Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28

E

easy_tiger

heres an interesting fact.

in 2008, Cyril was nominated for the rising star, along with bachar houli, shaun grigg, jack reiwodlt and trent cotchin.

of course Rhys Palmer was judged superior.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Ghost of Punt Road said:
First Vickery, now Cyril.

Really Marks the end of their era.

Vickery and Cyril off their books opens the door for a big raid by Hawthorn, channel 7 threw Shai Bolton into the mix together with Sloan and Lynch.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
tigertim said:
Just realised he’s only played 11 games for 2017/18.

28 is young to retire. I wonder if we really have seen the last of him.....

delisted free agent to the tigers!!

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Ghost of Punt Road said:
First Vickery, now Cyril.

Really Marks the end of their era.

Do think Cyril & Hawkers came to a conclusion his legs just could not stand up to a full season anymore which then opens the window for Hawkers to fit Sloane & Lynch in their salary cap.

Only seen Bruce & Cyril interview on the news & I am sure Bruce was about to shed a tear or two.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There's certainly something about the Riolis, they are amazing footballers.

Cyril was fabulous and will be missed. I figure a lot of it is about family and I also figure it ain't any of our business.

Go well Cyril, hope everything works out and thanks for the memories.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
easy said:
heres an interesting fact.

in 2008, Cyril was nominated for the rising star, along with bachar houli, shaun grigg, jack reiwodlt and trent cotchin.

of course Rhys Palmer was judged superior.

Assume Bachar was with the druggies and grigg the blues back then

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Cyril and Cotch together as juniors:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkzseFthNwy/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tae87vnh0nnr

I forgot they were from the same draft, hopefully Cotch's body stays sounds for a couple more years yet.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Loved watching him play. Any one else remember that Mark he took against us when he levitated from the front of the pack? It was like he had an invisible ladder, took steps in the air like in a cartoon and just kept going up. Can't remember who it was on.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My view on Cyril has always been that in a really good team a player like Cyril is gold. He will do things others can't, break a game open with 10 minutes of magic and be the difference between winning and losing.

Then someone looks at the stats and says he had 14 possessions and kicked 2 goals and think he was average.

You can't have 10 of them in your team but to be great having one is a key element to getting there.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
  • Angry
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
The family club…

"The review document, handed to Hawthorn's senior management two weeks ago and now with the AFL integrity unit, will allege that club staff involved include four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson and former assistant Chris Fagan, now the coach of the Brisbane Lions."

"Clarkson just leaned over me and demanded that I needed to get rid of my unborn child and my partner. I was then manipulated and convinced to remove my SIM card from my phone, so there was no further contact between my family and me. They told me I’d be living with one of the other coaches from that night onwards.

He felt he had no choice. "He told me to kill my unborn kid."

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
A close family member of mine worked at Hawthorn for a couple of years about a decade ago.

She was a member of the off-field staff. A mid-level administrator. Worked at Waverley Park in an open-plan office. On occasion, the coaches would walk through this space.

By her account, it was an awful place to work because the senior coach would give a massive public bake to any member of staff who might be laughing or engaged in a non-football conversation whenever he was in this area. His standard line was every person had a role in winning premierships and, if they weren't 100% committed, they could '*smile* off'.

It contributed to terrible morale. My family member described Clarkson, at the time, to be 'out of control' and incredibly aggressive. Even the people she reported to were intimidated by him.

It's always seemed to me that Hawthorn has an unusually high turnover of people—particularly coaches but also administrators.

I don't know what it's like now, but it was certainly an incredibly intense place to be back then.
Horrifying news today, but not entirely surprising.

I imagine there are a lot of 'good' people today wondering why they didn't do more at the time.

Now this has come to light, I cannot see Clarkson coaching another game of football.

Will it also spell the end of Fagan's involvement in footy?

Reactions: 3 users

Third Ring

Richmond is...
Oct 3, 2003
“We’re a happy team at Hawthorn…”

(only know the song because my junior team had their song and Carlton like jumpers….spew)

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
These are allegations. Not proven in a Court of Law.
Sure, but we're talking about a dozen or more people making these allegations, it's damning. It will no doubt get further investigation and we'll also see what the independent review turns up.

Reactions: 1 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Jeffrey Gibb Kennett continues to be a character of deep intrigue.

While publicly telling Clarkson his time was up well before Clarkson finally left, was he aware of a festering problem? Surely Kennett would have been across these sorts of issues? If not, why not? Can't wait to hear from him.

Kennett's work with Beyond Blue confounds given the otherwise divisive aspects of his character.

Reactions: 4 users
< 2023 GF | Wot !! >