Hardest loses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardest loses

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
correct. i was at both games.
Yep, forget the last round loss to eventual Premiers North in 1996. We missed the finals because we lost back-to-back 1 point games. The Richo shepherd to disallow Bondy's goal at Waverley and then Naishy missing from 35 metres on a slight angle after the siren at the Cattery. I remember the Cats game vividly, as I had an annoying woman standing behind us screeching 'go Catters' all day. I would have loved for Naishy's goal to have gone through that day for several reasons :)

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon mrs.ez kicked me out of the house that night.

the kids were little and I think I kicked a stubby off the coffee table and accidentally busted it and a lamp.

:mhihi

We've all been there, either gone off ones tits, or busted or thrown something at some stage over the years of heartbreak.

I've had to replace a few items over those years I must admit .................................................................................................................

Any loss to the Maggots in the recent years especially with Figgy and McChins running the show has really boiled my pisss.

2018 was devastating but it was over early thankfully and I switched off and launched myself straight into denial.

The elimination losses to Port Kangas and Blues were all agonising, and all added to the Richmond derision.

The 3 losses by a point, the loss to the Suns (thanx Tommy Derrickx).

And the mother of them all the 1982 GF that was my first real dose of pain as a Tigers fan.

Had D'amico not run on the ground when she did, had Bruce Tempany not busted his arm, and had Stephen Pirrie not done his knee a few weeks prior the RFC wouldve won the 82 GF IMO.

Malthouse and Preston also were unavailable, but the RFC still a bloody great side on the park which included the magnificent Maurice Rioli.

It was probably the one that got away for the RFC, and the fallout kept us in the wilderness for 37 years, no one could envision the future ahead from that final siren that day.

From the moment Pirrie did his knee against the Kangas at Arden Street a week or two out from the finals in 82 things seemed to turn against the Tigers somewhat, and the rest as they say .................................

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
launched myself straight into denial.

:rotfl2

Us tigers became to denial launching what Jordan was to hang time

These days what do we do?

drink ourselves into revelry? loot our souls for joy? baste our face with grins?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
:rotfl2

Us tigers became to denial launching what Jordan was to hang time

These days what do we do?

drink ourselves into revelry? loot our souls for joy? baste our face with grins?

Just enjoy every *smile* moment for our long awaited time in the sun, for the wheel of time will eventually turn against the RFC as our leaders age and depart.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Both wrong I'm afraid. That was the season the 'push in the back' rule changed to the 'hands in the back' rule because forwards were hurling themselves forward in marking contests and making it impossible to adjudicate. (Sound familiar?)

They made the rule much more simple, you couldn't put your hands on your opponents back, if you pushed or not. If you wanted to hold ground you did it with hips, arms or chest.

It was a great change and made a difficult rule much more simple and they stuck with it until the start of last season which is a mistake in my opinion.

Under that rule there is no doubt that was a free kick because the only question is did he touch his back with his hands? There's no question he did.

As for the 50, the second whistle clearly goes and then he takes a couple more steps and kicks the ball. I've sat in 10 umpire rules briefings now and in every one the same slide comes up. If the second whistle goes, stop. There's no second whistle on an advantage, mark, or free kick your way.

Umm, I wasn't aware that the Essendon player's arm was part of his back.

I was well aware of the rule, and am also well aware of the umpire's incorrect call.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
The Geelong loss in RD 21 of 2016 was the final straw that year. Lost to the saints in a close one the following week and the thrashing to the swans in the final rd to end perhaps the most depressing season in recent memory (from a large list)
Funny enough I didn't mind this one. I thought this game really showed the group how to play. They got very close and Geelong were panicking. We hadn't put genuine fear into them in years. I was really encouraged by that game. I thought that game put us on the track to 2017.

Reactions: 1 users

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Last game in 1996, after making the Preliminary final in 95, all we had to do was beat Norf in the last game to make the finals. There was nothing in it at 3/4 time, but it wasn't to be, Norf kicked about 10 goals in the last quarter.

Yup, this one was a shocker. That was the "old shinboners" game for me. #lolNorf had that fighting spirit and you could never write them off. This was the full sinking feeling in the bottom of your stomach known to Tiger supporters. That time (that went on for decades?) 30 points up going in to the last was no guarantee. We could always drop our bundle, and often did.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland

Try this video and hit pause at 7.39. You will see Richo's hand right in the centre of the second 2 on his back.

It was always a *smile* rule and this was it at its worst (of course against us!). "The centre of the second 2" is not the middle of his back, it is barely on his right shoulder. Like watching that terrible call against Jack for the stupid AFL House over-reaction to the Toby Green boot-to-the-face that Riewoldt copped.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yup, this one was a shocker. That was the "old shinboners" game for me. #lolNorf had that fighting spirit and you could never write them off. This was the full sinking feeling in the bottom of your stomach known to Tiger supporters. That time (that went on for decades?) 30 points up going in to the last was no guarantee. We could always drop our bundle, and often did.

Craig Scholl iirc was the 'Duigan that game" I think he popped up and kicked 4 or 5 goals.

Yep the only panacaea for that loss was that the Roos were a bloody good side at their peak and they took the Flag that year and then blew thier chance at a second flag against the Crows in 98.

1996 was the closest the great Plugger came to being a Premiership Player.

We smashed the Roys in their final MCG game the week before which was a pretty *smile* day and the most hollow win I can recall.

