Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Has Hardwick had the worst start to a coaching career?

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River
Going back to answer the OP's question, i would like to know how people would define the question??

Is it the worst statistically?? Is it the worst by expectation?? Is it just the worst full stop??

I personally believe after going to the game on the weekend that it is just far to early for anyone to make a call. Who really gives a *smile* what the media are saying, the journos that are making the biggest noise have never played AFL, nor any type of decent footy i would imagine.

I liked what i saw on the weekend and before i start getting hammered for making that comment, let me explain.

I don't think Hardwick gives a crap about the results or outcomes of the games at the moment, of course he would love to be 6-0 but the reality is we aren't good enough to be there and he knows it. If he gave a crap and margins, he would've sent loose men back to stop the carnage. Instead he stuck with the game plan all day to see how the boys would hold up against the best team in the land. This season is all about learning and creating some kind of platform to go forward, learning the game plan, learning which players are good enough to go forward, learning what needs to be done to be at the top again. If that means being 0-22 this season, so be it and Hardwick can have the worst start to a coaching career in history.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
ARCHYBOY said:
Going back to answer the OP's question, i would like to know how people would define the question??

Is it the worst statistically?? Is it the worst by expectation?? Is it just the worst full stop??

I personally believe after going to the game on the weekend that it is just far to early for anyone to make a call. Who really gives a sh!t what the media are saying, the journos that are making the biggest noise have never played AFL, nor any type of decent footy i would imagine.

I liked what i saw on the weekend and before i start getting hammered for making that comment, let me explain.

I don't think Hardwick gives a crap about the results or outcomes of the games at the moment, of course he would love to be 6-0 but the reality is we aren't good enough to be there and he knows it. If he gave a crap and margins, he would've sent loose men back to stop the carnage. Instead he stuck with the game plan all day to see how the boys would hold up against the best team in the land. This season is all about learning and creating some kind of platform to go forward, learning the game plan, learning which players are good enough to go forward, learning what needs to be done to be at the top again. If that means being 0-22 this season, so be it and Hardwick can have the worst start to a coaching career in history.
You're on the money Archie

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River
Thanks Willo.......

Wish i had the same support on saturday sitting in the presidents stand in amongst on the hill billies.............. :hihi

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Look on the brightside, we will be legitimate contenders against gold coasters next year. With a little luck we might even win a game (next year)...

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
toothless said:
Look on the brightside, we will be legitimate contenders against gold coasters next year. With a little luck we might even win a game (next year)...

I have a feeling we will beat the Crows & Hawks in the coming weeks. They are winnable games for us.

Also a couple of commentators are supportive of what Hardwick is doing. Last one I remember was Dunstall who gave praise that he was trying to educate the RFC players tough 1on1 game style.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Al Bundy said:
I have a feeling we will beat the Crows & Hawks in the coming weeks. They are winnable games for us.

Also a couple of commentators are supportive of what Hardwick is doing. Last one I remember was Dunstall who gave praise that he was trying to educate the RFC players tough 1on1 game style.
Agree re Hardwick but we're no chance against crows & dawks.maybe WC here.

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
ARCHYBOY said:

I personally believe after going to the game on the weekend that it is just far to early for anyone to make a call. Who really gives a sh!t what the media are saying, the journos that are making the biggest noise have never played AFL, nor any type of decent footy i would imagine.

I agree with Willo who reckons you are on the money. His coaching thus far shows no self protection and Hardwick should be applauded for that

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
ARCHYBOY said:

Agree most definately about the first bit - the most balanced and THOUGHTFUL comments tend to come from the likes of Leigh Matthews - people who know their way arounda footy club at all levels - it ain't an easy thing playing these days.

I partly agree on the big paragraph, but disagree that playing a man loose in defence is devoid of a gameplan. Like you I admired Hardwick's coaching courage to keep trying to play one on one football right throughout the game. There will be lots of footage to look at with no mitigating circumstances - "......it was one on one - so where were you and what were you thinking here (N) ?".

