Hardest loses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardest loses

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
My top 3 vomit loses.
1. Preliminary final 18
2. Round 2 2016
3. Carlton Elimination final..

Special mentions,
North final
Port final
Anytime we have lost to Collingwood

Reactions: 2 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I think the first five you mention are the most recent heart breakers with the PF clearly the most devastating.

2017 - the consecutive close and controversial losses to Freo and GWS in the first half of 2017. I was gutted with those two - but it worked out alright in the end I think!

2015 - the last minute loss to Freo due to Houli's inexplicable kick out up the guts was horrible also.

2012 - The three in a row less than a goal losses were really hard to take. The Gold Coast debacle was beyond belief, only to be followed by close losses to Norf and Carlton.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Roos loss in Elimination final ,let’s not speak of that again

Blues Elimination in 2013

GWS in 2017

Not sure the year but the Dees beating us in the last round of the year needing to win to make finals, Farmer kicked a few I think

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
'19 prelim was the most horrendous day or night I've ever had at the footy

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think you might mean the ’18 prelim eZyT..........the 19 Prelim was heaven

yeah that the one. psychological coping strategy. My mind has erased 2019 so it doesn't exist. I can't even say it or write it.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I'm *smile* with years and rounds, but that game against essendon where Richo kicked the winning goal, only for the maggot to pay a free against then a bloody fifty metre penalty to give them the game, absolutely boiled my *smile*

Reactions: 8 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
1982 Grand Final
2012 loss to the Suns In Cairns:vomit
2014 & 2015 Elimination Finals against Port & Norf
2013 loss to the Blues ***** Nick ****** Duigan kicked 4goals, please!!!!

Reactions: 3 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
The first round smashings were always my worst. There was one against the dogs where we lost by 100 points and the Cousins game. Knowing the season was done just 2 hours after it started used to make me really depressed.

Reactions: 3 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I remember being gutted when Richo was called for illegal shepherding of the ball over the goal line for what would have been the winning goal against the Swans Rd4 1996 (I think). This free never gets called. Only against Richo and the Tiges. It was the same feeling as the BS hands in the back Richo copped against Essendon. Geez we had some heart breakers over the journey.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The worse losses.
Geez over the last 40 years there are a million to choose from.
Take away recent seasons.
The ones that stand out for me,
*The day Collingwood came back from 8 goals down at VFL park 87.
*1990 a week after beating stkilda and going to vic park and getting slapped.
*The day Cloke ripped Rance a new one.
*The day Dihack did that shinmy rubbing shiitt in our faces.
*93 Fosters Cup GF
*Round 1 93.
*Ballaynte's winner at subico.
*Round 1 1983 Fraser Murphy tore us a new open.
*Round 1 1994. Footscray thanks to the umpires won.
*football park 97 or 98. Cricket scores.
*vfl park 94 Richo gives away a free kick against Sydney.

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
There are unfortunately too many. The Bombers used to do it all the time. There was that belting from Sydney that just topped off the 2016 season, and then the thumping from Geelong in 2007 (is that our worst ever loss?). The day Dunstall kicked 17 against us.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I was sitting right behind the goals at that game.

I never yell out much at the footy but I was up out of my seat screaming not to go down the middle. You can actually see me on the replay.

It felt like a slow motion scene in a movie, I could see the thoughts rolling through Houli's head and the trap being set by Freo.

Other than that, the North final hit me the hardest. Over that off-season I wasn't sure I had it in me to go again.

I was flat as a tack for ages after the north loss.
But if you watch any game prior to 2017, our game style was crap. Slow amd robotic.
When we had players in the open, we would go back over the mark.
Best example of this is the Treloar game of 2016.
We had 3-4 chances in the last 5 minutes to go forward and score, but went slow and at the end, some Rance specials cost us a win that just took the stuffing out of our 2016 season.
That loss hurt for a very long time too.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
yeah that the one. psychological coping strategy. My mind has erased 2019 so it doesn't exist. I can't even say it or write it.
Was only eased slightly the following week watching those copycats flush a 5 goal head start down the toilet and lose in the circumstances they did :rotfl1:banana. Plus winning in 2019 has vindicated the fact that we had an off night in 2018.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Is there any competition here? The 82 GF led us down the path to the longest drought in the club's history, financial ruin, and almost non-existence. I had a feeling we were gonna blow it so declined a ticket on the day. It all seems like a bad dream now, but could so easily happen again.

Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The Geelong loss in RD 21 of 2016 was the final straw that year. Lost to the saints in a close one the following week and the thrashing to the swans in the final rd to end perhaps the most depressing season in recent memory (from a large list)

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The first round smashings were always my worst. There was one against the dogs where we lost by 100 points and the Cousins game. Knowing the season was done just 2 hours after it started used to make me really depressed.

Carlton fans now know that feeling well and truly.