Hardest loses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardest loses

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Great stories mrposhman! I can feel the pain of those games through your writing. You were very well trained to be a Tigers fan!

When I was a kid no-one would say that, we were a powerhouse. Pain was for Collingwood supporters, or Fitzroy, South Melbourne, not for Richmond supporters.

That long period of mediocrity changed Richmond and we need to expunge it forever.

DS

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Pause it a second earlier and the hand is nearly under the armpit. Michael continues to push back into Richo and turns as he realises he's under the ball.

It was a new rule which made it controversial. In the past Richo would've been deemed to be "holding his ground".

Which is the case again now

Reactions: 1 user

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
When I was a kid no-one would say that, we were a powerhouse. Pain was for Collingwood supporters, or Fitzroy, South Melbourne, not for Richmond supporters.

That long period of mediocrity changed Richmond and we need to expunge it forever.

DS
Agree DS. I started when we were a power, then most of my adult life we ranged from poor to frustrating, with some good stuff sprinkled in.

Hopefully we can maintain our excellence and ensure we are always a strong club and competing team.

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Yep Draga. That Melbourne game was by far the worst.

The scenario - Ladder after Round 21

6 Ade
21​
48​
122.8​
7 WC
21​
48​
111.5​
8 Ess
21​
48​
109.7​
9 Ric
21​
48​
109.4​

The three teams above us played on the Saturday in Round 22. Our game was on the Sunday.

Round 22
Geelong 19. 13. 127 d
Essendon 18. 9. 117

Adelaide 15. 16. 106 d
West Coast 12. 9. 81

The Round 22 ladder when we played - We were 10 points clear of 10th team Port. We needed a win - a draw - or at worst a very narrow loss.

7 WC
22​
48​
109.4​
8 Ric
21​
48​
109.4​
9 Ess
22​
48​
108.6​

We whimpered out of the race - scared - gutless - and got rag-dolled. A capitulation. It was another hope-killing Richmond performance, like so many we had seen since 1982.

Melbourne
5.5 6.10 12.14 19.19​
133​
Sun 30-Aug-1998 2:10 PM Att: 76,387 Venue: M.C.G.
Richmond
1.2 4.3 6.9 8.9​
57​
Melbourne won by 76 pts

A drop of 4.6 % - missing finals and leading to a classic Ninthmond finish to a season.

7 WC
22​
48​
109.4​
8 Ess
22​
48​
108.6​
9 Ric
22​
48​
104.8​

Some things you see can never be forgotten. This.
Yep one big capitulation and hence the devastation after that pathetic game. Thankfully we have a ruthless Richmond these days.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
That game against the Cats was horrific, far worse IMO than getting flogged the whole game. To be 40 odd points up and lose the lot in the final quarter. My daughters were 8 and 6 at the time, and I remember the oldest turning to me as that lead was decimated, proclaiming "why are they doing this" and I had nothing I could say.

All in all, I haven't been a Tiger as long as you guys, I moved to Australia in 2010, went to my first game in 2011 and I've been hooked since.

Reading through this whole thread and the hurt of some of the past games, made me think about my support of both Richmond but also about my team back in the UK (Peterborough United), some of the hard losses I'd been through there. I remember heaps, losing 5-0 at home on Boxing Day was a great Christmas haha. I remember going on an away trip to a place called Lincoln, where we were caught in traffic, ended up being 5 mins late, walking through the turnstile and we hear the home crowd cheer as they score, turn to my mum and say "Oh no we are already losing 1-0" and the steward at the gate turned to me and said "no you aren't, its 2-0!!". An away trip on a cold Tuesday night deep in winter to Walsall, we lost 5-0 and had 2 players sent off for fighting with each other, walking away from the ground 1 of their fans said to me "don't be so glum, it could have been worse" and the frustrating thing was that I couldn't argue with that haha. Its tough travelling for 3 and a half hours by yourself on a train from South London to Accrington to be leading 2-1 and then lose 3-2 with a goal in the last minute.

Reading this thread it feels like Richmond were always going to be my club as soon as I left the UK. Its like 2 peas in a pod.
What your daughter said about the game reminded me of a story Peter ‘Grubby’ Stubbs (brother of Richard) told on a radio show he used to do. The family are mad keen Swans supporters (they come from South Melbourne). Grubby and his son had just seen them thrashed and it was raining and his son said ‘Dad, why do w do this?’ Grubby snapped back ‘Because we have to!’ Such a supporter thing to say. The hard times make you appreciate the good ones even more.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
That game against the Cats was horrific, far worse IMO than getting flogged the whole game. To be 40 odd points up and lose the lot in the final quarter. My daughters were 8 and 6 at the time, and I remember the oldest turning to me as that lead was decimated, proclaiming "why are they doing this" and I had nothing I could say.