Was a little surprised Hardwick was as unhappy as he said he was about the tackling - we finished with a 9 tackle less differential if I recall - getting as far back as about 20 at one stage. That's still about 15% down on the opposition, but a far cry from where we've been in games past. Not seeing the game, perhaps we were in a position to have a higher tackle count and just let too many slip to be effective - don;t know - maybe someone can share some knowledge on this.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Was interested in looking at a few stats after someone posted that we weren't getting enough ball into the forwards.

We have drawn the centre clearances.
Lost badly on Inside 50's.
Been crunched on marks inside 50.

Round CL I50 M50
1 33/34 45/57 7/16
2 31/28 39/65 4/22
3 33/29 54/54 7/19
4 38/38 46/58 4/18
5 29/37 41/47 9/22
6 36/34 43/63 5/20

Reasonably happy with those figures considering we've been flogged on the scoreboard. I past year we were getting beaten in every stat. At least it's something to work with. ;)

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Phar Ace said:
Weren't we going well in clearances and contesteds last season too?

Dunno Phar Ace but it does seem better this year, given entry of Martin. The late entry of Foley also gives us some hope.

Noteworthy that Martin, Cotchin and Foley have only played the one game together when Foley was still getting match fit.

Plese allow me some positive hope to hang onto in a generally depressing thread and forum. :)

thejinx

Go Tiges!
Dec 17, 2003
Melbourne, VIC
Phar Ace said:
Weren't we going well in clearances and contesteds last season too?

Clearances have never been our problem. We've done well in that area for a number of years.

It's what we do once we have the ball, and when the team has the ball that is our problem.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Phar Ace said:
Was a little surprised Hardwick was as unhappy as he said he was about the tackling - we finished with a 9 tackle less differential if I recall - getting as far back as about 20 at one stage. That's still about 15% down on the opposition, but a far cry from where we've been in games past. Not seeing the game, perhaps we were in a position to have a higher tackle count and just let too many slip to be effective - don;t know - maybe someone can share some knowledge on this.

Well the last line you made is the most pertinent. Tackle counts mean nothing, its the effectiveness of the tackling that's important. You can make tackles and still not be totally committed to the tackle. It may be that Hardwick made special focus on tackling efficiency and he wasn't happy with the result.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
thejinx said:
Clearances have never been our problem. We've done well in that area for a number of years.

It's what we do once we have the ball

Which is exactly why the opposition must love seeing Tuck & Jackson named.
Win the contested possession and inevitably turn it over.
This in turn often sees us scored against because all our players are on the back foot. :p

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
thejinx said:

It's what we do once we have the ball, and when the team has the ball that is our problem.

Actually, I don't think turnovers are the problem either. Every team turns the ball over repeatedly in every game. Our problem is twofold. The opposition burn us on our turnovers and we fiddle around with it on theirs. It what happens when we lose the ball and when we win it back that is the problem.

In the Wallace days, the reason for this was obvious, when we won the ball our defenders committed forward and left nothing at the back. I'm puzzled as to why it is still happening though.

Hardwick won't be going anywhere with this team until he solves this one. The difference on the scorebaord each week is more or less the same as the difference between points scored and conceded on the turnover.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Apologies for the bump but wasn’t sure which Dimma thread to put this.
Got a reminder from the club website that on this day 10 years ago Dimma recorded his first win as coach of the this great club.
We‘ve come a long way :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold

Happy Anniversary Dimma

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Apologies for the bump but wasn’t sure which Dimma thread to put this.
Got a reminder from the club website that on this day 10 years ago Dimma recorded his first win as coach of the this great club.
We‘ve come a long way :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold

Happy Anniversary Dimma
Thanks @Legends of 2017 for digging this one up.... it's actually good to sometimes go back and read stuff that makes you remember how tough things were and how truly great as a club we have become since!

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
cant see him ever being under pressure from the board, because they're all the same page.
March, Gale, Cameron, Hardwick are all our future, These 4 guys are either going to be remembered as the "saviours" or the "undertakers"
I really do have faith with there system, i just hope the players (deledio, Martin, cotchin) hang in there, because we are a great club, and the events of the last 5 years have been shameful...
in the words of i of my favourite coaches lets all "stickfat"

Geez who's this bloke.
Mr Philosopher?
Take away March for Peggy
Take away deledio for Castagna.
He was 100% right. Stick fat :clap1

Reactions: 4 users