Hardest loses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardest loses

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Cheers mate. Geez that game was so bad it’s impacted my memory. I could have sworn we were already 10 goals down at half time.
Turned to *smile* pretty quickly from half time. Richo kicked 4 and was rushed back from injury to play, too.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Other than that, the North final hit me the hardest. Over that off-season I wasn't sure I had it in me to go again.

felt the same after the North final. losing to the Blooze in our first final in 20years i could forgive, as i was happy we made it, the port final while disappointing, was also on the cards after our finish to the season- if it wasnt that week it prob would have been the next.
2015 though we were in with a chance to win the flag i thought, our best was as good as the teams above us, - north beat a beat up swans the next week.
to lose to an ordinary team, with so many of out stars not playing well hurt.
that loss did test my commitment a bit.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not even close to being similar, apart from the results..

Brown was kicking the ball and Whelan dived to try and smother and landed on his leg due to the tackler behind shifting Brown off the kick. Just a terribly unfortunate accident.

Thomas slid into Rohan's legs to win a disputed ground ball before Rohan could pick it up. Bloody dangerous and now rightfully illegal.

The ball was no near the smother.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Richo Dreamtime robbery - angriest I've ever been at a game
Port elimination final - most shell-shocked
Cocaine Karmichael - most embarrassed
Swans 2016 - couldn't watch the last bit

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There were so many but I recall a game against sydney in about round 13 in 2017 when we dominated the first half and lost and after all the close losses before it I thought here we go again.

That was the game Shai showed he had it. He roved a pack spill and kicked a goal IIRC and kicked another early and you knew we had found another one. But we did lead by 30 odd points and lost and after those heartbreaking losses earlier it was a tough one to swallow.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
That was the game Shai showed he had it. He roved a pack spill and kicked a goal IIRC and kicked another early and you knew we had found another one. But we did lead by 30 odd points and lost and after those heartbreaking losses earlier it was a tough one to swallow.
yes, he was electric in the 1st quarter as I recall

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Funny enough I didn't mind this one. I thought this game really showed the group how to play. They got very close and Geelong were panicking. We hadn't put genuine fear into them in years. I was really encouraged by that game. I thought that game put us on the track to 2017.
After the previous 3 years 2016 was meant to be different. We had shown we could play over those previous 3 years by regularity beating the likes of hawthorn Fremantle swans etc. this was the first time we were going to beat the cats in what seemed like forever, like a little brother finally getting on top in a wrestle over the older brother. We were 40 odd points up and they get us again. Deflating. Proved our mental fragility. The flogging by Sydney 2 rounds later was bitter. Can still remember KB being livid on SEN about such an indsipid performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Try this video and hit pause at 7.39. You will see Richo's hand right in the centre of the second 2 on his back.

Pause it a second earlier and the hand is nearly under the armpit. Michael continues to push back into Richo and turns as he realises he's under the ball.

It was a new rule which made it controversial. In the past Richo would've been deemed to be "holding his ground".

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That elimination final loss to Port was bloody hard but I remember watching the first quarter and Port were unbelievable, not sure who would have stopped them the way they were playing.

You knew we needed to go up a few notches to be competitive in September but geez they were amazing from memory (having never ever watched the game again!).

In a sense I accepted that as we just weren't at their level that game.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
After the previous 3 years 2016 was meant to be different. We had shown we could play over those previous 3 years by regularity beating the likes of hawthorn Fremantle swans etc. this was the first time we were going to beat the cats in what seemed like forever, like a little brother finally getting on top in a wrestle over the older brother. We were 40 odd points up and they get us again. Deflating. Proved our mental fragility. The flogging by Sydney 2 rounds later was bitter. Can still remember KB being livid on SEN about such an indsipid performance.

That game against the Cats was horrific, far worse IMO than getting flogged the whole game. To be 40 odd points up and lose the lot in the final quarter. My daughters were 8 and 6 at the time, and I remember the oldest turning to me as that lead was decimated, proclaiming "why are they doing this" and I had nothing I could say.

All in all, I haven't been a Tiger as long as you guys, I moved to Australia in 2010, went to my first game in 2011 and I've been hooked since.

Reading through this whole thread and the hurt of some of the past games, made me think about my support of both Richmond but also about my team back in the UK (Peterborough United), some of the hard losses I'd been through there. I remember heaps, losing 5-0 at home on Boxing Day was a great Christmas haha. I remember going on an away trip to a place called Lincoln, where we were caught in traffic, ended up being 5 mins late, walking through the turnstile and we hear the home crowd cheer as they score, turn to my mum and say "Oh no we are already losing 1-0" and the steward at the gate turned to me and said "no you aren't, its 2-0!!". An away trip on a cold Tuesday night deep in winter to Walsall, we lost 5-0 and had 2 players sent off for fighting with each other, walking away from the ground 1 of their fans said to me "don't be so glum, it could have been worse" and the frustrating thing was that I couldn't argue with that haha. Its tough travelling for 3 and a half hours by yourself on a train from South London to Accrington to be leading 2-1 and then lose 3-2 with a goal in the last minute.

