Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career?

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Certainly not bagging Hardwick....to be honest, given the players he has to choose from, I don't know whether he can coach or not. but I was all for his appointment and will certainly give him time to show what he can do....

But, given his first 6 games as coach have resulted in a percentage of under 50%, I wonder if any coach has had such a poor start to their career?

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
We're still bottoming out. No one could hold back this free fall right now IMO.

I'll judge him more harshly by the end of next season. Not now.

This wasnt meant to judge him tooheys, just stating facts....6 floggings in as many weeks....he has had as tough an initiation to coaching as anyone I can remember.

I hope this doesn't knock his confidence in his abilities around at all.

whatabout

Tiger Rookie
Nov 1, 2008
Mt Gambier
just watched hardwicks press conference, and for a guy who has just coached his sixth successive loss , he sure was upbeat about the loss.
yes sure, he said all the things that should be said, but he didnt seem to unhappy he wasnt angry, or anything like that , he showed no emotion, and i thought that was strange!!!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Punxsutawney Phil said:
This wasnt meant to judge him tooheys, just stating facts....6 floggings in as many weeks....he has had as tough an initiation to coaching as anyone I can remember.

Don't expect it will. FMPOV he's sheltered from criticism this year and next.

This was ALWAYS going to be an extremely tough year & I expected us to cop some absolute floggings yet was howled down for my negativity in the pre season.

Not you Punx but it seems that there are plenty of disappointed folks who thought Dimma would just come in and wave the magic brush and it would all be better.
Well *smile* that. There are no Messiahs. This road to recovery is hard and painful and if he didn't know already, Dimma is right now discovering just how hard it will be.

I honestly believe this year will be the worst yet, we just don't have the quality in the list and are still bottoming out.
No way know I saw us competitive this year against the likes of the Cats with 14 fresh faces in the side. Raw kids cannot be expected to win games of football against quality, seasoned opposition.
You want somewhat competitive? Hang on to Bowden, Brown, Johnson & co. for another year and prolong what was inevitable. :spin
The broom will no doubt again be put through the place again come year's end as it should be. A couple of vets & a lot of garbage remains.

We are paying BIG for Wallet's mistakes & in no way should that be a reflection on Hardwick.
Thankfully I believe he genuinely has the support of an administration that will not be reactionary, no matter how much sh!t is thrown his way for the next couple of seasons.

However if we are still in this position in 2012 then I genuinely fear for our club because some supporters will start hauling out the manure trucks again, if not well before. :p

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
Punxsutawney Phil said:

If you watch him in the media, he seems perfectly comfortable at we were are at right now because I think he already knew we were in for a season this bad!

funky

Tiger Superstar
Nov 27, 2009
god i feel sorry for dimma, left with a shocking list thanks to the solarium spindoctor. give him time he deserves time unlike spud and wallet , they atleast had a list to work with until they butchered the draft picks,this poor guy has the bottom of the barrel.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
yep Hardwick is still sifting through the *smile* to find who will suit the game he is trying to instill in the team. He will weed them out and send them packing at seasons end. Until then i'm enjoying the development and frowning at the McMahon's

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Tigers of Old said:
Don't expect it will. FMPOV he's sheltered from criticism this year and next.

This was ALWAYS going to be an extremely tough year & I expected us to cop some absolute floggings yet was howled down for my negativity in the pre season.

Not you Punx but it seems that there are plenty of disappointed folks who thought Dimma would just come in and wave the magic brush and it would all be better.
Well *smile* that. There are no Messiahs. This road to recovery is hard and painful and if he didn't know already, Dimma is right now discovering just how hard it will be.

I honestly believe this year will be the worst yet, we just don't have the quality in the list and are still bottoming out.
No way know I saw us competitive this year against the likes of the Cats with 14 fresh faces in the side. Raw kids cannot be expected to win games of football against quality, seasoned opposition.
You want somewhat competitive? Hang on to Bowden, Brown, Johnson & co. for another year and prolong what was inevitable. :spin
The broom will no doubt again be put through the place again come year's end as it should be. A couple of vets & a lot of garbage remains.

We are paying BIG for Wallet's mistakes & in no way should that be a reflection on Hardwick.
Thankfully I believe he genuinely has the support of an administration that will not be reactionary, no matter how much sh!t is thrown his way for the next couple of seasons.

