Hall of Fame | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hall of Fame

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hungry1962 said:
Who was the person at RFC that Malthouse refers to that “he wouldn’t join Richmond while that person was at the club”??

Always been good mates with KB so may have been related to Bartlett's sacking/exile.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Hungry1962 said:
Who was the person at RFC that Malthouse refers to that “he wouldn’t join Richmond while that person was at the club”??

The article on the website that can't be named says it was at the end of 1999 when he finished at West Coast and was being courted by Richmond and Collingwood. MM says he would have loved to have coached RFC but there was someone there at the time that he couldn't work with. No idea who it was.

McChins sold the Collingwood vision of the future and the rest is history.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Ridley said:
The article on the website that can't be named says it was at the end of 1999 when he finished at West Coast and was being courted by Richmond and Collingwood. MM says he would have loved to have coached RFC but there was someone there at the time that he couldn't work with. No idea who it was.

Leon Daphne, Jim Malone, Greg beck?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Ridley said:

Casey or Bradshaw?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hungry1962 said:

Clay Sampson, Johnny Rombitis? :clap

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
toby64 said:
Yeah would be interesting to find out.

I also didn't know he had been offered the Richmond job at the end of 1983 before for some reason it was withdrawn.

Given the way we treated coaches back then, and given few Richmond coaches went on to coach other clubs, it was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

Same here....and twice. They took off the 2nds coach chance also from him. WTF??

I watched all of the Hall of Fame but never heard him say this. Was this from a different interview?

What a *smile* up we made. I reckon we cursed ourselves at the end of 1982.

The person he couldn't work with (~ 1999) would've been someone on the board (name escapes me) as it wasn't just Micky who didn't like him.

Gary Krauss, Mick Humphris or could be Leon Daphne.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
What's this 'enemies' thing with Figgy and Micky again? Cold War has erupted again....good keep it going. Any disruption to the Chokers is good for everyone.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
TigerForce said:
What's this 'enemies' thing with Figgy and Micky again? Cold War has erupted again....good keep it going. Any disruption to the Chokers is good for everyone.

Why didn’t Buckley come out 2 or 3 years ago and say that Malthouse was his ‘enemy’
Because they were *smile* and he was half a game away from getting the ass (hawthorn game). That’s why!
Considering he is 8th year he hasn’t got much to crow about. He actually thinks he is a good coach.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
zippadeee said:
Why didn’t Buckley come out 2 or 3 years ago and say that Malthouse was his ‘enemy’
Because they were sh!t and he was half a game away from getting the ass (hawthorn game). That’s why!
Considering he is 8th year he hasn’t got much to crow about. He actually thinks he is a good coach.

Spot on. I can see his changed body language as now he presents himself as if he's a premiership coach.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
I was surprised at how good Hardie's stats at Brisbane were when they mentioned them at one point.

Yes, ~190 goals from 101 games at Brisbane is handy (would be outstanding in the current era), although Melbourne's Ricky Jackson kicked ~130 goals from 78 games in the same period and earned more Brownlow votes.

Is Hardie named if he finishes a vote behind Justin Madden instead of a vote in front? Not convinced, but I've probably sold him a little short.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Hungry1962 said:

My money would be on Tony Jewell

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
se7en said:
My money would be on Tony Jewell

Mal Brown? When did Brown finish working for Richmond. Brown and Malthouse clashed when Mick was coaching the Eagles.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yes, ~190 goals from 101 games at Brisbane is handy (would be outstanding in the current era), although Melbourne's Ricky Jackson kicked ~130 goals from 78 games in the same period and earned more Brownlow votes.

The Bears were totally *smile* for most of that period too IIRC. Never a huge fan of BH but that's a fair effort.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
tigerman said:
Mal Brown? When did Brown finish working for Richmond. Brown and Malthouse clashed when Mick was coaching the Eagles.

I was thinking him too. But Im not sure he was in an official role at the club at that stage.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
toby64 said:
I was thinking him too. But Im not sure he was in an official role at the club at that stage.

Mal Brown was at the tigers from 1994 -1996?
unsure when he finished up, but i thought he was only there for a couple of years.
Just long enough to get Northey out.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Can't believe Carey and Ablett aren't legends.
If there is a level above Legends both deserve it.
Alongside Lockett they're the best 3 players ive ever seen.
Im pretty sure by the end of castagna's career he will be sitting besides these 4.