GWS Zones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Zones

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Expect an announcement before long that the Albury and Border regions of GWS academy zones will be removed from next year onwards. Not before time but they have already picked up some serious talent so shutting the gate after the horse has bolted really.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
King Kong said:
Expect an announcement before long that the Albury and Border regions of GWS academy zones will be removed from next year onwards. Not before time but they have already picked up some serious talent so shutting the gate after the horse has bolted really.

Great news for Richmond, Jarrod Brander will enter the main pool and maybe within reach with one of our first rounders.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
bullus_hit said:
Great news for Richmond, Connor Ballenden will enter the main pool and maybe within reach with one of our first rounders.

Might need the no.1 pick for him. People calling him the 2nd coming of Luke Hodge

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
King Kong said:
Might need the no.1 pick for him. People calling him the 2nd coming of Luke Hodge

Whoops, Jarrod Brander was the player I was thinking, he's a mobile tall but could easily go in the top handful of picks.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Whoops, Jarrod Brander was the player I was thinking, he's a mobile tall but could easily go in the top handful of picks.
He's from Wentworth. Is and always has been Aussie Rules heartland.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Great news for Richmond, Jarrod Brander will enter the main pool and maybe within reach with one of our first rounders.

Sorry mate but we wont have any 1st rounders next year

they are getting traded to Gold Coast & Port Adelaide respectively

Welcome to Richmond Peter Wright
Welcome to Richmond Ollie Wines

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
King Kong said:
too little too late i'm afraid.
the whole academy lockout situation infuriates me no end.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
turk-d-tiger said:

;D ;D

Done. Then the following year Tom Lynch as a FA, bring the holy trinity together with Caddy and Prestia. Conca can clean their boots.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:

I wouldn't be complaining.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
bullus_hit said:

Theres an article on the AFL site that says the AFL have yet to make their mind up about whether he is in the GWS academy zone. It sounds a very tenuous link to GWS, his family have 2 homes, 1 in the zone and 1 outside. It sounds like he has had very little involvement with GWS other than playing 1 game for their academy team. Surely the AFL sees sense and allows him to go into the ope draft.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
mrposhman said:
Theres an article on the AFL site that says the AFL have yet to make their mind up about whether he is in the GWS academy zone. It sounds a very tenuous link to GWS, his family have 2 homes, 1 in the zone and 1 outside. It sounds like he has had very little involvement with GWS other than playing 1 game for their academy team. Surely the AFL sees sense and allows him to go into the ope draft.
You'd think it'd come down to where he spends the bulk of his time in each house. I'm assuming it's a split parent thing?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
hoping he's not in the Academy, time to start giving the other Clubs a chance, this has already gone way too far

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
By the sounds of him looks to be a top 5-6 pick, we wont have a pick that high this year

Cats will be #10-#12
Tiges #8-#12

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
turk-d-tiger said:
By the sounds of him looks to be a top 5-6 pick, we wont have a pick that high this year

Cats will be #10-#12
Tiges #8-#12
Maybe but we need him to be in the general pool so someone before us uses a legitimate pick to grab him leaving other options available to us.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:

Cats will be #10-#12
Tiges #8-#12

I have Ballenden at 1, Brander at 2, Balta at 3, Raynor at 4, Worpel at 5 & Higgins at 6. Very early days however, I remember Jack Darling being a certain number 1 in his underage year.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
I have Ballenden at 1, Brander at 2, Balta at 3, Raynor at 4, Worpel at 5 & Higgins at 6. Very early days however, I remember Jack Darling being a certain number 1 in his underage year.

I personally believe that we will trade 1 of our 2 selections this year and use the other , Worpel sounds really promising and is my wish even though we will need to take 1 KPF

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
I personally believe that we will trade 1 of our 2 selections this year and use the other , Worpel sounds really promising and is my wish even though we will need to take 1 KPF

If we manage to get a KPF, I don't have massive issues going the best available mid. Higgins I also rate very highly and is someone who could drift out into the teens (based purely on height).

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Darcy Fogarty is another player that interests me, Good size and a good contested mark with the ability to also play midfield.

Higgins probably wont come into our calculations due to our ties to Naish imo

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:

At this stage we'd likely have to finish bottom 3 or 4 to even have a chance to think about him or any of the big gun talls.

Ballenden, Brander, Balta, Paech we have to hope some of them drop a few pegs in the ratings over the course of the season to get a look at getting even one of them.

The club has thrown its egss in the basket of grabbing 2 gun talls, yet a finish outside of the bottom 4 or 5 could likely cost the Tigers a chance at any of them in reality.

The only hope is they drop off a bit or some smalls kick up the ladder a bit, with clubs such as Carlton stocking up on talls recently with a bit of luck they will be chasing smaller players.