However if we are still in this position in 2012 then I genuinely fear for our club because some supporters will start hauling out the manure trucks again, if not well before. :p

Good post TOO .... on the money.

Hurts like hell when you really think about that last line though doesn't it !!!!!

...but your right, its a very real possibilty and one some of the "Do-gooders" here will never agree is ever gonna happen.

Time they took off the homer glasses and smell the roses or they wont have anything to even barrack for in the near future.

ZeroGame

Tiger Champion
Jun 19, 2006
Elwood
Thanks to Tuckerbag on OER

Dean Bailey's start to his senior coaching at Melbourne

Rd 1 Lost 104 Hawthorn
Rd 2 Lost 95 Bulldogs
Rd 3 Lost 30 Geelong
Rd 4 Lost 49 North Melbourne
Rd 5 Lost 43 Carlton
Rd 6 Lost 52 Brisbane

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Certainly not bagging Hardwick....to be honest, given the players he has to choose from, I don't know whether he can coach or not. but I was all for his appointment and will certainly give him time to show what he can do....

But, given his first 6 games as coach have resulted in a percentage of under 50%, I wonder if any coach has had such a poor start to their career?
No coach has ever had to take over a list as bad as ours.

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
funky said:
god i feel sorry for dimma, left with a shocking list thanks to the solarium spindoctor. give him time ,this poor guy has the bottom of the barrel.
No need to feel sorry for him Funkytown.
He knew the challenge of the job and has little pressure on himself for the side to perform this year and maybe next.
The pressure will come in another 2 years when we all expect to see some improvement in the win'loss ratio.
Even the media know we are absolute crappola at the moment and have been easy on us.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
My biggest concern is that Hardwick has given the RFC players a get out jail free card by continually stating to the media that we are rebuilding, there will be pain and massive losses. It has almost come to the point where once the players feels it gets to hard during the game they go into a 'Oh well we are expected to lose and are a rebuilding side' mentality and don't bother.

I believe he should have said we are rebuilding but every single player on the list is playing for the future, no matter what age. Whether it be 1st or 10th year.

You give a team with a weak mentality any sort of excuse and they will use it. Some of the defensive efforts and 1%ers i have seen thus far have been nothing short of disgraceful. It seems they choose when they want to go hard and when they want to cruise along. Unfortunately at the moment it is too much of the latter. Hoping that things are very different behind closed doors but from what i have seen so far it doesn't suggest that. Everytime i watch the RFC this year i could swear i was having deja vu of the Fitzroy side in its last year!!

Ronby

Tiger Cub
Jun 10, 2004
Berwick, Victoria
Considering some of the losses we have suffered in recent years, I have been pleasantly surprised that we have not been getting thumped by a hell of a lot more in some games this year.

Remember the absolute shellacking we got from Geelong a couple of seasons back?

All things considered I think we are not as bad as some might think.

And we have lost a hell of a lot of experienced players from last season through retirement/delisting.

I think Hardwick was well aware of what he was getting himself into - and he is looking forward to future success.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I'm waiting for Wallace to come out and say he is a better coach then Dimma.

ROLLS ROYCE

once a tiger, always a tiger
Oct 6, 2007
mackay, qld
Gee, i am not a patient man but the Dimma love here is starting to wear thin. Do we have the time to devote two years of love to these pathetic efforts from an AFL list in the guise of a rebuilding mode.

Talk young kids talk, dons, roos, dees, eagles, none are as bad as us.

At the moment we r truly pathetic.

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
If I was coach of Richmond for the next 3 years or any bottom of the ladder team the last thing l would want in my first season is 7, 8, 9 or 10 wins.
l would manipulate my team selections week by week ,by way of harsh disciplinary action or "resting" key players to ensure that l got the most out of the drafts to give me the most wins l could get in my 3rd year.

ROLLS ROYCE

once a tiger, always a tiger
Oct 6, 2007
mackay, qld
rinso17 said:
If I was coach of Richmond for the next 3 years or any bottom of the ladder team the last thing l would want in my first season is 7, 8, 9 or 10 wins.
l would manipulate my team selections week by week ,by way of harsh disciplinary action or "resting" key players to ensure that l got the most out of the drafts to give me the most wins l could get in my 3rd year.
I would think as a professional sportsman u would want to win at all costs.

On your theory Brad Scott is an absolute goose for being 3-3 after six games. ??? ???