Sad day that was in round 21.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Craig Scholl iirc was the 'Duigan that game" I think he popped up and kicked 4 or 5 goals.

Yep the only panacaea for that loss was that the Roos were a bloody good side at their peak and they took the Flag that year and then blew thier chance at a second flag against the Crows in 98.

1996 was the closest the great Plugger came to being a Premiership Player.

We smashed the Roys in their final MCG game the week before which was a pretty **** day and the most hollow win I can recall.

Sad day that was in round 21.

Yup. That was back when I was a Reserved Seat member. I don't remember Scholl that game but the stats say he kicked 5. Richo banged 6. The Roys game we had a twit in a box behind us throw his beer over us when Knights sucked someone into that free on the boundary.

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
2018 prelim still hurts.

- the look of glee in Eddy McChins eyes when interviewed before the game, as if he knew something we didn’t. (I’ve sometimes wandered if he had he heard that some of the richmond players were crook and was salivating, or whether there was any truth to the rumour)

- the way they split us open in the first qtr combined with uncharacteristically down performances from some key personnel

- Having to watch a 12 foot preying mantis that usually has the dexterity of a new born giraffe mark the ball like never before or will again

- the smug look on the faces of Collonwood friends, combined with their decree that The Tiges had been put back in their place.

- Having to stomach the look on Buckley’s face like he was a seasoned general that had just conquered another continent for Caesar.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, may the universe bless Dom Sheed always.

Reactions: 3 users

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
That #lolNorf loss might be the game where I saw Carey bend gravity. He took off from half back with the ball still in dispute and you could see the whole field shift its collective weight. It took nearly a minute for the ball to get there, but there was no question that was where it would end up. He had conjured a gravity well at half forward and no force in the universe could have stopped it. He either ends up with a that ball or a mini black hole opens up 45m out at the Punt Road End. They were the only two options.

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
2018 prelim still hurts.

- the look of glee in Eddy McChins eyes when interviewed before the game, as if he knew something we didn’t. (I’ve sometimes wandered if he had he heard that some of the richmond players were crook and was salivating, or whether there was any truth to the rumour)

- the way they split us open in the first qtr combined with uncharacteristically down performances from some key personnel

- Having to watch a 12 foot preying mantis that usually has the dexterity of a new born giraffe mark the ball like never before or will again

- the smug look on the faces of Collonwood friends, combined with their decree that The Tiges had been put back in their place.

- Having to stomach the look on Buckley’s face like he was a seasoned general that had just conquered another continent for Caesar.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, may the universe bless Dom Sheed always.

Here here !!

All Tiger Fans no doubt have a soft spot for one D Sheed, he eased alot of the pain from the week before in a glorious way.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
That #lolNorf loss might be the game where I saw Carey bend gravity. He took off from half back with the ball still in dispute and you could see the whole field shift its collective weight. It took nearly a minute for the ball to get there, but there was no question that was where it would end up. He had conjured a gravity well at half forward and no force in the universe could have stopped it. He either ends up with a that ball or a mini black hole opens up 45m out at the Punt Road End. They were the only two options.

Carey he would just slay us, just as Dunstall and Dermie and Plugger and Gary Senior would.

Modra and Sumich and Longmire also had their days out against us as well.

Sheeet even Gavan Exell slayed us a few times for the Cats

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Carey he would just slay us, just as Dunstall and Dermie and Plugger and Gary Senior would.

Modra and Sumich and Longmire also had their days out against us as well.

Sheeet even Gavan Exell slayed us a few times for the Cats

Gavin Exell unbelievable.
Simon Verbeek saved his best against us.
How about Dean Rice? Kicked 5 or 6 in round 1 in 91 or 92 against us.
The left footer that usually played in the back line for the doggies kicked 6 against us at the Telstra dome.
Jason Gram kicked 4 in a half against us.
Even Kosi would love to play against us.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Gavin Exell unbelievable.
Simon Verbeek saved his best against us.
How about Dean Rice? Kicked 5 or 6 in round 1 in 91 or 92 against us.
The left footer that usually played in the back line for the doggies kicked 6 against us at the Telstra dome.
Jason Gram kicked 4 in a half against us.
Even Kosi would love to play against us.

We've made Waite and Petrie look like superstars too. There was a pretty substantial movement, including some on here, trying to sell Cloke as the next big thing. The return of the monster forward. How'd that work out? I reckon the same lot are trying to talk up Darcy *smile* Moore! Some people really over-estimate players that have a day out against us. Cloke even tried to pull a Sheedy and use us as leverage with the Pies over contracts IIRC.

But back to the topic at hand, the game where Cotch went after Treloar and had to eat humble "Pie" will always stick in my craw.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Try this video and hit pause at 7.39. You will see Richo's hand right in the centre of the second 2 on his back.

Still reckon claiming his hand was in his back is pushing it, more side IMO and not so much hand in side as side heading towards hand, the Essendon player was moving backwards - how do you stop putting your hand in his side when he moves backwards towards you?

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I went to the 82 GF with my dad. Obviously devastated by the loss but I’m not sure we were the best team that year. We lost 4 home and away games. 2 to Carlton and 2 to Hawthorn. Hawks got beaten in PF. We beat Carlton in 2nd semi but lost in GF. So our overall record against the other 2 top 3 teams was 1 win 5 losses.

The 2013 EF loss is the one that gets me. Wanted to vomit the whole way home.

I was always relieved to dodge the Hawks in 70 and 80s finals series .... Never felt we had their measure (until 2018)