Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
scooty said:
Thats not my point my point is you need to breed succsess early to keep your young players hungry and motivated

Oh thats fine then. Easy. Sorry for the sarcasm, but thats what we are trying to do here. There's no guarantees of course, but I'm happy with how DH is going about it.

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
scooty said:
Im not saying u have to verbaly say there losers but if u consistantly produce useless footy no matter how gud ur young boys are it grinds them down and they grow the same mentality

But you said it only takes 2 games - that is the point I have zoned in on.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
scooty said:
Thats not my point my point is you need to breed succsess early to keep your young players hungry and motivated

that is two different things again Scooty

you are assuming all motivation comes just from getting wins on the board. it doesn't. read the interview with Kelly on the AFL site http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93494/default.aspx

as he says in it, the failures early on provided them with a lot of the motivation to improve and get better, and as he says, you just have to hang in there and focus on doing the things that will improve your game

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
scooty said:
Thats the point there should not be individual aims should only be one one only premiship and if anyone wants to win a brownlow or a coleman over a flag needs to go
So that means we should delist every single player at the end of the season because they did not accomplish their goal of winning a premiership. We aim to win a premiership scooty, but losing games of football with players that have the potential to win a grand final one day brings us closer to that goal if they are developing properly and accomplishing what is expected of them and themselves.

We are not in a position to be successful, but once we are that is when we have a chance of establishing a winning culture. It would be pretty patronising, demoralising and deceitful (although no-one would be fooled) to convince our players we have a winning culture. It is one of the biggest problems with junior football, winning a game is more important than development to many. This is a deleterious philosophy in my opinion; development is far more important than winning to juniors. As a club we are starting from scratch, and we have to apply this philosophy to our football for the next few years, until we are strong enough to mold a culture that will win us premierships.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
We're still bottoming out. No one could hold back this free fall right now IMO.

I'll judge him more harshly by the end of next season. Not now.

Even the end of next season is too soon. Hardwick needs a lot of time to get this team going again! This is the first time in many many years that the club is being governed professionally, believe me it is going to take a long time to be successful again.

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
Mate anyone on this site could win a game coaching the tigers anyone except me of course but there are some smart footy brains on here and any of u could do a better job

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
scooty said:
Mate anyone on this site could win a game coaching the tigers anyone except me of course but there are some smart footy brains on here and any of u could do a better job

this is quite dramatic, but not very factual

our side has major deficiencies and weaknesses, most of which only practice and recruiting will repair

the idea that ANY person can swoop in and make this side win games is massively over-estimating the quality of our list

granted I had us winning about 6 for the year, but I can see what is trying to be done, and I am seeing much more future in Hardwick's losses than any of the cheap wins Wallace scrambled to get last year

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
So u dont belive you can win a flag with our club well maybe thats the problem we are focusing on the weak areas of someones game rather then there positives

bart cummings never enters a race without the horse beliving its unstopable

darren mcdonald australias leading greyhound trainer once said its ok to have
100 percent ability but unless your dog belives 100 percent its unbeatable then it will never win

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
scooty said:
So u dont belive you can win a flag with our club well maybe thats the problem we are focusing on the weak areas of someones game rather then there positives

100 percent ability but unless your dog belives 100 percent its unbeatable then it will never win

no, I don't believe anyone could win a flag THIS YEAR with THIS LIST - it is a very big qualifier

I know you loathe Hardwick and are still bitter about Scott, but do you honestly think we would be winning games with this list if Scott/Wallace/Rawlings/etc were in charge?

this is the year we had to have, and we are deluded if we think its all due to the coach

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
I belive you could win games at richmond cuse u could i belive gary buckanarra could

what drives me nuts is the use of words like bloody good players on the oppistion wrong approch my friend whats the use in giving your oppent more belif the good clubs evan when down use words like elite excellence within there club

i bet the results would be different if they said something like good oppents but uno what were better then them if ur coach dnt expect to win well u lose i hate the loser mentality

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
scooty said:

Try arguing against THAT logic :hihi

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
U cant its fact i mean even with my own dogs they may be the slowest in australia but anyone will tell u ever since ive applid this to my training geting them fit then spend hours on the brain my dogs have competed and bet the best running slow times

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
Point taken wayne lol my point is u can not just say its the players look at hawthorn win a flag go backwards y same team bar a couple oh thats rite maybe just maybe the coach

glorydaysareback

Nice to have our glory days back at the Tigers!
Apr 18, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria
Scooty,

Maybe we could get darren mcdonald's greyhound pyschologist/motivator to come down and address the entire RFC playing list and coaching staff about their mental approach and Wham Bam and away we will go on our winning way.

Why hasn't anybody thought of this before????

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
scooty said:
U cant its fact i mean even with my own dogs they may be the slowest in australia but anyone will tell u ever since ive applid this to my training geting them fit then spend hours on the brain my dogs have competed and bet the best running slow times

ah, you got them fit first and THEN spent hours on the brain

also you are still running under the understanding that the players are downcast and believing this is a wasted year. Talk to them when you get a chance, you will be suprised by their attitude (and this is being instilled into them by the coaching group)

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
I have spoke to some and they use the word try to stay upbeat well try is an weak cop out should bd we are upbeat we will get there not we may or we will try

if we allow simple meaningless words come in our young guys over two to 3 years will quit

i had lunch with a fellow who is president of a local club dwn here and he said most of there young developing players have left and they cant recruit any why they havnt one a game for 12 months and he said if the culture does not change there will be nothing left to change

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
scooty said:
I have spoke to some and they use the word try to stay upbeat well try is an weak cop out should bd we are upbeat we will get there not we may or we will try

if we allow simple meaningless words come in our young guys over two to 3 years will quit

i had lunch with a fellow who is president of a local club dwn here and he said most of there young developing players have left and they cant recruit any why they havnt one a game for 12 months and he said if the culture does not change there will be nothing left to change

doesn't ring with our club though.

despite being aggressively chased, both Deleidio and Cotchin have only just recently re-signed with the club

club is at its lowest point, big dollar offers from GC17, yet they stay?

maybe because they are seeing the changes at the club and are believing it will take us somewhere

talk to Trent one day and ask him why he stayed with the club. I've followed the club a lot longer than him, but I was amazed with the belief and conviction he has in the direction we are taking

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
will do talk to trent and i will ask him and hope he says its becuse i want a flag thats all

and i hope he says dimma belives he will deliver a flag

the reason i didnt like spud was he use to say were cherry ripe to have a go well thats negetive should red hot for a win wether u do or not is irrelevent as long as u belive u can win