GWS: what could have been | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS: what could have been

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yeah i was thinking that.

In terms of attracting and retaining players,

GC suns have a great lifestyle. Affordable housing, great beaches, best climate in the world.

GWS is a real shithole. I was there recently and felt depressed for the residents. a shitbox on a mainroad, 5km from anything costs as much as a nice house 1 block from the beach on GC
Always wonder why 21 year olds in a transient profession need to buy a house to live in.

And not one Hawk player would live within cooee of Mulgrave.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Always wonder why 21 year olds in a transient profession need to buy a house to live in.

And not one Hawk player would live within cooee of Mulgrave.

true,

but the fact remains if you play for GWS you either ride your bike to training and sit in traffic for an hour and a half to go to the beach,

or you ride your bike to the beach and sit in traffic for an hour and a half to go to training.

if you play for the Suns, you live on the beach and ride the pushy to training.

apologies to anyone who needs to live in west Sydney, but I reckon its the arse end of Australia. its hot, its cold, its expensive, its dirty, its busy. when I went there I expected to find a really good middle-eastern feed but ended up driving miles to find a servo to microwave a hotdog.

I'd rather live in Wilcannia

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, I don't buy that they can't develop a culture because they don't live near the beach or in a nice location. It used to be said that teams tanked on the GC because there was too much sun, surf and whatever.

A culture is built inside a club, not in the surrounds. Sure, there might be nicer places to live but that's immaterial. You could live elsewhere in Sydney or even the Blue Mountains and commute, its not as if you are working a 9-5 job.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
COLA should be distributed by the AFL straight to the player. Either a fixed amount per player or fixed amount + % of contract. That way it will be kept out of the clubs hands

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Not a fan of COLA. An extra $1m in the salary cap is an extra $1m in the salary cap, regardless of how you carve it up and which players you give it to. It was always nothing but a way to give Northern clubs a leg up on the competition and a dubious one at that.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Leon crashed the Ferrari.

Losing Cameron is a massive wound to them.

Wont be long before he gets the arse.

They could probably lose another gun end of 2021 after they miss the 8 again and the older stars start to think about their football mortality and change their focus from cash to success.

Who is it gonna be.

Whitfield, Kelly, Taranto, Greene, Green, Taylor.

I reckon Taranto, Kelly and Taylor are all gettable if they have a poor year.

Wouldnt surprise me in the least if the Maggots are not into Kelly or Tarantos ear.

Last edited:

willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Broken Hill
I thought it was 10% (or 9.8%) of each individual annual salary.

So if Buddy was on $1m he’d get $98k but John Smith on $100k got $9800.
That’s how I remember it.
I remember arguing with a swans supporter that the bigger share of COLA went to the bigger contracted names. When it should have been helping the lower paid players who needed it more.
His argument was that it was fairer if all players got the same percentage each of COLA.
The extra markup on (for example) of Buddy’s wage was an extra $100k pa or thereabouts. Nothing to be sneezed at.
Thats why Eddie was pissed that it allowed those clubs more dough for higher profile players

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yeah, I don't buy that they can't develop a culture because they don't live near the beach or in a nice location. It used to be said that teams tanked on the GC because there was too much sun, surf and whatever.

A culture is built inside a club, not in the surrounds. Sure, there might be nicer places to live but that's immaterial. You could live elsewhere in Sydney or even the Blue Mountains and commute, its not as if you are working a 9-5 job.
The last line is very relevant... It might be 6 days a week in season (same pre season) but the hours aren't taxing. Probably allows players like Grimes to put decent time into a second career like a vineyard and travel to/from ; others less travel and more hours watching NBA and into Tour of Duty.