Reading this thread it feels like Richmond were always going to be my club as soon as I left the UK. Its like 2 peas in a pod.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Our loss to the Blues in the elimination when they finished *smile* 9th but still got the game thanks to the Essendon drugs scandal was the worst for me. We lost an elimination final. It was against Carlton. Carlton didn't even qualify for Finals.

Nothing worse than that.

Gaspargate, when we got hammered by 35.22 (222) to 9.11 (65) bu the Cats is another that hurts. More because it seemed to be the trigger for the Cats era of domination.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
That game against the Cats was horrific, far worse IMO than getting flogged the whole game. To be 40 odd points up and lose the lot in the final quarter. My daughters were 8 and 6 at the time, and I remember the oldest turning to me as that lead was decimated, proclaiming "why are they doing this" and I had nothing I could say.

All in all, I haven't been a Tiger as long as you guys, I moved to Australia in 2010, went to my first game in 2011 and I've been hooked since.

Reading through this whole thread and the hurt of some of the past games, made me think about my support of both Richmond but also about my team back in the UK (Peterborough United), some of the hard losses I'd been through there. I remember heaps, losing 5-0 at home on Boxing Day was a great Christmas haha. I remember going on an away trip to a place called Lincoln, where we were caught in traffic, ended up being 5 mins late, walking through the turnstile and we hear the home crowd cheer as they score, turn to my mum and say "Oh no we are already losing 1-0" and the steward at the gate turned to me and said "no you aren't, its 2-0!!". An away trip on a cold Tuesday night deep in winter to Walsall, we lost 5-0 and had 2 players sent off for fighting with each other, walking away from the ground 1 of their fans said to me "don't be so glum, it could have been worse" and the frustrating thing was that I couldn't argue with that haha. Its tough travelling for 3 and a half hours by yourself on a train from South London to Accrington to be leading 2-1 and then lose 3-2 with a goal in the last minute.

Reading this thread it feels like Richmond were always going to be my club as soon as I left the UK. Its like 2 peas in a pod.
Great stories mrposhman! I can feel the pain of those games through your writing. You were very well trained to be a Tigers fan!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Gaspargate, when we got hammered by 35.22 (222) to 9.11 (65) bu the Cats is another that hurts. More because it seemed to be the trigger for the Cats era of domination.

I can't recall why that game was called Gaspargate; can you please clarify Baloo?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I can't recall why that game was called Gaspargate; can you please clarify Baloo?

Wallace sacked Gaspar during that week. If I remember correctly he told Gas that he wouldn't be playing seniors again.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
The 2013 and 2015 EF losses are hard to split. Both hit me real hard. Here’s one out of left field... the last H&A game of the 1998 season when we had to win to make the 8. We got belted by Melb. Absolutely shattered. That was probably the only time I almost felt like giving up following the Tiges.
Yep Draga. That Melbourne game was by far the worst.

The scenario - Ladder after Round 21

6 Ade
21​
48​
122.8​
7 WC
21​
48​
111.5​
8 Ess
21​
48​
109.7​
9 Ric
21​
48​
109.4​

The three teams above us played on the Saturday in Round 22. Our game was on the Sunday.

Round 22
Geelong 19. 13. 127 d
Essendon 18. 9. 117

Adelaide 15. 16. 106 d
West Coast 12. 9. 81

The Round 22 ladder when we played - We were 10 points clear of 10th team Port. We needed a win - a draw - or at worst a very narrow loss.

7 WC
22​
48​
109.4​
8 Ric
21​
48​
109.4​
9 Ess
22​
48​
108.6​

We whimpered out of the race - scared - gutless - and got rag-dolled. A capitulation. It was another hope-killing Richmond performance, like so many we had seen since 1982.

Melbourne
5.5 6.10 12.14 19.19​
133​
Sun 30-Aug-1998 2:10 PM Att: 76,387 Venue: M.C.G.
Richmond
1.2 4.3 6.9 8.9​
57​
Melbourne won by 76 pts

A drop of 4.6 % - missing finals and leading to a classic Ninthmond finish to a season.

7 WC
22​
48​
109.4​
8 Ess
22​
48​
108.6​
9 Ric
22​
48​
104.8​

Some things you see can never be forgotten. This.