GWS Zones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Zones

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Article by Caroline Wilson in Age today says it looks like GWS have won the battle for the Riverina, isn't that nice :mad:

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
This line in Caroline's article is way more interesting:

"The AFL is also mindful that the new multicultural and indigenous academies are already producing elite young talent. Richmond's Sunraysia zone is understood to have unearthed at least three potential stars of the future."

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Ty Esler said:
This line in Caroline's article is way more interesting:

"The AFL is also mindful that the new multicultural and indigenous academies are already producing elite young talent. Richmond's Sunraysia zone is understood to have unearthed at least three potential stars of the future."
Thanks Ty that is interesting i stopped about half way through the article p!ssed off about GWS, now I have read in entirety that last line does offer some hope for the Tige's. But I assume it also means that GWS can once again walk away with a potential #1 pick, (Key Forward Brander)? When will it end?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If they decide Brander lives in Wentworth he's a GWS academy player because they need to grow the game in foreign climes (notwithstanding that Wentworth has always been in Aussie Rules territory). If they decide he lives in the family's other house half an hour away in Mildura he's in our zone but is available to everyone because he's not indigenous or 'Other'. :help

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
spook said:
If they decide Brander lives in Wentworth he's a GWS academy player because they need to grow the game in foreign climes (notwithstanding that Wentworth has always been in Aussie Rules territory). If they decide he lives in the family's other house half an hour away in Mildura he's in our zone but is available to everyone because he's not indigenous or 'Other'. :help

So GWS still have the advantage that they can recruit anyone from their zone, but for everyone else's zone you only get access if they are a minority and you have input in their development hardly fair but thems the rules :(

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
caesar said:
So GWS still have the advantage that they can recruit anyone from their zone, but for everyone else's zone you only get access if they are a minority and you have input in their development hardly fair but thems the rules :(

The AFL is doing whatever it can to bend the rules so that GWS succeed, and they don't care if every other club (especially the traditional Victorian clubs) fail in the process.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
It's official, Brander & Spargo off limits to GWS. Now let's get moving on ways to get Brander onto the list. To start the bidding I'd be prepared to deal with Brisbane, our two first rounders for their first pick. This will be workable provided they don't finish last. Ballenden will be the probable number 1, so Brisbane get their man anyway. Our picks will likely be pick 6-10 (our position) & 10-12 (Geelong).

Value pick 2 = 2,517
Value pick 10 & 12 = 2,663

A key position player is a must this year and Brander is the pick of the bunch, just gotta hope the Bears don't finish last.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
bullus_hit said:
It's official, Brander & Spargo off limits to GWS. Now let's get moving on ways to get Brander onto the list. To start the bidding I'd be prepared to deal with Brisbane, our two first rounders for their first pick. This will be workable provided they don't finish last. Ballenden will be the probable number 1, so Brisbane get their man anyway. Our picks will likely be pick 6-10 (our position) & 10-12 (Geelong).

Value pick 2 = 2,517

A key position player is a must this year and Brander is the pick of the bunch, just gotta hope the Bears don't finish last.

Ballsy play there Bullus.

Is Brander worth it? Other than being a kpp, what attributes does he have?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
bullus_hit said:

Value pick 2 = 2,517

Wouldn't it be better if they did finish last? Let say Carlton finish last and bid on Ballenden with Pick 1 then Brisbane will get him with Pick 2, then Carlton bid on the 2nd best player which might be Brander. If Brisbane finish last, they may just take Ballenden with Pick 1 and then if we can trade for Pick 2 then we would pick him up then?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
T-Shirt Tommy said:
Ballsy play there Bullus.

Is Brander worth it? Other than being a kpp, what attributes does he have?

Tall, mobile, could even have stints in the midfield. Jake Stringer in style. Still needs to perform this year but there's plenty to like.

mrposhman said:
Wouldn't it be better if they did finish last? Let say Carlton finish last and bid on Ballenden with Pick 1 then Brisbane will get him with Pick 2, then Carlton bid on the 2nd best player which might be Brander. If Brisbane finish last, they may just take Ballenden with Pick 1 and then if we can trade for Pick 2 then we would pick him up then?

