Head knocks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Head knocks

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
This from the HS today.
Just hope they understand the consequences.
What will be next?
Head gear for all players?
Injuries from other parts of the body inciting more legal action.
Wearing of protective gear for the rest of the body like in the USA?
This could be the opening of Pandora's Box.
Hope I am wrong, buy who knows.
Is this the open door to the end of footy as we have all known it?
Sure, injured players have to be looked after in the proper manner, that is a given.
Then again anyone playing any sport knows the possibility of being injured.
We have all taken that risk and lived with it.
Will wait and see what happens here.

1677443729118.png

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
In 10 years maybe 5 our game is gonna look pretty different again. Even soccer has CTE issues from heading.

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Look, I had a shoulder injury from a contest in karate, which still affects me to some degree today.
Did I attempt to sue the person responsible for that injury or the dojo where I trained?
No, I knew the risks and still carried on.
Also had a knee operation, once again from playing sport, and did not contemplate taking any action for compensation.
I only mention this, as a lot on here would have suffered sports' related injuries and not given any thought to suing the club or individuals.
All sports, mainly contact sports, have the risk of injury.
Each to his own I suppose, but worry about the possibility of a lot more seeking compensation for injuries sustained in the AFL.
Where is this to end?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Helmet’s don’t stop concussion, has been proven conclusively, so mandating them is useless.
The few things I think will happen is anyone playing any level of football will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging that football is inherently dangerous and concussions may occur.
Next will be all players at any level required to complete specific training on how to protect the head in defensive and offensive situations and get a “license” to take the field.
Finally will be increased sanctions for head high contact. Immediate send off, min 2 weeks suspension. People who initiate head contact will also get sanctions

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Look, I had a shoulder injury from a contest in karate, which still affects me to some degree today.
Did I attempt to sue the person responsible for that injury or the dojo where I trained?
No, I knew the risks and still carried on.
Also had a knee operation, once again from playing sport, and did not contemplate taking any action for compensation.
I only mention this, as a lot on here would have suffered sports' related injuries and not given any thought to suing the club or individuals.
All sports, mainly contact sports, have the risk of injury.
Each to his own I suppose, but worry about the possibility of a lot more seeking compensation for injuries sustained in the AFL.
Where is this to end?

You might have done so if your injuries meant your brain was so damaged that you were prevented from working a full time job for the rest of your life, ala John Barnes and Daniel Venables.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
This won't go away and a wonder it hasn't bubbled up sooner for all sports

In the summer of 81/82 two 14yo boys died from hits to the head , one was while batting and the other while fielding
the result was some quick rule changes - no fielding closer than 11 meters of the batsman forward of the wicket and the introduction of helmets

A couple of years ago there was a push for the header to be banned from junior soccer in England or use a modified ball and even talk of banning it from seniors got kicked around

there was a bit of talk happening in Aussie rules circles around 2014 on the topic and in a 4th grade game in Canb one of our star players copped a high hit
I was assessing him and noticed he was a little confused , I quickly spoke to the coach and we called it, he was off , he was of and got his partner to take him to hospital as a precaution

discussing it after the game we agreed we did the right thing and we were protecting the player first and then we were protecting ourselves as the people in charge and then protecting the Club

and happy to see measures put in place to protect our players so we don't have class action in future

Reactions: 3 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Aren't they covered by insurance? And if it's not part of the standard AFL contract, which it should, as professionals shouldn't they be taking insurance out anyway?

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
The few things I think will happen is anyone playing any level of football will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging that football is inherently dangerous and concussions may occur.

This.

This is the only way forward as far as I can see. AFL participation is voluntary. It is also physical and violent by nature and anyone playing it should acknowledge so.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
That's ok for the snr leagues. Biggest concern is the Mum's making decisions at the grassroots level..
As I posted.
Pandora's box is opening.
Maybe all contact sport should be banned, but that won't happen.
Apart from almost full body armour, how does the various sports provide protection from injury?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
You might have done so if your injuries meant your brain was so damaged that you were prevented from working a full time job for the rest of your life, ala John Barnes and Daniel Venables.
And if a law firm had approached you and said they could win you a settlement of (say) $2 million from the karate schools insurers (hence not from any individual).

Having said that - the whole lawsuit issue (and just the threat of lawsuits) is gonna stuff up lots of sports and behaviours in society

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Helmet’s don’t stop concussion, has been proven conclusively, so mandating them is useless.
Agree 100%, Great for stopping your head getting split in 2, but useless for concussion, concussion is from the brain slamming into the scull.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Expect with this that a confirmed concussion will sideline a player for 3 months or more.