Head knocks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Head knocks

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
I'm in 2 frames of mind with concussion.
There is the they are at work ,got injured so afl should pay.

Then u have ,no one tells a player to go.in super mad stupid, as Max Rooke use to,
Compare him to Brandon Ellis and the biggest difference by far is the personal independent decisions they make for them selves,u expect contact and at the time accept it,only much later does money opportunity come into it.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
How far back are they going? Cause I remember pre-this era players (and fans) used to be proud of the old King Hit, in play or behind play!!

The guys back in the day would have a field day suing guys they played against for non-football related actions :censored:

And should the AFL go to a Paddy McCartin then, sorry pal, we're not taking the risk off you suing us in the future, or getting something worse, here's a $1-2M now and see ya later?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
How far back are they going? Cause I remember pre-this era players (and fans) used to be proud of the old King Hit, in play or behind play!!

The guys back in the day would have a field day suing guys they played against for non-football related actions :censored:

And should the AFL go to a Paddy McCartin then, sorry pal, we're not taking the risk off you suing us in the future, or getting something worse, here's a $1-2M now and see ya later?
I think 1985..
Some players had more headknocks than a woodpecker. Different era back then. Little or no duty of care. Some smelling salts and they’d go back on.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I think 1985..
Some players had more headknocks than a woodpecker. Different era back then. Little or no duty of care. Some smelling salts and they’d go back on.
1985, oh my!! :oops:
Lot of blokes in trouble man :eyes
The AFL can sue the blokes who went intentionally out there to King Hit!! :LOL:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Roger Merrett to start a Go Fund Me, Lethal to return to coaching at the Weagles on a fat contract for Bruns's claim!!
U heard it here first man :eyes

• Haha

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
ABLETT: I HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE

EXCLUSIVE JON ANDERSON
AFL legend Gary Ablett Sr has revealed a diagnosis of “significant structural and functional brain damage” in the wake of his storied 248-game career.
Ablett, 61, spoke on Saturday for the first time publicly of “headaches and skull pressure”, a condition that became migraines, insomnia, blurred vision, memory loss, anxiety, fatigue and severe depression.
Having read of the increasing number of former players afflicted, Ablett in November underwent a Swinburne Neuroimaging Facility scan used by the US military with an estimated accuracy of 90 per cent.
“I began getting headaches and pressure in the top of my skull around 2010, initially a few days a week,” he said.
“It then led to depression, anxiety and extreme fatigue.
“Under the advice of doctors I then had numerous scans to try and find the cause of headaches and skull pressure. Those type of scans couldn’t pick up CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) so in a way it’s relieving to at least have identified the problem.”
“From 2015 onwards, and almost every day, there were signs that things had changed, then about 12 months ago I started getting symptoms that alarmed me to the point where I contacted Peter Jess (Ablett’s former manager), who I’m aware has been a concussion advocate for a number of past players.
“I told him of my concerns and Peter helped organise an MEG scan that American military use. It showed I have significant structural and functional brain damage.
“I’ve since been seeing a psychiatrist named Dr John Perica once a month and receiving some new medical treatment that’s been helping reduce the headaches and improving my mood.”
The Australian Football Hall of Famer, who kicked 1025 goals from 1984 to 1996, had been helping provide meals for the needy on Geelong’s surf coast, but in recent months has been unable to work.
He approached the AFL Players Association for financial help but says his requests were met with silence.
“After providing them with all the information four months ago they just started avoiding me and not getting back to me which I find extremely disappointing and disrespectful,” he said.
“I feel I made a significant contribution to the game over 16 years of VFL and AFL football so it seems I’m not the only one with memory problems.
“And while I certainly don’t want to bring the game into disrepute or damage the image of the game, I’m really wanting to reveal these issues more for awareness and other players who may be experiencing the same problems.
“I acknowledge the AFL have done a tremendous job in cleaning up the game and minimising head contact and knocks as much as possible, however back when I played head knocks and injuries were far more common. Obviously I was a very physical player and while I only got totally knocked out eight to 10 times, I experienced being semi-concussed, such as ears ringing and out of it for a few minutes many dozens of times, but because you weren’t knocked completely out, you wouldn’t even bother mentioning it.”
Jess, the concussion crusader, points to the AFL’s lack of help to Ablett as a reason why the issue should be taken out of its hands.
“Clearly we need to separate the AFL’s oversight of health and welfare to an independent body of brain trauma experts to address what is a national sporting crisis,” Jess said.
“It requires collaboration of governments at all levels to fund a program. The two biggest biomedical centres in the NIH and CDC have publicly confirmed that repetitive collisions lead to CTE.
“If properly addressed some of these collisions are preventable but the AFL has sadly failed, meaning the decision-making process of the AFL needs to be made more accountable at every level.
“Gary Ablett’s scan showed structural and functional damage, and that should be paid for by the AFL. I contacted them and received a letter asking why should they fund the scan?
“The AFL is good at putting the game on but horrible at looking after the welfare of their past and current players, no better demonstrated than wasting $25m on a retrospective study that everybody knew what the outcome would be, which was if you play football you are a chance to suffer brain damage.
“What we need to do is spend $25m on finding ways to prevent concussion, such as the University of Cincinnati has done via a concussion prevention program where they have reduced concussion by 80 per cent in collision sports played on their campus.”
The AFLPA was unavailable for comment on Saturday, but has previously refused to discuss specific cases.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
ABLETT: I HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE

