GWS Zones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Zones

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Gun key forwards invariably come in the first round - both the Riewoldts, Buddy, Roughead, Kennedy, Lynch etc. Whilst you can get the occasional success story in the rookie draft it's as rare as hen's teeth. If we're talking outside the first round then you're really talking about special circumstances like F&S picks or academy selections. Off the top of my head the only recent example of a diamond in the rough has been Westhoff, interestingly he was playing a fair bit in the ruck when he was drafted.

This year there are at least 6 talls who will go in the first round, Ballenden, Brander & Balta are definite top 5 material and the latter two are the ones who we should be eyeing off. Sam Hayes made the AA squad but I see him as more of a ruck/forward at this stage. Tom De Koning is one to keep an eye on, he kicked 9 goals in a TAC match but is still only slight weighing in at 79kg. If he bulks up a bit he could easily shoot into top ten calculations. The other player I'm monitoring is Hayden McClean who showed some positive signs in the TAC grand final. If these two kick on in 2017 then our existing picks might just about get the deal done, although I still rate Brander & Balta as the standouts.

As far as the mids go, my favourite thus far is Jack Higgins and that's not to say he'll go in the top 10 because he's another midget, but I just see class stamped all over him. He's a genuine goal kicking mid and the times coming through with his running are really promising. James Worpel is a hard and tough inside mid who looks first round material, Cam Raynor, Hunter Clark & Jaidyn Stephenson will also be pressing their claims.

I think the aim here would be to walk away with one key forward & one gun inside mid, also bearing in mind we'll get a classy outside player in Naish. With our two picks I think this is possible and if it turns out that we get another high pick for Martin (although I'd like to keep him) I don't feel as though the sky will be falling in. All it does is puts us in a really strong position to the key forward we desperately need.
if we end up with a 3rd pick would it be silly to use 2 of those picks on key fwds & have a double act for the next decade & in Jacks twilight yrs he can be 3rd tall fwd?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
if we end up with a 3rd pick would it be silly to use 2 of those picks on key fwds & have a double act for the next decade & in Jacks twilight yrs he can be 3rd tall fwd?

Not silly at all, think Roughie & Franklin and how that set up Hawthorn for a decade. Or Riewoldt & Kosi. Get the spine sorted early and the rest of the puzzle becomes much easier to complete.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Darcy Fogarty, One to watch, really looks like a modern defender. Shades of Alex Rance with his attack on the ball and can go into the middle.

At 190cm and 86cm he could be a powerful onball/Third Defender, one to watch folks. I'm a fan.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Not silly at all, think Roughie & Franklin and how that set up Hawthorn for a decade. Or Riewoldt & Kosi. Get the spine sorted early and the rest of the puzzle becomes much easier to complete.

didn't think of it like that. as you say sort out the bookends & building a midfield is the easy bit

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
bullus_hit said:

i would have thought drafting Hodge and Mitchell 3 years earlier set the hawks up just as much as the 04 draft.

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
SCOOP said:
Darcy Fogarty, One to watch, really looks like a modern defender. Shades of Alex Rance with his attack on the ball and can go into the middle.

At 190cm and 86cm he could be a powerful onball/Third Defender, one to watch folks. I'm a fan.
He was on AFL360 tonight and was clearly nervous. Didn't speak well with the most noteworthy comment being "Nah, I'm not quick"

It means nothing I know but I like seeing how these kids handle being in the media.