Have we improved enough? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Have we improved enough?

A

admin

Now the list is finalised it's time to see if we've improved it enough from last season.

I think our forward line is pretty awesome if the guys can stay injury free.
Hopefully with the midfield guys rotating through the forward line and the added skill the new guys bring, we'll score more goals in general play.
We've been pretty poor in that area.

The midfield should certainly be improved, but might take a bit of time to gel together. A big bonus is that the ball should be delivered into the forward line with more skill than it has been in recent times.

The backline still concerns me.
I don't know who will play at CHB, someone is going to have to fill the spot until Dutchy is able to take over several weeks into the season.
Andy is good, but a bit short.
If we can juggle the chb and fullback positions according to matchups we should improve dramatically on last season.

We look to have a far more complete team than we did in our last finals season.
It's really important to get off to a flier, it's a pity we won't have Dutchy there for a while to help us achieve it.

We had two main areas to address in my opinion.
Firstly the midfield, which I think we've done well.
Secondly the lack of tall backups and an option for chb. I don't think we've done that at all.
It would be great if Vardy could step up.

Overall, I'm happy with our list for this season.
A bit of good luck and we should have a very successful year coming up.

Go Tiges.

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I share your concerns with respect to our backline rosy,its a pity the selectors didn't, for reasons best known to them address what could be of concern if duthchy or gas are out for an extended period.

What is the situation with Ben as i have missed the latest. Is the setback as a result of last seasons knee injury or some new problem?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
If we are to improve in 03' then I think the following players will have to have some significant impact.

Kane Johnson
Richmond finally got their man. Tough, skillfull, ball winner who is exactly what our ailing midfield needs, but can he stay injury free?

Aaron Fiora
Into his fourth year and has not shown enough. Considering we passed over Pavlich to get him this is not looking good for the club and Fiora. He does have talent but needs to get alot more of the ball and hit targets by foot.

Rory Hilton
Has shown in the past he can play, and is the type of player we need firing but even prior to his shoulder injury his form was on the wane. Another one who if he can't get it together might be looking for a new home.

Justin Blumfield
Another versitile midfielder who can help improve our depth. The club needs him to recapture some of his 99-00' form he showed with essendon but after a bout OP during the offseason means he'll probably struggle.

Ray Hall
Talented, but still very raw. His problem is more a coaching one, so Frawley needs to find him a position and leave him there. CHB anyone??

Brad Ottens
Has it all, but needs to be more aggressive and not go missing for periods during a game. With Stafford showing form at FF, Ottens needs to be left in the ruck. But wherever he plays he needs to dominate his position like 500k+ players should do.

A

admin

What is the situation with Ben as i have missed the latest. Is the setback as a result of last seasons knee injury or some new problem?

It's neither really mellowyellow. The official report a week or so ago is that Dutchy is coming along well, and is set to play in round 5 or 6.
I'd presume he'll have to ease into it a bit too, so hopefully he'll be right for a big second half to the season.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I think our forward line is pretty awesome if the guys can stay injury free.Hopefully with the midfield guys rotating through the forward line and the added skill the new guys bring, we'll score more goals in general play.
The midfield should certainly be improved, but might take a bit of time to gel together.  A big bonus is that the ball should be delivered into the forward line with more skill than it has been in recent times.

The backline still concerns me.
I don't know who will play at CHB, someone is going to have to fill the spot until Dutchy is able to take over several weeks into the season.

Ray Hall...CHB anyone??

Agree with both your sentiments, rosy and TF.

On paper we have improved enough provided we don't get hit with long term injuries to any of our talls especially Gas or dutchy down back. As dutchy will be missing for the first 5 rounds at least, we need someone to fill in at CHB.

He may prove me wrong but Vardy looked too slow to play key position. He continually got left behind on the  lead by a forward opponent.

Agree Andy is too short as a permanent option. Mainly got scalps in the past by filling in for at most 1 or 2 weeks.

Razor looked lost down back this year but he was moved around alot so never got an opportunity to settle into one position. If he's bulked up in the gym maybe Danny could say to Razor you'll have 5 weeks at CHB to show what you've got.

If that doesn't work then maybe we need to push Otto back to fill the hole after the ruck contest and either push Razor forward or as a suprise tactic go the way of a smallish but very mobile forward line in the early rounds (say Coburg style) with Richo pushing up past the 50, leaving an open forward line for the small guys to run into. Perhaps even Pagan's paddock style.
A problem with this though is our game plan would then need to alter dramatically mid-season as everyone switches back to the more conventional big man forward set-up when dutchy returned.

