Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli retires from AFL football at age 28

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Went to Thornbury High in the 60's. House names were Blair, Nichols, Saunders and Onus not all were 'educated nothing' about aboriginals. p.s. if you do not know the significance of these names then you are in need of some self learning. My point is that the current generation is not colonial nor indeed "white."

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Gil on TV stated He The Afl will stand by & support the aggrieved during this difficult process. At this time all we know is an unnamed ex Hawthorn First Nation player has come forth in Hawthorn's investigation alleging he suffered racial abuse while at Hawthorn. Hawthorn had to put these allegations in their Final Report otherwise it would be foolish not to so. Prominent people have been named as the perpertrators yet those people were not given due process to refute such allegations. The AFL will now convene a Board to determine if these allegations are true or porkies. The Board is not a Federal or State Court of Law & I assume that is where this lot will end up.

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Gil on TV stated He The Afl will stand by & support the aggrieved during this difficult process. At this time all we know is an unnamed ex Hawthorn First Nation player has come forth in Hawthorn's investigation alleging he suffered racial abuse while at Hawthorn. Hawthorn had to put these allegations in their Final Report otherwise it would be foolish not to so. Prominent people have been named as the perpertrators yet those people were not given due process to refute such allegations. The AFL will now convene a Board to determine if these allegations are true or porkies. The Board is not a Federal or State Court of Law & I assume that is where this lot will end up.
Do some further reading. You’ll be amazed what you’ll learn…

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Pretty sure there was three first nations players and their partners alleging the abuse, then add it to Cyril n his missus who's initial complaints and anger at Hawforn instigated the initial enquiry. Seems the Hawforn board suddenly found enough drama from the initial enquiry to immediately handball it to the AFLHQ for further investigation and resolution. Someone in the media obviously also found enough to go full throttle and start naming people, perhaps because they were of the opinion that there was to much potential for a broom n carpet job.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
There is such apathy around dealing with these issues and such a lack of understanding on how to deal with them that it is often easier for institutions to do nothing. Which is why I fully support the media being involved in this one.

I have seen the police turn a blind eye to behaviour by white people on remote aboriginal communities that would have a middle class white community rioting if their kids were exposed to such things.

Most aboriginal people are used to being targeted by the police, not heard. I’m glad they’ve spoken up and out.

*when I say police I should have really said institutions that should protect/support them

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Time for all good men to stand up & be counted !! Who is Ian ?.
Ian's a nom de plume. Same as the other two blokes listed in the report as complaining about the way they were treated.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
This is a horrendous story, heartbreaking.

Let’s hope our own club looks inwards and talks to our indigenous players about their experiences and what we can improve to help their lives as an AFL player.

I heard someone this evening talk about taking young indigenous boys off their country and dropping them into a big city and expecting them to play. I believe we do better than that but do we do enough? It would be great to keep someone like Shedda around our indigenous players as he was the leader of what they are calling the “brothers” . That support network must be very important to them.
We have the Koran Gamadji Institute at Punt Rd and have heard passing comments that Jack & Dusty spend more time there than they do in the footy club , their own time.
no doubt players do too and when people say “it’s an education issue” , ours is happening at a gentle pace and in a natural way , and it has to help, those players will absorb stuff when helping with the indigenous programs and bring that new level of awareness but to the football club
and not only the way they handle situations , which is on display for the new guys (Sonsie ,Clarke , Banks etc ) they are able to explain things to that group as well

remember most of these guys walk in the door at 18 years , not a lot of adult life experience

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We have the Koran Gamadji Institute at Punt Rd and have heard passing comments that Jack & Dusty spend more time there than they do in the footy club , their own time.
no doubt players do too and when people say “it’s an education issue” , ours is happening at a gentle pace and in a natural way , and it has to help, those players will absorb stuff when helping with the indigenous programs and bring that new level of awareness but to the football club
and not only the way they handle situations , which is on display for the new guys (Sonsie ,Clarke , Banks etc ) they are able to explain things to that group as well

remember most of these guys walk in the door at 18 years , not a lot of adult life experience
I am not concerned so much about now, it is more the past

For example what happened during Troy Taylor's troubled time at the club?

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Please don't do this, there's a reason they are anonymous.
Most know who all 3 are ( actually 5 )
Suggest we listen to the other side of story before any judgement is made
Cheers

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I am not concerned so much about now, it is more the past

For example what happened during Troy Taylor's troubled time at the club?
Obviously someone would have to speak to Taylor about it, but from what I can remember Richmond did everything to help him settle, but for whatever reason, he simply couldn’t. The KGI started in 2011, the year Taylor decided to part ways with the RFC. I believe when Taylor was considering chucking it in that his own mother referred to him as being an ‘idiot’ for his behaviour.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Obviously someone would have to speak to Taylor about it, but from what I can remember Richmond did everything to help him settle, but for whatever reason, he simply couldn’t. The KGI started in 2011, the year Taylor decided to part ways with the RFC. I believe when Taylor was considering chucking it in that his own mother referred to him as being an ‘idiot’ for his behaviour.
I’m not suggesting anything bad happened but given what has just occurred I just think we should make sure. Not just us, all clubs.

There were lots of reports at the time but we probably didn’t hear the whole story, good or bad

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Depending on who wants to dig how far back, there'd be massive amounts of dirty laundry at all clubs regarding the indigenous players. Not sure there's much to be gained by holding inquiries and all then waving the laundry around.
Do think there needs to be a line in the sand moment that each of the clubs could acknowledge within their own group of indigenous players past and present with all clubs building their own systems of self improvement and betterment in the way they operate with not just their indigenous players, but all their players with different back grounds.
From the fringes looking in, I'm thinking the Tigers appear to be doing a fairly decent job of improving and adapting to make all players feel comfortable. Been doing a large amount of work with the Korin Gamadji institute and Bachar Houli foundation.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
We may not have been greatly public about it, but I think we had a good look at our club a fair way back, acknowledged that we’d made mistakes and resolved to do better. That was the catalyst for initiatives like KGI and the clubs community involvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
< 2023 GF | Wot !! >