GWS Zones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Zones

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Tall, mobile, could even have stints in the midfield. Jake Stringer in style. Still needs to perform this year but there's plenty to like.

If Brisbane finish last they will not pick Ballenden because they know they will get him with the next pick, so they could feasibly walk away with the two best talls in the draft. By swapping picks we could also do a gentlemen's agreement not to bid on Ballenden, therefore preserving some additional points for Brisbane. For them it's all about the leftovers once Ballenden has been nailed down. We need a top 4 pick here, Balta is the other guy who could feature near the top.
trading 2 x 1st rounders would be the only way to get these i am guessing?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
also getting a Key Fwd is a must, but it needs to be the right one.
we need the next Jack not the next Griffiths.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
trading 2 x 1st rounders would be the only way to get these i am guessing?

I think so, much will depend on the points value of the two first rounders. The other wildcard is Martin, if he does leave I wouldn't be upset if we get a key forward in return. To be perfectly honest, I think Brander & Higgins would be better for the club long term presuming we got another pick thrown in. Dusty will be 26 & 9 months by the time next season kicks off so whilst it's not quite in the Deledio category, it's not far off a Judd deal.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
I think so, much will depend on the points value of the two first rounders. The other wildcard is Martin, if he does leave I wouldn't be upset if we get a key forward in return. To be perfectly honest, I think Brander & Higgins would be better for the club long term presuming we got another pick thrown in. Dusty will be 26 & 9 months by the time next season kicks off so whilst it's not quite in the Deledio category, it's not far off a Judd deal.
true, depends when we think we can win a Flag & if what Dusty wants to go. worst case & he wants out, we'll get a mega return.

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
bullus_hit said:
Can we trade Martin or do we just get a compo pick?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
mtench said:
Can we trade Martin or do we just get a compo pick?

We can match the offer and keep him.

But normally the AFL "encourage" the teams to find a fair deal. Much like the Clangerfield to Cats deal

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Baloo said:
We can match the offer and keep him.

But normally the AFL "encourage" the teams to find a fair deal. Much like the Clangerfield to Cats deal

Was far from fair and thats what would be a concern, but i agree with you AFL would get involved and we would get screwed

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
The problem with the Dangerfield deal was the limited trading currency teams had at the time - Geelong couldn't give up much more than they did (1st, 2nd, a player). Now with trading of future picks teams can now demand a second 1st rounder without having to get other teams involved.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
bullus_hit said:
It's official, Brander & Spargo off limits to GWS. Now let's get moving on ways to get Brander onto the list. To start the bidding I'd be prepared to deal with Brisbane, our two first rounders for their first pick. This will be workable provided they don't finish last. Ballenden will be the probable number 1, so Brisbane get their man anyway. Our picks will likely be pick 6-10 (our position) & 10-12 (Geelong).

Value pick 2 = 2,517
Value pick 10 & 12 = 2,663

A key position player is a must this year and Brander is the pick of the bunch, just gotta hope the Bears don't finish last.
Totally agree re KPP a must, though if we had a top 2 pick and there was a superstar mid we'd have to seriously look at best available .

One thing with KPP juniors is they can emerge from nowhere in there 17th an 18th years due to growth spurts.

Sorry Bully you've probaly mentioned it, but is this an even, deep, super, what type if draft does this look like been ?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
CC TIGER said:
Totally agree re KPP a must, though if we had a top 2 pick and there was a superstar mid we'd have to seriously look at best available .

One thing with KPP juniors is they can emerge from nowhere in there 17th an 18th years due to growth spurts.

Sorry Bully you've probaly mentioned it, but is this an even, deep, super, what type if draft does this look like been ?
i'd always go the KPF before a mid, the good ones generally go top 15, good mids come around every year & decent KPP's are like a needle in a haystack.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Jonesracing82 said:
i'd always go the KPF before a mid, the good ones generally go top 15, good mids come around every year & decent KPP's are like a needle in a haystack.
True, however there's been a lot of bust highly rated KPP draftees, there's been a lot of quality of both KPP an mids found all through the draft , I'd say our biggest potential KPP is from the rookie draft and the other was pick 70 od

Bottom line JR is you've just got to nail your first round picks, which is something under FJs watch we have not done.