EXCLUSIVE JON ANDERSON
AFL legend Gary Ablett Sr has revealed a diagnosis of “significant structural and functional brain damage” in the wake of his storied 248-game career.
Ablett, 61, spoke on Saturday for the first time publicly of “headaches and skull pressure”, a condition that became migraines, insomnia, blurred vision, memory loss, anxiety, fatigue and severe depression.
Having read of the increasing number of former players afflicted, Ablett in November underwent a Swinburne Neuroimaging Facility scan used by the US military with an estimated accuracy of 90 per cent.
“I began getting headaches and pressure in the top of my skull around 2010, initially a few days a week,” he said.
“It then led to depression, anxiety and extreme fatigue.
“Under the advice of doctors I then had numerous scans to try and find the cause of headaches and skull pressure. Those type of scans couldn’t pick up CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) so in a way it’s relieving to at least have identified the problem.”
“From 2015 onwards, and almost every day, there were signs that things had changed, then about 12 months ago I started getting symptoms that alarmed me to the point where I contacted Peter Jess (Ablett’s former manager), who I’m aware has been a concussion advocate for a number of past players.
“I told him of my concerns and Peter helped organise an MEG scan that American military use. It showed I have significant structural and functional brain damage.
“I’ve since been seeing a psychiatrist named Dr John Perica once a month and receiving some new medical treatment that’s been helping reduce the headaches and improving my mood.”
The Australian Football Hall of Famer, who kicked 1025 goals from 1984 to 1996, had been helping provide meals for the needy on Geelong’s surf coast, but in recent months has been unable to work.
He approached the AFL Players Association for financial help but says his requests were met with silence.
“After providing them with all the information four months ago they just started avoiding me and not getting back to me which I find extremely disappointing and disrespectful,” he said.
“I feel I made a significant contribution to the game over 16 years of VFL and AFL football so it seems I’m not the only one with memory problems.
“And while I certainly don’t want to bring the game into disrepute or damage the image of the game, I’m really wanting to reveal these issues more for awareness and other players who may be experiencing the same problems.
“I acknowledge the AFL have done a tremendous job in cleaning up the game and minimising head contact and knocks as much as possible, however back when I played head knocks and injuries were far more common. Obviously I was a very physical player and while I only got totally knocked out eight to 10 times, I experienced being semi-concussed, such as ears ringing and out of it for a few minutes many dozens of times, but because you weren’t knocked completely out, you wouldn’t even bother mentioning it.”
Jess, the concussion crusader, points to the AFL’s lack of help to Ablett as a reason why the issue should be taken out of its hands.
“Clearly we need to separate the AFL’s oversight of health and welfare to an independent body of brain trauma experts to address what is a national sporting crisis,” Jess said.
“It requires collaboration of governments at all levels to fund a program. The two biggest biomedical centres in the NIH and CDC have publicly confirmed that repetitive collisions lead to CTE.
“If properly addressed some of these collisions are preventable but the AFL has sadly failed, meaning the decision-making process of the AFL needs to be made more accountable at every level.
“Gary Ablett’s scan showed structural and functional damage, and that should be paid for by the AFL. I contacted them and received a letter asking why should they fund the scan?
“The AFL is good at putting the game on but horrible at looking after the welfare of their past and current players, no better demonstrated than wasting $25m on a retrospective study that everybody knew what the outcome would be, which was if you play football you are a chance to suffer brain damage.
“What we need to do is spend $25m on finding ways to prevent concussion, such as the University of Cincinnati has done via a concussion prevention program where they have reduced concussion by 80 per cent in collision sports played on their campus.”
The AFLPA was unavailable for comment on Saturday, but has previously refused to discuss specific cases.
Firstly, he dished out more headaches than he received during his career.
Secondly, he was always a tad weird between the ears right from when his career started.
Thirdly, he was sampling substances as a young fella at career start n was fairly heavily in amongst it post career.
Fourthly, he's never been shy about sticking the hand out n insisting on an earner. Surprised it took him this long to join the queue, would have thought he'd have been one of the first in line.

