Hall of Fame | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hall of Fame

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
BluesBloke said:
Can we calm it down in here.

Stevens was an absolute gun. Very well deserves to be in there. If only Carlton or Richmond had players with a fifth of the heart he played with.

Next legend should be Carey. Best centre half-forward of all time. No contest.

Did you miss johnny Howat??

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
BluesBloke said:

Stevens was an absolute gun. Very well deserves to be in there. If only Carlton or Richmond had players with a fifth of the heart he played with.

Would you be adding Stevens before e.g. Wayne Johnston? 'Nuff said.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Pandaboy said:
I cant stand that arguement, drives me nuts. Being a premiership player means didley squat in regards to personal achievements. It means u were lucky enough to play in a good side at the right time.

Is Mitch Morton automatcally considered a 20% player being labelled a premiership player?

Agreed i must say ive never been a wrap for that crap either.

Capuano was a premiership player too wasnt he???

Every Flag winning side has the odd passenger or c grader that pinches a medal and earns emselves a spot in history.

Doesnt automatically make em better players.

Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett Snr, Paul Kelly, Gary Wilson, Bernie Quinlan, Robert Flower, Dougie Hawkins, Robert Harvey, Jimmy Stynes, Peter Moore, Chris Grant, Matty Knights, Ross Glendinning, Trevor Barker, Maurice Rioli, none of those champs won premierships and the Mortons, Capuanos, Freames and the like wouldnt tie their boot laces.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Would you be adding Stevens before e.g. Wayne Johnston? 'Nuff said.

The "Dominator" was a gun especially in the big games, as a tiger youngster i hated the Blues soooo much i hated Johnston!!

In fact i hated Kenny Hunter and Mike Fitzpatrick and Rod Ashman and Phil Maylin, Wow Jones, Meldrum, Glascott, McConville, Marcou and Buckley, and the "flying Doormat" Doull, Maclure, and of course "the Buzz" Bosustow.

Then came Kernahan, Bradley, Naley, Silvagni, Mackay, Diesel Williams, Ian Aitken, Kouta, and Ange, Fraser Brown and Fraser Murphy and Dorotich, that sniper Steve DaRui and Ronnie Delulio....faaaark i hate Carlton.

And then i hated them even more after they traded us Fletcher .....ffs :p

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
BluesBloke said:

Except for Royce Hart

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
BluesBloke said:

Carey best back doorer of all time maybe!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
craig said:
The "Dominator" was a gun especially in the big games, as a tiger youngster i hated the Blues soooo much i hated Johnston!!

In fact i hated Kenny Hunter and Mike Fitzpatrick and Rod Ashman and Phil Maylin, Wow Jones, Meldrum, Glascott, McConville, Marcou and Buckley, and the "flying Doormat" Doull, Maclure, and of course "the Buzz" Bosustow.

Then came Kernahan, Bradley, Naley, Silvagni, Mackay, Diesel Williams, Ian Aitken, Kouta, and Ange, Fraser Brown and Fraser Murphy and Dorotich, that sniper Steve DaRui and Ronnie Delulio....faaaark i hate Carlton.

I always liked Fraser Murphy. No idea why.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just watching the Hall of Fame on Fox Footy tonight. Disappointed in having Francis Bourke introduce Mick Malthouse as an inductee only to hear Nick Maxwell and John Worsfold summarise his coaching career, and the questions from Kermit only about his coaching career. What about playing with us......we won a flag in 1980??

The Trevor Barker part was a bit sad.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
craig said:

Has Wow got a nod yet from the AFL ?.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
TigerForce said:
Just watching the Hall of Fame on Fox Footy tonight. Disappointed in having Francis Bourke introduce Mick Malthouse as an inductee only to hear Nick Maxwell and John Worsfold summarise his coaching career, and the questions from Kermit only about his coaching career. What about playing with us......we won a flag in 1980??

The Trevor Barker part was a bit sad.

