Head knocks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Head knocks

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Just another ambulance chasing law firm looking for a pay day.

Law firms end up with a fair chunk of any payout even though they have not suffered any injuries themselves. ( the system stinks ).

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
On the biggest stage we allow Dangerfield and Stewart leniency. Two examples of culpability.
At the same time we use platitudes like the head is sacrosanct
Then we see the trickle down effect in junior ranks.
For all of the AFL’s virtue signalling, there is bugger all follow up on vital football issues.

The suits should take them to the cleaners .

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
As predicted, Pandora's Box is well and truly opened.

Former AFLW player Emma Grant sues Collingwood claiming she has suffered injury, loss and damage​

A women’s footy star who retired due to concussion has accused Collingwood of breaching its duty of care by allowing her to train three weeks after she was injured.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Another opinion from a former player who should know a bit about injuries. Nathan Buckley.

Collingwood great Nathan Buckley has sided with the AFL in the wake of a landmark concussion class action, arguing that players knowingly run the risk of head injuries.
It is NOT about players being aware of the risks. Accidents happen. It is about the level of dissuasion that is implemented on all players and the penalties for offenders. Raising an elbow, choosing to run past the ball and bump. Players are "professional" they have an acute awareness of what they can get away with.
The AFL can't control what happens in a game but they can provide enforced standards of conduct.
This is how you set an example for all football comps.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think it should be as simple as dion prestia suing tom stewart?

And yes, jim jess would have been bankrupted many times over

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I think it should be as simple as dion prestia suing tom stewart?

And yes, jim jess would have been bankrupted many times over

It may well come to that but proving the effects of a single event would be difficult. You'd have to retire on the spot and never play again to make a case for compensation I would think.

Having said that I'm sure players will be going down the road of other frequently sued professions like Doctors and removing all assets from their names so they aren't worth anything to sue.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
As predicted, Pandora's Box is well and truly opened.

Former AFLW player Emma Grant sues Collingwood claiming she has suffered injury, loss and damage​

A women’s footy star who retired due to concussion has accused Collingwood of breaching its duty of care by allowing her to train three weeks after she was injured.
So here we go again.
Right or wrong, the Pandora's Box is well and truly open.
Who knows where this will end if ever.
Could these claims send the clubs and AFL broke?
Not suggesting for one minute that the claims should not be heard and judged.

Cats premiership player leads concussion lawsuit against AFL​

A dual Geelong premiership player is leading a class action against the AFL, with a claim lodged today on behalf of scores of footballers who suffered concussion related injuries.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
So here we go again.
Right or wrong, the Pandora's Box is well and truly open.
Who knows where this will end if ever.
Could these claims send the clubs and AFL broke?
Not suggesting for one minute that the claims should not be heard and judged.

Cats premiership player leads concussion lawsuit against AFL​

A dual Geelong premiership player is leading a class action against the AFL, with a claim lodged today on behalf of scores of footballers who suffered concussion related injuries.

Courts need to shut this down early. Each player would have known the risk of playing a contact sport and each accepted that risk and were paid for taking the risk.

Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Courts need to shut this down early. Each player would have known the risk of playing a contact sport and each accepted that risk and were paid for taking the risk.

Theres more nuance to it than that. Clubs can still be negligent and not apply the required duty of care even within the framework of a contact sport.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
My take too. You would have to be an idiot not to think there is a risk. If you don't want to drown, don't go in the water.

I've said this a few time but Sean Smith played until he was about 60 but continued to sue for money due to concussion and head knocks. Can't have it.

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Theres more nuance to it than that. Clubs can still be negligent and not apply the required duty of care even within the framework of a contact sport.

Sure. But we are talking about 60 players in this class action, not isolated instances of negligence. If this gets up, watch the next class action. Watch NRL players get involved etc

• Wow

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Sure. But we are talking about 60 players in this class action, not isolated instances of negligence. If this gets up, watch the next class action. Watch NRL players get involved etc
And if it does...BOOM!...then after the aftermath/financial fallout maybe a KO to the boys club as well!

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
If it says young men's lives, this can only be a good thing.

AFL has had its head in the sand for >10 years, when clearly this has become a big issue for all contact sports.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
If successful the how is the AFL and/or clubs going to pay the compensation sought after?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If you don't want to drown, don't go in the water

While i broadly agree with the simplification,

You could apply this logic to any negligence and legal breach;

If you want your lungs to work, dont work in a coal mine.

If you dont want to see civilians summarily executed, dont join the army

If you want your baby to have limbs, dont take morning sickness pills.