Hard to get excited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hard to get excited

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Finding it very hard to get enthused over the games to date.

Just watching the Giants v. Swans and it is a bit of a yawn.

Footy seems to have changed and not for the better with these new rules..if that is the problem.

Far too many little dinky short kicks to a undefended player who then also does the same.

I think Dimma made mention of the uncontested marks, which I think are the result of these little dinks.

Maybe it is just me wanting our game to be what is was, exciting with high marks, man on man with good tackles and goals galore.

Reactions: 3 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
This is what I meant when referring to what Dimma said.

Attachments

• short kicks.PNG
    short kicks.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 66

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Yep...will just be a fairly casual watch this year for me. Obviously besides the last 4 years if we hadn’t gone so well it’s all local football for me now. Don’t bother watching any other game besides the Tigers as I just don’t enjoy it as much as I used too.

I enjoy all the melts on here though after a loss still.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Finding it very hard to get enthused over the games to date.

Just watching the Giants v. Swans and it is a bit of a yawn.

Footy seems to have changed and not for the better with these new rules..if that is the problem.

Far too many little dinky short kicks to a undefended player who then also does the same.

I think Dimma made mention of the uncontested marks, which I think are the result of these little dinks.

Maybe it is just me wanting our game to be what is was, exciting with high marks, man on man with good tackles and goals galore.
You're not supposed to be getting excited n enthusiastic just yet graystar.
Firstly, it's not a Tigers game you're watching .
Secondly, It's just a practice match getting ready for the season to start.
Unless it's us playing n trialing a bunch of our youngsters, you should be viewing the game with a mild interest in which teams seem to be adapting to the new style of game easily. Or which team appears to have taken a step up on the improvement ladder and might come into contention during the year.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
For some reason the AFL think an uncontested free flowing high scoring game is a better spectacle.

Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
For some reason the AFL think an uncontested free flowing high scoring game is a better spectacle.
The game has been transformed into a social engineering vehicle and re bored to try and attract the interest of those with no ability to focus on anything for more than 10 minutes and that will alienate more fans than it attracts.

Oh and of course to increase ad revenue for the corporates.

Last season was a great opportunity for Beta Testing, and I'm expecting their tweaks and changes from last season to be mission crept into the game in the near future. Shortened games and more of them is where it will head, less contact less players on the field blah blah blah they will try it all on.

Crowds will initially flock back because the game is a religion and people have missed it.

But !!!!

Continue going down this pathway and people will start dropping off.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
Chill guys! When was the last time you could read anything into practice games? (let alone pre-season NAB Cup!!)

Lets wait until season starts - then the coaches (and teams) will play their hand.......

Reactions: 4 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Hmm , I reckon the game looks a heap easier . The player with ball in hand can put the kettle on before deciding on an option and then pull the trigger with next to zero pressure . Was psd we managed to uphold a strong defence and were hard to score against , we did however have to adapt , because you have to or be left standing in lieu of rule changes .
I was happy with the rules , I just love the contest , despite popular opinion last yr , I liked the rfc v coll game 5G ea coz it was such an absorbing contest , it saddens me if that era has now closed

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Chill guys! When was the last time you could read anything into practice games? (let alone pre-season NAB Cup!!)

Lets wait until season starts - then the coaches (and teams) will play their hand.......
Yes I agree, It will be different main season to a degree I am certain as it always is.

However the fact these wankers are continually pushing change will slowly end up disenfranchising many within the fan base.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm sure it will be different in the main season.

Many will look at the score from the Port v Tiges prelim and complain about the low scoring but that was one of the most absorbing contests I've ever seen, literally edge of your seat stuff.

I hope the contest is still there once we get to the real thing in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'm sure it will be different in the main season.

Many will look at the score from the Port v Tiges prelim and complain about the low scoring but that was one of the most absorbing contests I've ever seen, literally edge of your seat stuff.

I hope the contest is still there once we get to the real thing in a couple of weeks.
It should be there Posh I agree here's hoping.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Unfortunately they most certainly do !
Were you being sarcastic?

Nope, I keep hearing the AFL will fall in heap because of these rule changes yet crowds, memberships and TV revenue keep going up - COVID19 excepted.

I'm still intending to go to the footy this year and it will take more than a trivial rule change to stop me

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The devotion of supporters to our game is, and for decades has been, phenomenal.

Which is why I cannot understand why they want to keep messing with what has been a very popular sport.

I won't lose enthusiasm but if the game turns into a series of short kicks, or the players just running up and down the ground all day, then we will have lost a lot of its appeal.

You don't have to sanitise the game, you don't need to have the ball pinging from one end to the other to get high scores, we had high scores in the 1970s without a sanitised game.

DS

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
We also had 120 thousand at the GF years ago...not anymore.
So the numbers tell us that people are no longer interested in the AFL grand final like they were 50 years ago.
Hmmm.....well, like I said, numbers do lie.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So the numbers tell us that people are no longer interested in the AFL grand final like they were 50 years ago.
Hmmm.....well, like I said, numbers do lie.

GF sold out then, sells out now. No difference ;-)

To address your point seriously, yes numbers can be interpreted in different and sometimes misleading ways. But saying that the game will fall in a heap imminently because of rule changes seems like a big stretch to me.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I will say something against the grain, I reckon the games appear too long now , prob 18+ would have been right size . 34/35 min qtr are bs

• Wow

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
That's because they had so much standing room and allowed people to sit between the boundary line and the fence.

The GF could sell twice over the capacity these days. Think of 2017 with Punt Rd Oval selling to thousands just to watch on a big screen.