Reactions: 1 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
On the biggest stage we allow Dangerfield and Stewart leniency. Two examples of culpability.
At the same time we use platitudes like the head is sacrosanct
Then we see the trickle down effect in junior ranks.
For all of the AFL’s virtue signalling, there is bugger all follow up on vital football issues.

The suits should take them to the cleaners .
60 down, hundreds to come... Vlossy and Dion take a ticket and join the queue.

The logical consequence of making rules and not having the guts to enforce them.

Reactions: 4 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Maybe they should go back to the Jack Dyer era.
He certainly dished out a few to the head in his day, with brute force.
So why not the family/relatives of those days also not file for recompense?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
On the biggest stage we allow Dangerfield and Stewart leniency. Two examples of culpability.
At the same time we use platitudes like the head is sacrosanct
Then we see the trickle down effect in junior ranks.
For all of the AFL’s virtue signalling, there is bugger all follow up on vital football issues.

The suits should take them to the cleaners .

yep - Gil and the AFL have been asleep at the wheel - classic cases where if they had come down hard, it sends a message that the AFL are serious, but at the moment some players know they can still hit and get away with it.

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Firstly, he dished out more headaches than he received during his career.
Secondly, he was always a tad weird between the ears right from when his career started.
Thirdly, he was sampling substances as a young fella at career start n was fairly heavily in amongst it post career.
Fourthly, he's never been shy about sticking the hand out n insisting on an earner. Surprised it took him this long to join the queue, would have thought he'd have been one of the first in line.
Firstly, I have sympathy for anyone who has this type of injury.
Secondly, I agree with all your points.
Thirdly, “He approached the AFL Players Association for financial help but says his requests were met with silence.
“After providing them with all the information four months ago they just started avoiding me and not getting back to me which I find extremely disappointing and disrespectful,” he said.”
I’m sure Alicia Horan’s parents feel the same way during the inquest into her death where he remained silent :mad:

Best player( before Dusty) I’ve seen play but a very ordinary person

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You've got Zantuck as well and he said he had multiple Richmond players saying the punishment for being late to training and other misdemeanours was to go 3 rounds of boxing without headgear to emphasise our lack of care

We could counter-sue them for being late and not keeping their guard up :peepwall

I knocked a bloke out in a footy training boxing session with a straight right in u16s. Even though i didnt like anything about him, I hope hes ok.

old (80's in my case) footy culture was certainly very ugly whichever way you dice it.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

What are you gonna do? Exhume them and mark an X on the legal docs with a finger and a thumb bone?

Someone should sue aomebas for holding back evolutionary development with single cells.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The Giants have lost two today from the game due to concussion after being ruled out of the game..it's going to shape matches.

Only a matter of time before we have an ill-thought out, inconsistently adjudicated, loopholey,

Send off rule.

Introduced mid-season.

(Would be an easy and good thing to do properly)

The broadcaster will be able to run a dozen gambling and crypto adds

In the time it takes to send an incident to the ARC, who'lle *smile* it up with opacity and ill-logic,

Down to the doctor, to see if the blokes hurt,

Quiz the offending player, to guage their intent,

And hold up the red card, with an MMA sponsorship on the back of it.

*smile*-off Gil

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
This is a concept not without precedent.