Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The issues facing the Aboriginal Communities will not be resolved by apologies or the AFL. Systemic Child Abuse continues to this day.
I have personally helped Aboriginal people addicted to ICE. the stories of abuse are horrific. How any Human being can grow and thrive in that environment is beyond comprehension. it certainly changed my view on the problems Indigenous youth have.

Clubs shy away from drafting talented Indigenous boys because of mental health issues. Mental health issues resulting from abuse.
This is a big issue that needs to be addressed.

Not being subjected to racism by the AFL, and all prominent Australian institutions, and being and feeling included, will help address the issues. The 2 things are linked, not separate.

Reactions: 5 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
You can see who were First Nation players on Hawthorn lists in this era by Googling it. Couple still playing but at other clubs.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Jackson must be very confident all allegations are true. Clarkson denying it all straight up would suggest this will be a long and difficult process.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Reporting on Footy Classified that independent investigation should be completed within 2 months.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This is a horrendous story, heartbreaking.

Let’s hope our own club looks inwards and talks to our indigenous players about their experiences and what we can improve to help their lives as an AFL player.

I heard someone this evening talk about taking young indigenous boys off their country and dropping them into a big city and expecting them to play. I believe we do better than that but do we do enough? It would be great to keep someone like Shedda around our indigenous players as he was the leader of what they are calling the “brothers” . That support network must be very important to them.

Reactions: 10 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

Let’s hope our own club looks inwards and talks to our indigenous players about their experiences and what we can improve to help their lives as an AFL player.

I heard someone this evening talk about taking young indigenous boys off their country and dropping them into a big city and expecting them to play. I believe we do better than that but do we do enough? It would be great to keep someone like Shedda around our indigenous players as he was the leader of what they are calling the “brothers” . That support network must be very important to them.
We probably underestimate the role Clarke has played since he’s been there.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine

Phil Egan wtrote the report. He is still quite involved in the club and the Korin Gamadji Institute so he would be a great mentor to the indigenous players at the club. My understanding is that he was very close to Maurice when he played for us and so this means there is a great connection between the past and the present at the RFC in relation to indigenous players.

I feel pretty safe in saying that the mighty Tigers are leading the AFL when it comes to this issue.

Reactions: 9 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
There's still the central problem that white Australia still doesn't understand or accommodate the culture/s of First Nations people.

Which is because white people spent decades intentionally obliterating culture. It's such a fundamental disconnect that's still going to take so much work to correct.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
North must be thinking , we’ve done nothing wrong here and we could be the big losers ,

are we cursed ?

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Well yes, pretty self evident I would have thought.
The separation from family & forced abortion claims are staggering. Clarkson is directly quoted as telling the player in question to terminate his partners pregnancy. He has outright denied them. Can't see how this gets resolved to the satisfaction of anyone.

No matter what happens from here Clarksons legacy has been decimated. A players life has been irreparably changed. It's such a sad situation.

• Wow

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
There's still the central problem that white Australia still doesn't understand or accommodate the culture/s of First Nations people.

Which is because white people spent decades intentionally obliterating culture. It's such a fundamental disconnect that's still going to take so much work to correct.
Can you please define what you mean by "white Australia" Does this include Australians with asian heritage, south american, Indian, north african, pacific islander, maori, Chinese, vietnamese? Obviously to you as soon as you become second generation your ability to understand or accommodate indigenous culture evaporates! I think your generalised comments are offensive to Second Nations people.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Can you please define what you mean by "white Australia" Does this include Australians with asian heritage, south american, Indian, north african, pacific islander, maori, Chinese, vietnamese? Obviously to you as soon as you become second generation your ability to understand or accommodate indigenous culture evaporates! I think your generalised comments are offensive to Second Nations people.
Aren’t you a clever boy!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I don't know what your point is.

Given our modern society has been shaped and formed by the 'white Australia policy', those groups are also coming from a long way back when it comes to representation in positions of power and cultural identity.

Everything from our politics to our education is still extremely white. Historically, as a country, we have attempted to erase and dismantle our indigenous cultures through genocide and events like the stolen generation, and also enacted policy specifically to deport and refuse non white cultures.

We have since diversified, but the colonialists of this country have a history of violent homogeneity. It's a long, difficult thing to address and repair, and we are nowhere near there yet. And even when it comes to multiculturalism, we always look outwards.

I grew up learning italian at school. Which was great, and helped connect to some of the migrant cultures in my local area. But I can't say a single word in the woi wurrung language of the area my school was a part of.

Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
What is changing slowly is kids are getting toaught about, and developing an appreciation of, aboriginal culture in schools now. Well at least where my kids go to school anyway.

Next step is to start teaching thye real history of Australia, warts and all.

It's too late for many of us, but my kids and their generation will not be as ignorant as I was.

• Love

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
What is changing slowly is kids are getting toaught about, and developing an appreciation of, aboriginal culture in schools now. Well at least where my kids go to school anyway.

Next step is to start teaching thye real history of Australia, warts and all.

It's too late for many of us, but my kids and their generation will not be as ignorant as I was.

Yep agree we weren't educated nothing about Aboriginals which is still unbelievable and bewildering to this day still not implemented in all schools.

Reactions: 1 users
< 2023 GF | Wot !! >