Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
This if only some of it is accurate is a terrible day for they way we have treated indigenous/ First nation players. For all the progress, unity, inclusiveness we thought we had made to this potential huge backwards step.

Reactions: 8 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Interesting to say the least .
Always 2 sides to every story
The other side will be of interest

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If it was 1995 I'd have more understanding of what has happened but from 2010, there is no excuse.

Horrible. People must be held accountable. Russell Jackson continues a phenomenal run of articles shining the light on murky dark corners of sport.

Reactions: 19 users

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
If it was 1995 I'd have more understanding of what has happened but from 2010, there is no excuse.

Horrible. People must be held accountable. Russell Jackson continues a phenomenal run of articles shining the light on murky dark corners of sport.
Take a deep breath before anyone throws in the racist card. By all means do so if the facts support that the actions were restricted to one race or racially motivated. The reported incidents may be repugnant to current standards but are not rare. Old man Packer said he would sack Ita Buttrose if she became pregnant, and there are dozens of cases where family connections have ruined promising sporting careers. I am not condoning nor excusing but can see this being hijacked by activists with their own click bait agendas. I have more faith in my fellow PRE posters to consider all the facts before exploding.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Take a deep breath before anyone throws in the racist card. By all means do so if the facts support that the actions were restricted to one race or racially motivated. The reported incidents may be repugnant to current standards but are not rare. Old man Packer said he would sack Ita Buttrose if she became pregnant, and there are dozens of cases where family connections have ruined promising sporting careers. I am not condoning nor excusing but can see this being hijacked by activists with their own click bait agendas. I have more faith in my fellow PRE posters to consider all the facts before exploding.

Wait. I didn't throw the racist card. That's your interpretation. I'm calling out the horrendous treatment of players and management of the Hawthorn football club. If this was English, African, European players being treated like this my response would be the same.

Kerry Packer's comments are from the 80's. As I said IF this was 1995, there were different standards but this is the modern era. Clubs knew better. How you think this is being "hijacked by activists" is beyond me. If your first position on this being released is to defend the institution, I can't help or engage with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
The issues facing the Aboriginal Communities will not be resolved by apologies or the AFL. Systemic Child Abuse continues to this day.
I have personally helped Aboriginal people addicted to ICE. the stories of abuse are horrific. How any Human being can grow and thrive in that environment is beyond comprehension. it certainly changed my view on the problems Indigenous youth have.

Clubs shy away from drafting talented Indigenous boys because of mental health issues. Mental health issues resulting from abuse.
This is a big issue that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: 11 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
The family club…

Almost unbelievable… I am shocked but should know better by now

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Waiting on Kennett to come out and say something.
Wonder if they'll handle this any better then the Collingwood saga.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
Insane story. Even if it all checks out, I still can't see the AFL removing Clarkson from North Melbourne after all the hype around it. They'll find a way to sweep it under the rug. Maybe I'm wrong.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Insane story. Even if it all checks out, I still can't see the AFL removing Clarkson from North Melbourne after all the hype around it. They'll find a way to sweep it under the rug. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah, no way Clarko loses the North job.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Some of the allegations directed at Clarko are pretty full on. You’ve got to wonder how widespread this kind of approach was?

Fages has taken leave while this is all ‘investigated’ by the ‘integrity’ unit. It’s a massive story.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Seriously? The accounts are a result of charges of racism that resulted in Rioli retiring. That was in 2018, the charges of racism emerged back in April, todays new is a result of investigations into that. How many deep breaths do you want to take, and for how long?

Hijacked by activists with click bait agendas? Jesus christ.

This post just highlights the problem.

Reactions: 19 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Seriously? The accounts are a result of charges of racism that resulted in Rioli retiring. That was in 2018, the charges of racism emerged back in April, todays new is a result of investigations into that. How many deep breaths do you want to take, and for how long?

Hijacked by activists with click bait agendas? Jesus christ.

This post just highlights the problem.
Lots of deep breaths at Hawthorn it seems...

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep. Large compensation payouts to the victims and then "lets move on".....

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Strange, can't think of of too many white players being separated from their families and partners forced to have abortions. Or in any other line of work either.

Maybe you have some examples I haven't heard about?

Reactions: 9 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
No sweeping on this one.

Too many eyes on the issue. Too big of an issue. International media will want in.

Goes all the way to Federal Parliament and the new government’s timely First Nation policies.

This is a genuine disaster for the AFL, for Hawthorn and for North Melbourne.

Reactions: 4 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
That article was heartbreaking to read.

I’ve worked for and with people like this; people who are so focussed on the pursuit of excellence, or what they perceive to be the ultimate goal that they operate without any empathy or consideration for other people’s circumstances.

I can’t believe this type of thinking was expressed such a short time ago.

Even the AFL don’t have a broom gig enough to sweep this one unde the rug.

Reactions: 4 users
< 2023 GF | Wot !! >