• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Harley Bennell

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Good old Melbourne. They’ve probably made some of the worst draft debacles in recent times. Jack Watts at #1, then using #1 & #2 on Scully and Trengove. They escape the same sort of criticism we got for selecting Tambling ahead of Buddy, yet they had 2 chances to draft Dusty and didn’t take either of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
melbourne
Arent we looking at young Rhian Cox another aboriginal lad from WA, apparantly another special according to Suma Magic.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Perfect fit. Another Xerox-attempting club.
Thought I'd just come back and clarify that, although I have been firm in advocating that RFC doesn't need to take the risks on Harley at all, I'm happy for the guy to get another (final) chance. I just don't see him as a wise investment though.
Apologies if this has been posted on Marlion's thread or elsewhere, but I caught up with an AGE podcast the other day for Oct.3. I think it was Caroline W who claimed that: Marlion has not touched alcohol since coming out of prison about 10 years ago; that after finsihing up celebrations with his team-mates after the GF, he didn't go out to kick on anywhere, but went home to his wife and kids.
Amusingly, she also said that he was so disappointed to have to finish playing footy, and really would have loved to continue playing next week and beyond. [Why wouldn't ypu after playing in consecutive VFL and AFL premier teams, playing superbly in both, I thought to myself].

But, not sure this sounds like Harley Bennell, certainly not over the last 7/9 years or whatever his career has struggled. But he seems to maybe have settled down now with a first child of his own. So good luck to him.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
the similarities

their age
both play AFL
From Perth
Aboriginal
Had legal issues
Both on the open market (at different times)
Midfielders
Really good footballers

it’s quite enough to launch a discussion comparing them.
one was drafted as an elite 18yo and has had 10 years in the AFL system, long enough to be booted by 2 clubs, but not long enough to show he has matured enough to stay out of trouble, or learn how to manage his calves (may not be his fault- but injuries and poor preparation often go hand in hand. it wouldnt be much of a stretch to say he has gotten into some sort of trouble most years he has been in the system. and he hasnt played consistent footy at any level for about 5 years.

the other got into some trouble as a teenager, seemingly learnt his lesson, got his life in order and got to the stage where he played good football in the WAFL for a number of years before being drafted.

Reactions: 8 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Good old Melbourne. They’ve probably made some of the worst draft debacles in recent times. Jack Watts at #1, then using #1 & #2 on Scully and Trengove. They escape the same sort of criticism we got for selecting Tambling ahead of Buddy, yet they had 2 chances to draft Dusty and didn’t take either of them.
How about hogan. Most overrated player in the comp.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
melbourne
Melbourne is not the club to get the best out of Harley for mine they do not have the culture or the leadership to do it.

They dont even have the stones to go on a pre season camp.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
The Dees would be a great place to bludge while earning decent coin. I would’ve leaned towards joining them too.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hurt his calf again according to the HUN
Geez. The bloke was barely doing any training yet, still doing rehab n strengthening after the last lot of whizz bang surgery that supposedly fixed his problems. If he's done some damage again under minimal loads then he'd have to be cooked.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Champion
Feb 9, 2015
Geez. The bloke was barely doing any training yet, still doing rehab n strengthening after the last lot of whizz bang surgery that supposedly fixed his problems. If he's done some damage again under minimal loads then he'd have to be cooked.
But they say it's only minor o_O

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I wonder if anyone has done a study on the frequency of soft tissue injuries to players known to have violated the drug code previously.

Reactions: 1 users