If Brisbane finish last they will not pick Ballenden because they know they will get him with the next pick, so they could feasibly walk away with the two best talls in the draft. By swapping picks we could also do a gentlemen's agreement not to bid on Ballenden, therefore preserving some additional points for Brisbane. For them it's all about the leftovers once Ballenden has been nailed down. We need a top 4 pick here, Balta is the other guy who could feature near the top.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:

Value pick 2 = 2,517

Great news about Brander, and the right call. I'd rather target Scache though.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Just on Brander, he projects more as a tall mid than power forward for me at this stage. (We need both, btw.)

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
Just on Brander, he projects more as a tall mid than power forward for me at this stage. (We need both, btw.)

At 195cm I would take that, part of his appeal is his versatility, can see him partnering Jack as well. If we are to assume Jack has the Nick genes then it could be a fruitful combo for the next 4-5 years. Must play hard this draft.

I don't want to contemplate Dusty leaving but if he does then we should be amply compensated.

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
bullus_hit said:
At 195cm I would take that, part of his appeal is his versatility, can see him partnering Jack as well. If we are to assume Jack has the Nick genes then it could be a fruitful combo for the next 4-5 years. Must play hard this draft.

I don't want to contemplate Dusty leaving but if he does then we should be amply compensated.

I've got the feeling that because of Jack"s lack of natural speed and athleticism, that he's likely to fall off the perch very quickly as opposed to Nick who is a freak athlete. Jack"s a natural footballer who is extremely smart and crafty but football is getting quicker by the day

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Blind Turn said:
I've got the feeling that because of Jack"s lack of natural speed and athleticism, that he's likely to fall off the perch very quickly as opposed to Nick who is a freak athlete. Jack"s a natural footballer who is extremely smart and crafty but football is getting quicker by the day

I think you've nailed the reason why Jack could have a long career, his craftiness has and always will compensate for the lack of athleticism. Sit him deep and the forward line and let him kick his 2-3 goals a game. The key to extending his career will be getting the opposition's top defender to play on another quality key forward.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
bullus_hit said:

Value pick 2 = 2,517

Interesting you are suggesting we trade two first round picks for one when you thought it would be a good idea for Saints to trade one first round pick for two lower first round picks.

In a draft reportedly good for talls would we not be better off keeping both picks and getting a future key forward and a future key back?? After all Jack went at #13 and Rance at #18

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TigerPort said:
Interesting you are suggesting we trade two first round picks for one when you thought it would be a good idea for Saints to trade one first round pick for two lower first round picks.

In a draft reportedly good for talls would we not be better off keeping both picks and getting a future key forward and a future key back?? After all Jack went at #13 and Rance at #18

Horses for courses. Will assess this draft for depth once the season is done but pick 10 & 12 won't get us a key forward, possibly a key back but that's not a pressing need. Would I trade pick 1 for pick 4 & 7 in this draft? Absolutely, pick four gets us one of Brander & Balta and perhaps a gun small like Higgins. I'm hoping another forward emerges, still a long way to go, but compared to last year where Logue was the only key position player to go in the first 15 picks, this draft is positively strong for talls.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
mrposhman said:
if i was Brissy & finished last i'd take Brander at pick 1 then match a bid for Ballenden when the bid is put in.
it's the same way GWS got a free hit by trading for pick 2 in the most recent Draft & picked up Taranto, then using thier next picks to match bids for thier Academy kids (one of which was from Broken Hill - where my Uncle played Footy in the 70's).
it's rubbish it's allowed to happen that way but anything that helps GWS seems fair play.
P.S GWS have enough depth they'll be able to trade out another fringe player for a 1st round pick this year as well.
only real way around it is for all other Clubs to boycott trading with them. that needs to happen but it never will.