Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career?

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
scooty said:
I have spoke to some and they use the word try to stay upbeat well try is an weak cop out should bd we are upbeat we will get there not we may or we will try

if we allow simple meaningless words come in our young guys over two to 3 years will quit

i had lunch with a fellow who is president of a local club dwn here and he said most of there young developing players have left and they cant recruit any why they havnt one a game for 12 months and he said if the culture does not change there will be nothing left to change

Given Richmond have cleaned out their list and coaching staff what do you see as the underlying fundamental problem that still needs to eradicated to address the culture - where is this harbored today?

There is nothing wrong with being upbeat if there is changes in play to be upbeat about - there is at Richmond. It is major change and another long journey.

scooty

Tiger Superstar
Sep 4, 2007
morwell
I get the long journey statement

look at gellong not every player drafted there is gud but when they play they do ok y becuse of the mental application and the winners mentality has infested the club

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
scooty said:
I get the long journey statement

look at gellong not every player drafted there is gud but when they play they do ok y becuse of the mental application and the winners mentality has infested the club

and as Kelly said, it takes time and effort to make it work

the power of positive thinking only gets you so far, you do have to do the hard yards too

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I think Beavis is doing the right thing. Ignoring any desire to but in a team that could manufacture a win but instead pick the team based on what he needs in Season 2012 years time when we *have* to make the finals to achieve Benny's vision.

As long as internally each player has a set of personal goals he needs to achieve, and they are being marked on those and not the scoreline, then I doubt these kids will be developing any sort of losers attitude.

I'd much rather be in the RFC position right now than Essendons where the lack of complete rebuild coupled with the expectation of making the finals this year will cause our bummers friends some serious grief over the next 24months. I'm also not convinced Brad Scott went down the right path either.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Baloo said:
I think Beavis is doing the right thing. Ignoring any desire to but in a team that could manufacture a win but instead pick the team based on what he needs in Season 2012 years time when we *have* to make the finals to achieve Benny's vision.

As long as internally each player has a set of personal goals he needs to achieve, and they are being marked on those and not the scoreline, then I doubt these kids will be developing any sort of losers attitude.

I'd much rather be in the RFC position right now than Essendons where the lack of complete rebuild coupled with the expectation of making the finals this year will cause our bummers friends some serious grief over the next 24months. I'm also not convinced Brad Scott went down the right path either.

Baloo, I'm happy to give Hardwick till about half way through the season to find out whether Jacko, Rance, Hislop, Thompson, Mcguane Tuck can play under his system. I am wary of the Wallace inertia which allowed Chaffey to play two extra seasons and Tivendale and Hyde to play 4.

I dont know what we got out of yesterday at all. Our young gun mids were out so no one for Cuz to guide as such. Simmonds, Rance, Jacko, Tuck, Mcguane dont appear to be our future. Young Dea got another game but it wouldn't have helped him much. Astbury, Nason and Collins got another game. Jack improves.

If we are serious we will need to introduce Post, Browne Gourdis and maybe Griffiths at half way and give them an extended run.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
scooty said:
Hes point was ian if u tell a kid hes a loser hel become one and if u tell a kid hes a winner he may not get there but he will try

he said u need to recruit players from a winning culture even at under 18s take the premiship player over the talented kid from the wodden spooners

a game of footy is not won on ability but on who has the biggest brain

The why dont we go after Ebert from the power? Maybe he has some relatives with similar qualities?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd give him till the end of the year to see who he culls.

No point rushing kids into the seniors if they have things the coaches want them to work on in the 2nds. Give them attainable targets to reach then bring them up for a spell. See how they hold up them back down to work on the next piece of the puzzle.

If you're right, then the likes of Jacko, Rance, Hislop, Thompson, Mcguane and Tuck stay in the team throughout the season as placeholders for the kids coming through. They are on our list, they are battle hardened, might as well use them.

Anyway, I'm not coach or development person so it's just a laymans view for now. But I see the merit in getting the kids to work on their game in the 2nds with tastes of the senior level so they can see where they are at on the big stage.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Baloo, If you are a senior member of teh team you should either (a) be part of the future; or (b) contribute ot the development of our young players.