All in all, I haven't been a Tiger as long as you guys, I moved to Australia in 2010, went to my first game in 2011 and I've been hooked since.

Reading through this whole thread and the hurt of some of the past games, made me think about my support of both Richmond but also about my team back in the UK (Peterborough United), some of the hard losses I'd been through there. I remember heaps, losing 5-0 at home on Boxing Day was a great Christmas haha. I remember going on an away trip to a place called Lincoln, where we were caught in traffic, ended up being 5 mins late, walking through the turnstile and we hear the home crowd cheer as they score, turn to my mum and say "Oh no we are already losing 1-0" and the steward at the gate turned to me and said "no you aren't, its 2-0!!". An away trip on a cold Tuesday night deep in winter to Walsall, we lost 5-0 and had 2 players sent off for fighting with each other, walking away from the ground 1 of their fans said to me "don't be so glum, it could have been worse" and the frustrating thing was that I couldn't argue with that haha. Its tough travelling for 3 and a half hours by yourself on a train from South London to Accrington to be leading 2-1 and then lose 3-2 with a goal in the last minute.

Reading this thread it feels like Richmond were always going to be my club as soon as I left the UK. Its like 2 peas in a pod.
And for most English fans an away game isn't the same as your home ground or merely in another suburb of the same city. Imagine travelling every second week the distance of Ballarat, Sale, Warnnambool, swan Hill or Seymour .... Long way to get there trip home worse for the type of beatimgs discussed herein.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
What your daughter said about the game reminded me of a story Peter ‘Grubby’ Stubbs (brother of Richard) told on a radio show he used to do. The family are mad keen Swans supporters (they come from South Melbourne). Grubby and his son had just seen them thrashed and it was raining and his son said ‘Dad, why do w do this?’ Grubby snapped back ‘Because we have to!’ Such a supporter thing to say. The hard times make you appreciate the good ones even more.

My son was born on September 8th 1995 the North final, loss. His 18th Birthday was the Carlton final, heads down the pub with mates to watch the game, another loss. Comes home as shittie as the rest of us saying" I'm jinxed, I will never see a Richmond premiership, Carlton didn't even make finals, really dirty. He goes to me "what do you reckon Dad", I reply "it wasn't as bad as 1982". But deep down I thought it wasn't much of a Birthday.

Last edited:

capitaltige

Yellow and Black!
Nov 17, 2003
My lowest point and hardest loss was round 19, 30th of July 2016 against GWS in Canberra- When the 2016 draw came out I was excited to see that finally the RFC was playing a game in Canberra - I got premium seating for myself, my partner, my daughter and my step son and was expecting to see a decent contest - at qtr time we were down 51 to 1 and I had never seen a more dispirited disgraceful performance from the RFC (and like most people on here I have seen plenty of poor efforts over the years), I remember walking out of Manuka oval after the game (that we lost by 88 points) and saying that we are as far away as being a decent side and winning a premiership as any time since 1980. Only 14 months later I was standing with thousands of other tiger fans at the MCG with a tear in my eye watching Cotch and Dimma hold the premiership cup thinking miracles do happen!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I remember being gutted when Richo was called for illegal shepherding of the ball over the goal line for what would have been the winning goal against the Swans Rd4 1996 (I think). This free never gets called. Only against Richo and the Tiges. It was the same feeling as the BS hands in the back Richo copped against Essendon. Geez we had some heart breakers over the journey.
Worse still, that was a week after we went down to the cats by less than a goal i think at their pretend footy ground. In that game Chris Naish was mugged while trying to mark 20m out directly in front, and somehow there was no whisle.

Those 2 games changed the whole context of that season.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Worse still, that was a week after we went down to the cats by less than a goal i think at their pretend footy ground. In that game Chris Naish was mugged while trying to mark 20m out directly in front, and somehow there was no whisle.

Those 2 games changed the whole context of that season.
Brings up bad memories of Geelong yet again. The night Milburn (a serial thug) body slammed Sheds into the ground and then somehow managed to not get suspended on a technicality. Everything they now get from us they have earned, and it’s going to take a lot of beatings before it’s been paid back.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Brings up bad memories of Geelong yet again. The night Milburn (a serial thug) body slammed Sheds into the ground and then somehow managed to not get suspended on a technicality. Everything they now get from us they have earned, and it’s going to take a lot of beatings before it’s been paid back.
They feel now like the team we need to smash for the next decade.