On a different note, not only do we need individual improvements as TF suggested, we also have to improve dramatically the team aspects and 1%ers in our game which were no-existent this year, if we are going to move up the ladder. Hopefully renewed confidence in each other and Brittain's tactical nouse on match day will help to restore that part of our game and turn it into one of our strengths.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Our improvement will happen if Rogers, King and Duncan are consigned to that bleak surburban oval in Coburg, never to be seen in a black and yellow guernsey, that all 3 never deserve to wear again!

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Take it easy there big fella :D :D

Rogers will be in his last year as will Duncan (i think). But all three players have something to offer the team but unfortunately they don't offer it enough.

Rogers big hit on Wakelin in Rd 1 is what he should be doing every week - he is built like Adonis and should throw he weight around some more. I think his future role will be running with blokes like Buckley in a totally negative role as he is quick and can run all day.

Dunc - god love the glove - is a battered human being after putting his body thru the ringer each week for the yellow and black and as such deserves a tad more respect than you offer Mr Feral. In times of the "outside runner" see CAT, we can always relay on Duncan to attack every contest like it is his last.

Kingy struggled badly in 2002, but I think he has a place in the team. With the addition of Blumfield and Johnson and improvement of Rodan and Coughlan, Kingy would be a good option to rotate thru the middle, prob off the bench. His ability to get the ball in tight and unload a quick handball is pretty good.

Last year may be a bit of an unfair yardstick as EVERYTHING went wrong. Give them another chance..

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon
Give us your best team for 2003.

And reasons.

My team would be (with everyone fit)

Backs: A Kellaway Gaspar Cameron
Half Backs: Bowden Holland Zantuck
Centres:Johnson Campbell Blumfield
Half Forwards: Hall Richardson Tivendale
Forwards: Rodan Stafford Couglan
Foll: Ottens Hilton Chaffey

Int: D Kellaway, Dragicevic, Fiora, Pettifer

Emerg. Rogers, Houlihan, McGrath

My reasons.

Backs: Gaspar must give a better season this year. Kellaway and Holland can take the other opposition talls.

I would like to see Cameron and Bowden set up the play, same way (and I hate to admit it) as Bucks does by himself at Collingwood.

Ty Zantuck I would have changing with Hilton on the Ball.

Lets be serious for a moment.

If Richmond is ever going to get tough in the midfield, it will be due to the likes of Couglan, Hilton and Zantuck (possible Rodan) actually playing good hard footy.

Centre Line : Campbell Johnson and Blumfield, all similar wide receiving players. May as well give them run of the park, and move around both the back line and the forward line.

I am a great advocate of having onballers swapping positions between backline, forward line and centres. It confuses the opposition and gives everyone a chance to shake tags and get into the game.

I would like to see all of these players changing in the team
Hilton Chaffey Johnson Campbell Blumfield Rodan Zantuck Couglan Tivendale and Bowden

Yes that is TEN players rotating positions, but it would be a damn sight better than 2002.

Forwards : Richo can run wherever he wants, but I think Ray Hall will be a very good addition if played in the forward line.

He can keep the forward line open, take a mark, and throw his weight around. Watch this space.

Full Forward : Staff can take most of the Full Forward duties and change with Ottens towards the end of the quarters. Couglan and Rodan must be played in the seniors. No use trying to develop them in the Magoos, as they have been blooded in 2002.

Followers : Ottens must become the Ruck, and Hilton must rove him. Again I see if Richmond has any chance of making the finals in 2003, then these 2 must fire.

Chaffey makes the side just over Dragicevic.

Options on the bench. D Kellaway, yes agreed he lacks some skills, but I have never actually played against or seen a gutsier player for his size. He would give a tagging option or an alternative back

Dragga and Pettifer must step up 2003.

Fiora, last chance saloon.

Signing out from London,

London Tiger

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Agree with alot of what you said LT.

Here's my side:

B.  Zantuck  Gaspar  AK
HB. Chaffey Holland Campo
C.   Fiora Johnson Tivendale
HF. Hilton Richo Blumfield  
F.    Rogers Stafford Rodan

Foll.  Otto  Bowden Coughlan

I/C. Hall Newman Cameron Dragga

Emerg: Krakouer Duncan King

I reckon our backline has been good so I wouldn't alter much there. Rotate Zantuck, Chaffey, Newman and Campo. Campo now and again up forward as he's a good kick for goal.

With our talls back will go back to our 3 ruckman rotation (stafford and otto at centre bounces and Razor to follow the opposing ruck around the ground). With Dutchy out initially we may need to send Otto or Razor down back and rotate only two.

I put Rogers ahead of dunc (sorry rosy ;D) only on the fact that rogers can play up forward as well as tag. Only room for one tagger. If we play against someone which dunc has historically done well against (Buckley) then I would pick him but only for those games. Horses for courses.

I think Campo's position is sweeper off half-back. He had to play the in-and-under type in the middle as there was no one else. Not anymore.

I personally don't think Joel is suited to the backline. Play Joel at and forward of centre. Rather go for someone like Tivs in the backline if you want a long penetrating kick out of defence.