If not you shouldn't be playing. On that criteria it is hard to justify Tuck, Simmonds, Mcguane and Jackson taking up spots in the firsts.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Well, I disagree about Jackson & McGuane, but we can save that for the other threads where these guys are pilloried.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Big Cat Lover said:
The why dont we go after Ebert from the power? Maybe he has some relatives with similar qualities?
Wouldn't that be biggest head :headscratch

For what it's worth, Ben Allan lost his first nine or so in charge of Fremantle in 2001.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
scooty said:
darren mcdonald australias leading greyhound trainer once said its ok to have
100 percent ability but unless your dog belives 100 percent its unbeatable then it will never win

So if your dog that believes 100% it's unbeatable loses, does its brain explode?

ROLLS ROYCE

once a tiger, always a tiger
Oct 6, 2007
mackay, qld
Ready said:
Wouldn't that be biggest head :headscratch

For what it's worth, Ben Allan lost his first nine or so in charge of Fremantle in 2001.
And he won how many flags in the next 9 years???? wot was the point of this post.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
lamb22 said:
Baloo, If you are a senior member of teh team you should either (a) be part of the future; or (b) contribute ot the development of our young players.

If not you shouldn't be playing. On that criteria it is hard to justify Tuck, Simmonds, Mcguane and Jackson taking up spots in the firsts.

i disagree to a degree with this. the senior players you mention or others in the gun should play when young players shouldnt. ie simmonds should play until browne or graham should play, not browne or graham should play because simmonds shouldnt.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Hardwick will try and play everyone on the list over the course of this season, just to see what he's really got to work with. The club won't win a game this season, I can't believe other people's reaction when I tell them this, they just don't believe it. The best we can hope for is a win or 2 next season. It's a long painful process, but it's better than the continual groundhog day of 9th placed finishes the side has been experiencing for most of the last decade. Hardwick is trying to put in place something that will lead to a prolonged period of success, not just one appearance in the 8 and then a 12th finish the following year. It may not even be Hardwick that coaches the team to a Premiership it could be the coach that comes after him or the one after that, but they will have Hardwick to thank for their success for having the guts to do what needed to be done.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
SpaceAce said:
Even the end of next season is too soon. Hardwick needs a lot of time to get this team going again! This is the first time in many many years that the club is being governed professionally, believe me it is going to take a long time to be successful again.

Not looking for finals or premierships by the end of 2011 but I don't think it's too soon to judge whether or not he's got us on the right track.
Don't know how anyone could say either way with absolute certainty right now.

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
Tigers of Old said:
Not looking for finals or premierships by the end of 2011 but I don't think it's too soon to judge whether or not he's got us on the right track.
Don't know how anyone could say either way with absolute certainty right now.

Exactly - that is a known unknown

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
SOme very good points been brought up here on the power of positive thinking and self belief. Been a good read.

You got to feel for the players and coach. The amount of negative stories in the papers / internet certainly doesn't help. The players may say it doesn't bother them but I'm sure deep down hearing/ reading the constant negative comments it would affect them.

Can't think of the tv show, but i remeber when Benny Gale was on and at the end of the interview they asked if he thought Richmond could beat Carltoon in the first round. Benny said "certainly"
Reply back was "Really? you really think you can?"

That's the sort of negative attitude the whole club has to deal with each day. That has to be very taxing on the mentality of the players.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
ROLLS ROYCE said:
And he won how many flags in the next 9 years???? wot was the point of this post.

Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career?

That was the point of this post.

I'm not bothered about Ben Allan one way or the other.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
scooty said:
darren mcdonald australias leading greyhound trainer once said its ok to have
100 percent ability but unless your dog belives 100 percent its unbeatable then it will never win

What ways are there to alter a dog's innate temperament other than giving it a "bite"? Have occasionally heard of trainers who treat their dogs harshly to give them a hard edge. Don't know that either would work on our players.

se7en said:
SOme very good points been brought up here on the power of positive thinking and self belief. Been a good read.

Agree. Carry on.