now is neither were able to step up and we don't have a CHF. Honestly really happy for Griffiths that he has found a professional sporting role which matches his abilities and protects him from his body's weaknesses. Lets face it - one more concussion and he would have been forcibly medically retired anyway. Time for RFC to no longer live on dreams that he would come good and we save a year's $$ off his contract. Win all round really, big win for Ben. Its Miller time...well not quite yet.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Out of the new tall recruits who is the actual forward out of them or are they all versatile types ? Coleman Jones is a ruck/fwd , Bolta fwd/def & Miller ?

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
TigerFurious said:
*smile* move from Ben. Left the club one down with no means of replacement simply because he got a better offer and all while under contract. To top it off, screwed over his delisted teammates, one of whom probably would have been retained if Griffiths had made this decision 2 months earlier.

One more head knock (Griff even once got concussed without a head knock) and he was done anyway.

The technique for punting is the same as our torp'. I've never seen Griff kick a torp, I recall reading somewhere he couldn't kick them.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Brettstigers said:
I remember posting after a season in which Griffiths and Vickery traded positions that it would be interesting to see which out of Griffiths and Vickery would step up next season and take the CHF role. Course the answer now is neither were able to step up and we don't have a CHF.

Can't believe we won a flag without the one position that for years everyone thought was the most important (e.g. Hart, Carey).
How the game evolves.