The thing is its rare to have a KPP combo as good as Rance and Reiwoldt and we may not get a combo like that again for a long time, we may have missed the boat by missing most of the past 7 first rounders

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
CC TIGER said:

Gun key forwards invariably come in the first round - both the Riewoldts, Buddy, Roughead, Kennedy, Lynch etc. Whilst you can get the occasional success story in the rookie draft it's as rare as hen's teeth. If we're talking outside the first round then you're really talking about special circumstances like F&S picks or academy selections. Off the top of my head the only recent example of a diamond in the rough has been Westhoff, interestingly he was playing a fair bit in the ruck when he was drafted.

This year there are at least 6 talls who will go in the first round, Ballenden, Brander & Balta are definite top 5 material and the latter two are the ones who we should be eyeing off. Sam Hayes made the AA squad but I see him as more of a ruck/forward at this stage. Tom De Koning is one to keep an eye on, he kicked 9 goals in a TAC match but is still only slight weighing in at 79kg. If he bulks up a bit he could easily shoot into top ten calculations. The other player I'm monitoring is Hayden McClean who showed some positive signs in the TAC grand final. If these two kick on in 2017 then our existing picks might just about get the deal done, although I still rate Brander & Balta as the standouts.

As far as the mids go, my favourite thus far is Jack Higgins and that's not to say he'll go in the top 10 because he's another midget, but I just see class stamped all over him. He's a genuine goal kicking mid and the times coming through with his running are really promising. James Worpel is a hard and tough inside mid who looks first round material, Cam Raynor, Hunter Clark & Jaidyn Stephenson will also be pressing their claims.

I think the aim here would be to walk away with one key forward & one gun inside mid, also bearing in mind we'll get a classy outside player in Naish. With our two picks I think this is possible and if it turns out that we get another high pick for Martin (although I'd like to keep him) I don't feel as though the sky will be falling in. All it does is puts us in a really strong position to the key forward we desperately need.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
This year there are at least 6 talls who will go in the first round, Ballenden, Brander & Balta are definite top 5 material and the latter two are the ones who we should be eyeing off. Sam Hayes made the AA squad but I see him as more of a ruck/forward at this stage. Tom De Koning is one to keep an eye on, he kicked 9 goals in a TAC match but is still only slight weighing in at 79kg. If he bulks up a bit he could easily shoot into top ten calculations.
Surely the son of ex Footscray ruck man Terry?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
From what balme and Taylor have said over this pre season we are definitely going to draft a tall in the first round. It's going to be interesting how it pans out.

Of course there is always the possibility that we may try and steal someone from another club and trade with the currency we have. Hipwood is the one I really like but he may not be attainable.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Sintiger said:
From what balme and Taylor have said over this pre season we are definitely going to draft a tall in the first round. It's going to be interesting how it pans out.

Of course there is always the possibility that we may try and steal someone from another club and trade with the currency we have. Hipwood is the one I really like but he may not be attainable.
I'd imagine they'd be having a chat to Schache

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
As far as the mids go, my favourite thus far is Jack Higgins and that's not to say he'll go in the top 10 because he's another midget, but I just see class stamped all over him. He's a genuine goal kicking mid and the times coming through with his running are really promising

Jack a promising midfielder from EMKJFC. Been seeing running coach Bohdan Babijczuk since he was 14. Same coach who worked with Crawford, Johansen and our very own Foley and Houli. Boy has wheels

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
CC TIGER said:
True, however there's been a lot of bust highly rated KPP draftees, there's been a lot of quality of both KPP an mids found all through the draft , I'd say our biggest potential KPP is from the rookie draft and the other was pick 70 od

Bottom line JR is you've just got to nail your first round picks, which is something under FJs watch we have not done.

The thing is its rare to have a KPP combo as good as Rance and Reiwoldt and we may not get a combo like that again for a long time, we may have missed the boat by missing most of the past 7 first rounders
as with any pick it's important to nail them, more so with KPP's as the guns are rare.