Trevor Barker was a star. Besides him, it was a very underwhelming hall of fame night.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Some pretty borderline additions this evening.

Brad Hardie had an eye-catching debut season which won him a Brownlow (but not the Footscray b&f); he was pretty good the following year but his Brisbane and Collingwood sojourns were not too memorable. If Hardie gets a gig then a player like Woewodin is entitled to put his hand up.

Trevor Barker... spectacular mark who was capable at ground level and in various positions, but more of a club great than an out-and-out champion. I always feared club stalwarts Cunningham and Burns more when we played the Saints. I dunno... Michael Roach would be a somewhat contentious selection - he flew just as high and kicked 600 goals, but he's not in. Would anyone admit Jeremy Howe in 30 years after a viewing of his highlight reel? Don't reckon he's even close, but I'm not going to say it won't happen.

Ron Evans... two big seasons at 20-21 for two Colemans, then faded and went to play in the WAFL. Is he in as a player or an administrator? Michael Roach has two Colemans...

Deane - don't know enough

Malthouse - no-brainer on his coaching record over a long period

Hunter - that rarest of birds, an admirable Carlton player

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Brad Hardie had an eye-catching debut season which won him a Brownlow (but not the Footscray b&f); he was pretty good the following year but his Brisbane and Collingwood sojourns were not too memorable. If Hardie gets a gig then a player like Woewodin is entitled to put his hand up.

Trevor Barker... spectacular mark who was capable at ground level and in various positions, but more of a club great than an out-and-out champion. I always feared club stalwarts Cunningham and Burns more when we played the Saints. I dunno... Michael Roach would be a somewhat contentious selection - he flew just as high and kicked 600 goals, but he's not in. Would anyone admit Jeremy Howe in 30 years after a viewing of his highlight reel? Don't reckon he's even close, but I'm not going to say it won't happen.

Ron Evans... two big seasons at 20-21 for two Colemans, then faded and went to play in the WAFL. Is he in as a player or an administrator? Michael Roach has two Colemans...

what’s with the $5 frame from dimmys with a cerficate in it? Give them a trophy

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Good speech from Hardie.

Barker was also a successful coach with Sandringham.....and Howe is a universe away from this bloke.

Never knew who Jimmy Deane was from SA, but they said he played with us for 2 seasons.

As for Mick, how about telling everyone who you started with (after Saints)

OldTiger67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 6, 2016
Really good summary from LTRTR!

Malthouse’s Segment focussed on coaching and missing the playing days.

Hardie speech terrific.

Again the great Geoff Raines not inducted. One of the best ever RFC players. TOC.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Never knew who Jimmy Deane was from SA, but they said he played with us for 2 seasons.

Ah, didn't realise it was the same bloke. He finished 5th and 8th in our best & fairest at 26-27yo in the mid-1950's, not exactly a glorious era for us. Despite playing every game in his second year he finished behind Tom Hafey, who by all accounts was an unremarkable player. Won two Magareys (one before Richmond, one after) which probably highlights the gulf in class between the VFL and the rest at the time, which was usually borne out in State football.

Hungry1962

Tiger Cub
Mar 16, 2014
Who was the person at RFC that Malthouse refers to that “he wouldn’t join Richmond while that person was at the club”??

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Hungry1962 said:
Who was the person at RFC that Malthouse refers to that “he wouldn’t join Richmond while that person was at the club”??

Yeah would be interesting to find out.

I also didn't know he had been offered the Richmond job at the end of 1983 before for some reason it was withdrawn.

Given the way we treated coaches back then, and given few Richmond coaches went on to coach other clubs, it was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Hungry1962 said:

Depending on when he said this, I’d suggest that Francis Bourke would be #1 suspect, given the 1982 GF ‘injury test’...

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
lukeanddad said:
Depending on when he said this, I’d suggest that Francis Bourke would be #1 suspect, given the 1982 GF ‘injury test’...
Don’t think so. MM whilst spewing he didn’t get to play doesn’t begrudge Bourke putting him through that test. He said so only recently.