• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Harley Bennell

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015
Actually, I found myself feeling a bit sorry for Bennell, then I thought of the opportunity he was given in the beginning and without knowing anything about what he allegedly did or didn't do at both the GC and freo.....
Maybe he just didn't do what's required of a professional sportsman right from the start.
Possibly @The Big Richo has a better idea on this type of injury?

He's like the latest poster boy to draftees on what can happen if you don't at least give yourself the best chance to succeed!

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Actually, I found myself feeling a bit sorry for Bennell, then I thought of the opportunity he was given in the beginning and without knowing anything about what he allegedly did or didn't do at both the GC and freo.....
Maybe he just didn't do what's required of a professional sportsman right from the start.
Possibly @The Big Richo has a better idea on this type of injury?
He's like the latest poster boy to draftees on what can happen if you don't at least give yourself the best chance to succeed!
I only know what I've read in the media but there are a few aspects of his injuries that possibly support what you are saying.

Assuming he has straight calf issues and not achilles related, it is quite an unusual injury for a young player to have. The 'old man's' injury stuff isn't exactly true but it is certainly much less prevalent in younger athletes who prepare properly.

He may just be physiologically unlucky, but certainly your first port of call would be to question his diligence with strength and conditioning.

The frequent reoccurrence is also quite unusual and again your first port of call would generally be to question the rehab process.

When you sustain a muscle tear it is crucial to minimise the formation of scar tissue. Scar tissue basically joins the muscle back together but it is a very tough and inflexible material, so if you don't minimise it you create a weak spot right where your body already has a vulnerable point. Unless you completely change your running and walking patterns, too much scar tissue is a time bomb waiting to go off.

The only way to minimise is to be thorough in recovery, especially in the critical first few days where the discipline to RICE is crucial, but also throughout the recovery phase and beyond.

Given Bennell's surgery seems to have involved a scar tissue reduction, I would certainly be questioning how well he has recovered, and speaking generally, the indigenous boys tend not to have much love for recovery and anything that involves ice, cold or not touching a footy!

Having said all of that, he easily could have done everything right and just be really unlucky but I would say the balance of probabilities is weighted against that.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I wonder if anyone has done a study on the frequency of soft tissue injuries to players known to have violated the drug code previously.
Haaarrrrggh. There's only half a dozen or so players been pinged for violating the drug code so way to small a sample to come to any conclusions. Unless of course you include Essendrugs none taking of any illegal drugs, n we all know how many injury issues blew their players up during the second half of that year.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Simon Goodwin saying that Bennell playing “by middle of the year would be a good case scenario for us”

Doomed to failure.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
melbourne
A belting from the Coasters in Perth in round 1 could put the skids under em.

The are not a united group and are fragile.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
They are holding him back till after the bye..............................................
Didn't we do similar with the Fish last year. Picked him up on the cheap while injured n tucked him away till a late handful of VFL games set him up to mind **** everyone in the Grannie.
Wonder if this means Smelbourne are going to win the flag this year................................................Phhhhhhhtttt! ******* idiot Maso, not even within the realms of the wildest Smelbourne fantasy.