On Pettifer, I agree with what rosy has said before on him. Needs to earn his spot in the team.

I am a great advocate of having onballers swapping positions between backline, forward line and centres.  It confuses the opposition and gives everyone a chance to shake tags and get into the game.  

I would like to see all of these players changing in the team
Hilton Chaffey Johnson Campbell Blumfield Rodan Zantuck Couglan Tivendale and Bowden

Yes that is TEN players rotating positions, but it would be a damn sight better than 2002.

Agree there rotating these guys LT.
Still reckon Zantuck and Rory still need to show they belong in the middle.

Go Tiges! ;D

A

admin

On Pettifer, I agree with what rosy has said before on him. Needs to earn his spot in the team

Whether I agree or not, I can usually see things from other people's viewpoint as well, but I can't when it comes to Kayne so far.
I can't see how I was the only person in a thread on Roarpower who thought Pettifer would have been better off going back to Coburg for a good hitout last season.
He was averaging 4 posessions a week for several weeks.
I can't see how that is good for a player, either physically or mentally.
There is no way I think he deserved a spot in the team.
People argued lack of ground time for his poor form, but whatever the reason he wasn't going to improve sitting on the bench all the time.
He was very timid when he had chances.
When he did go back to Coburg he hardly had a crack at all, in fact was benched for a lot of the time.
His London game was laughable.
This sounds like a payout, but it's not. I really hope Kayne comes good.
I am just astounded people still pick him in their top 22.
I'd like to see him rewarded in the seniors by having some outstanding games at Coburg, and knowing he'll be straight back there if he doesn't put in a big effort .
Reputation isn't worth a pinch of *&^% if you don't live up to it, and ability and skills are nothing if you don't use them.
It's time for Kayne to lift his act. He's been around long enough now to start producing if he's ever going to.

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Love these ;D

B: Zantuck Gaspar Chaffey
HB: Campbell Holland A. Kellaway
C: Tivendale Johnson Bowden
HF: Blumfield Richo Fiora
F: Krakouer Stafford Hall
Foll: Ottens Coughlan Rodan

Int: Newman Nicholls Cameron Hilton

Emg: Houlihan Pettifer McGrath

I think the crux of the team will much the same as last year but a few changes I would like to see;

Campbell to a HBF having short bursts on the ball. I think he helps settle the backline down which is our weakest area. And you just know he will get truckloads of it and deliver it well to our runners upfield.

In the absense of Holland in the early stages, Ray Hall is the best option for the backline. He is tall, getting stronger and can run off dopey forwards with his gazelle like speed. He stuggled a bit in the back line in 2002 but was forced down there when we were in all sorts, so it was always going to be difficult. Our weak backline can be helped out by somebody playing the role similiar to Jason Cloke - run off your man, fly into every contest and spoil the ball for the runners to clean up. But who does this??? A Kellaway, Vardy...

Our midfield to forward line appears to have quite a few riches with a solid mix of talls, midsize runners and small crumbers.

One strength I see is Tivendale, Fiora, Bowden, Johnson etc..They can't be all tagged, so if one is being tagged rotate thru a pocket and bring somebody else in. I have a feeling we will see great things from Tiva and especially Fiora.

We all know what Richo, Staff and Otto can do up forward, but the obvious key is getting some crumbers to capitilise on the big fella's hard work. Andy Krakouer has the best opportunity to sneak goals all over the place, and Billy Nicholls will also help. He can play but has battled with injuries. A bit like Maurice Rioli in that he isn't overly quick but can turn on a 5 cent piece and doesn't go to ground easily. Rodan will fill a major role floating down from the middle.

The midfield is now looking reasonably strong. Otto, Coughlan and Rodan should be the main setup and rotate guys like Bowden, Blumfield, Campbell thru. Chris Newman should be given a go in the middle. In his TAC days he was a very good midfielder so why not begin his apprenticeship now..

There were a few blokes I didn't mention - D Kellaway, Rogers, King. Will all play quite a few games.

You know we are going bad when Biddiscombe and Mills get a run. Don't want to be nasty to our own, but neither guy can play footy AT ALL. The only reason they are both still there is that some clown gave them a contract for 2003.

Apologies to Tim Fleming - haven't seen you play yet so will reserve judgement.

Merry Xmas all
Go Tiges

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
If Pettifer put as much effort into getting the footy as he did his crying after Knights last game he would be a star.

Larke Medallists haven't served us well over the years.

A

admin

If Pettifer put as much effort into getting the footy as he did his crying after Knights last game he would be a star.
Haha if that is the case, I think I'd be Brownlow material. ;D

A

admin

There were a few blokes I didn't mention - D Kellaway, Rogers, King.  Will all play quite a few games.
Taking it one week at a time, I'd expect a tagger to play on Buckley in round 1. If he's fit I would think Dunc will get the nod.
The time to find out is getting closer all the time.
Go Tiges!

