Griffiths | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Griffiths

Stuart

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
taken at 19

Height: 198cm
Weight: 99kg
DOB: 17/09/91
Recruited from: Blackburn (VIC)
Bio: Rarely beaten in the air, has quick with clean hands below his knees and is an exceptional long kick for goal. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Just watched the video of him looks like a good pick up.
Marks well and very good kicking style especially for goal

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/BenGriffiths/tabid/15506/Default.aspx

DOB: 17/09/91
Height: 198.5cm
Weight: 97.6kg
Club: Eastern Ranges, TAC Cup

What the recruiters say:
Ben is a powerful key position forward from the Eastern Ranges TAC club. Ben is an AFL-AIS Academy graduate of 2008 and as an underage player for his TAC club, played 4 games in 2007 and 8 games in 2008. Due to an injury interrupted 2009, Ben managed 10 games for Eastern and 4 games for the Vic Metro side in the NAB U18 National Championships.

Ben went into the U18 Championships with a very limited preparation but performed very well in his 1st game against NSW with 5 goal haul from full forward. In following games he was used higher up the ground at CHF and in the ruck to good effect. In the TAC Cup, Ben had goal hauls of 6 in round 17 against eventual TAC premier the Calder Cannons and in the 1st qualifying final against top side the Geelong Falcons, he had 10 marks and 4 goals in their upset win.

Ben has the speed and size to play as genuine power forward at AFL level. He has the acceleration to break free from opponents as a leading forward but also the size and strength to mark the ball one out in a contested situation. Ben also has great power and depth in his kicking and showed great composure in 2009 to kick long clutch goals. The club is excited about the prospect of developing Ben into a key forward who will demand the footy on the Richmond forward line in years to come.

Ben Griffiths in his own words:

What type of player are you?
A tall key forward, who provides a good option on the lead and good below the knees.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Justin Koschitzke, because I'm big, athletic and try to break the packs similar to the way he breaks them, and I'm a pretty good mark.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
I would say my cleanness below my knees, my kicking, and I'm pretty quick over the ground.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I really want to improve my endurance and agility for getting through traffic.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I follow Hawthorn, I came about this because my mum goes for them and so does her whole family.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Wayne McCraw, ex-Eastern Ranges coach. He showed a lot of faith in me in under-16s when I wasn't sure about whether to play footy or not. He gave me a lot of advice about my game and really helped me develop.

The Mighty Wozman

RFC '82-'13: "Daydream Nation"
Jul 22, 2004
From Emma Quayle:

Ben Griffiths

(18, Eastern Ranges, 199cm, 98kg)

Griffiths is a beast — a very big, very strong, imposing key forward — and those types aren't common. The problem is he'll do things that make you think "wow" — take a big contested mark, kick a thumping goal — then get injured in the very next minute. He'll have a shoulder reconstruction this week and that's the query: will he be fixed for good, or take ages to get his body going?

NZtiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2008
Wellington
I'm glad we took him, Could be anything if he can get right, but gee I hope this reconstruction goes well!!! :nailbiting

Good luck Benny!

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
He looks and moves like Daniel Bradshaw to me, right down to the little relaxed walk to line up the shot once he takes a mark.

Certainly looks like him.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
good result. :)

There are some risks given that there is not a heap of exposed form, but probably has more upside than anyone else in the draft. At least amongst the talls.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
really have to question this pick for several reasons.

to me hes a b grader there was two better tpyes there for the taking in carlisle and black. i thought this bloke may slip to pick 35.

bastinac bartlett stevens all still there at 19 as well.

it was a draft with a lot of good mids and we take one.

Daigoro

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 20, 2004
evo said:
good result. :)

There are some risks given that there is not a heap of exposed form, but probably has more upside than anyone else in the draft. At least amongst the talls.

definitely. Reminds me of David Schwarz in the way he moves. Elite skills, balance, ball handling, etc for a big man. Only question is the injuries as there were some good midfielders still available. Wish we had traded Jackson or Rance to get another pick in the 20s.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
TOT70 said:
He looks and moves like Daniel Bradshaw to me, right down to the little relaxed walk to line up the shot once he takes a mark.

Certainly looks like him.

Makes Bradshaw look like a midget,

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
the claw said:

to me hes a b grader there was two better tpyes there for the taking in carlisle and black. i thought this bloke may slip to pick 35.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Predictable Post

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
the claw said:

Yeah, but Carlisle and Black were passed on by other clubs besides us. There's a reason these guys slide. You wanted talls and we spent good picks getting some.

I would have loved to see Stevens in a Tiger jumper but there's no way I'm going to be critical of Jackson for using premium picks to address our biggest need.

BTW, almost no chance Griffiths would have lasted to 35 from all reports.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Poor Griffiths, he's now going to be judged a lot harder than others and compared constantly to those who went after him.