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
might as well get on the act:

B:zantuck,*smile*,A.kellaway.
HB:cameron,holland,chaffey.
C:campbell,johnson,fiora.
HF:blumfield,richarson,bowden
F:rodan,stafford,krakour.
R:eek:ttens,hilton,coughlan.
i/c:newman,hall,D.kellaway,tivendale.
emerg:houlihan,rogers,king.

the backline pretty much selects itself.with the improvement of zantuck and the fact that holland will be back means AK will get the 3rd fwd will help no end.

the centreline looks most impressive with cambo sweeping across half back and either bowden or blumfield pushing up towards the centre.

in the fwd line i believe its time to give young krakour some serious game time.he is the only one on our list who you could say is a fwd crumber.leave him on the ground for the full game under the feet of richo,otto,etc.we have seen his magic and what hes is capable of.

our onballers no use having any round the pack type players in the middle therfore hilton should get the nod in a rotation with rodan and coughlan.

on the bench i,ve gone for duncan ahead of rogers for 2 reasons.duncan can be used in a tagging role as well as a postion down back on a tall or a small. where as rogers i am not convinced of him being a tagger and we have a few options up fwd as well.
hall is there basically as backup for what may arise during the game from the centre line fwd.while tivendale holds onto his spot cause he can make an impact in short bursts.

A

admin

Team to flog the Pies round 1. ;D

Backs- Chaffey Gaspar Zantuck
Half backs- Campbell A Kellaway Cameron
Centre- Tivendale Johnson Fiora
Half Forward-Blumfield Richo Bowden
Forward- Houlihan Stafford Hilton
Foll- Ottens Coughlan Rodan
Interchange- D Kellaway, Hall, Newman, Dragicevic

Reasons....
I like that backline. Tough and hungry. If Dutchy is getting a hard time from leading forwards like Loyd, have someone ready to block the space in front of them to help out.

CHB is a worry till Dutchy comes back, but Andy doesn't give anything away (except height, ha). I like the wise heads of Campbo and Leon on the half back line, as well as a bit of skill and pace.

Centre should be very flexible and unpredictable this year, as well as more skilful. Massive assets for improvement from last season.

I like Richo at chf, with licence to run. If he's not having a good day, get him out of there instead of letting him get frustrated.

Stafford will be a tower of strength at ff. A few opposition backmen will wonder what's hit them for a change. I wouldn't mind Zantuck in there for a while too if our smaller forwards are being given a rough time.
That's also the reason I like to see Rory in there too.

The team seems to go better when Otto is in the ruck, whether Otto is racking up posessions himself or not.
It's good to have Razor to team with him, and Staff to relieve him.

I could easily swap Cogs and Johnson as followers.
I put Rodo as rover, cos I'd love to see a real rover int he team again. I hope he's up to it eventually, it would be so exciting.

Whatever combination we come up with, it looks a pretty good list with lots of options.
Here's hoping for an injury free season.
I'm getting excited. GO TIGES!

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
B - A. Kellaway, Zantuck, Newman

HB - Campbell, Gaspar, Houlihan

C - Fiora, Coughlan, Tivendale

HF - Blumfield, Richardson, Bowden

F - Hall, Stafford, Krakouer

Foll - Ottens, Johnson, Rodan

Inter - Dragicevic, Chaffey, Vardy, Hilton

Emer - Pettifer, King, Sipthorp

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell at Half Forward. He always looks dangerous when played there and it address my 2 biggest concerns about him.
1/ he aint gettin' any younger. Half forward will see him off the ball and reduce his necessary work rate. He can be switched onto the ball in short bursts.
2/ I believe few would question his work ethic or skills, but I've always felt he has let himself down at times with his choices at the way he's setup play. This has never been an issue when he's play forward. He tends to a/ kick goals & b/ have a positive influence on those around him.
It will interesting to see what role he primarily plays next year.

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Cambo kicked quite a few "BIG" goals thru 2002, and in 2 cases won games of his own boot by slotting several goals. But with a full complement in the forward line including the additions of Blumfield and Nicholls, I still think Cambo is best suited to a back flank where with his brain and skill he could pick up 30 touches a week and be a general in the backline.

The job he did against Melbourne in Rd 3 in the final quarter is what he could do most weeks (although the 18 touches prob highlighted Armstrongs laziness as much as Cambo's work ethic)

Still can't work out why he gets bagged so much ??? Maybe because he had the long poofy hair and subsequent ponytail back in the 95/96 - but who didn't ;D ;D

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Here's an idea:

Why don't we play Campbell on the ball where he averages 25 disposals and has won 4 b&f's??

just my thoughts  ;D