Health and Wellbeing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Health and Wellbeing

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Excellent and informative. I not only agree, but am in fact, living this and I've never been healthier, in how I feel, how I look and the all important pathology results. I remember finding out I had diabetes the hard way, when I nearly carked it from diabetic ketoacidosis. After being moved from HDU to a general ward I was greeted by a 'diabetes educator' and dietician and when I look back on what they told me, I am not surprised over the following 4 years I put on around 30 kg following their 'advice.'

I also remember a subsequent hospital visit to have a total thyroidectomy and I was given the diabetic diet :LOL: My breakfast was toast, with margarine and jam, weetbix, fruit compote (canned fruit in syrup), orange juice.
It’s madness isn’t it.

It’s a slow process but I think there’s a growing acknowledgment by health educators that we can’t keep feeding diabetics carbs and expect positive results.

Berstein’s “law of small numbers” is a great mantra for diabetics, but it could (and probably should) apply to the whole of society as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I remember finding out I had diabetes the hard way, when I nearly carked it from diabetic ketoacidosis.
The whole point of fasting (which ever way it’s done) is to bring the body into a state of nutritional ketosis. This is where the body has used up its stores of glucose and so then starts to burn fat. As I mentioned earlier, burning fat results in a release of ketones into the blood which have shown to be a highly efficient energy source, for body and brain.

Ketoacidosis is a combination of high blood glucose and high ketone levels which has come about through a lack of insulin, or a level of insulin resistance that means it’s essentially ineffectual. Either way, getting blood glucose levels down is the only way to avoid death.

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
How do you find it Ian? Good for losing weight, but any other benefits you've noticed?

I think its best for maintenance rather than losing a lot of weight. Like others in this thread I mainly lost weight with more exercise and a complete change of diet (cutting sugar and carbs out, better portion control and no snacks).

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
The whole point of fasting (which ever way it’s done) is to bring the body into a state of nutritional ketosis. This is where the body has used up its stores of glucose and so then starts to burn fat. As I mentioned earlier, burning fat results in a release of ketones into the blood which have shown to be a highly efficient energy source, for body and brain.

Ketoacidosis is a combination of high blood glucose and high ketone levels which has come about through a lack of insulin, or a level of insulin resistance that means it’s essentially ineffectual. Either way, getting blood glucose levels down is the only way to avoid death.
On a side note ..... re the 'fasting' discussion .............

Years ago I watched the movie Downfall (excellent!!!) and was struck (amazed) at how many of the real life persons that the movie was based on had (unless been killed in Soviet captivity) all lived to ripe age (eg 80-90+).

This in spite of the hardships of war - and most of them had done 5-10yrs in Soviet PoW camps!!! (e.g. not a very rich diet I imagine!!!)

This was reinforced the other day when I watched The Pianist (another great movie!) and similarly the main character (that endured incredible hardship/starvation) didn't die until he was 88+

Get's you thinking ....................

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Either way, getting blood glucose levels down is the only way to avoid death.

Permanently?

Just kidding - I am really learrning from your posts here too Midsy. I haven't gone down the full keto diet rabbit hole but I think the principles seem sound.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think its best for maintenance rather than losing a lot of weight. Like others in this thread I mainly lost weight with more exercise and a complete change of diet (cutting sugar and carbs out, better portion control and no snacks).

Yeah, I'm still persisting with low carb/low sugar/low processed food thing as well. I'm doing my second 24 hour fast today.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good timing for the start of this thread.

Coming out of lockdown I decided to finally put a new battery in the bathroom scales and was disappointed with what I came face to face with. I knew I had put some weight on over lockdown (barely doing any exercise, sitting down all day at my computer and living the lockdown biscuit diet suggested that). I'm about 180cm and came it at around 98kgs. I've always had big muscular legs so I've never been able to get anywhere near to "correct weight" but everyone is different so I'm usually comfortable with myself in the 86-88 kgs region.

I'm a big carb lover. I love bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and generally have them with every meal.

Since my "weigh-on", I've changed 3 things.

1 - I bought a few big bags of various nuts. They are more filling than biscuits, and they have far better properties. I ensure I include peanuts in this mix to include legumes as well as nuts, but love cashews and macadamias the most, but also include pecans and hazulnuts. I've barely eaten any biscuits this week.
2 - I've looked at cutting some portions of carbs out and replacing with something high in protein. Twice this week I have replaced rice / potatoes with an omelette, so easy to make, so tasty and full of protein. I do love eggs so its easy to switch over.
3 - Back to the gym now its open. I have stuffed up wrists that are still recovering, so I don't do weights, but RPM and Body Balance mixed through the week is great for me.

So far in about a week I'm now down to nearly 95kg's so a great start.

Aiming to continue this. Anyone have some great egg based recipe ideas for side dishes?

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Fantastic effort to do that, well done. I agree with the step count thing. I started with 5000, just to get me off my arse, then up to 7000 and now I'm doing 10000, occasionally breaking 12000. I hope to go up to 15000 soon.
Weather permitting I walk for an hour everyday. I just googled how many steps in an hour **** me there's only 7,200, 10,000 is 1 hour 40 o_O
I guess I could do 2 lots of 7,000, not sure I've got the motivation for that though.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Weather permitting I walk for an hour everyday. I just googled how many steps in an hour **** me there's only 7,200, 10,000 is 1 hour 40 o_O
I guess I could do 2 lots of 7,000, not sure I've got the motivation for that though.
Comes down to pace as well. Slow dawdle vs brisk walk. I'm sure most smartphones have a step counter these days, try using it for one of your walks and see hoe it goes.

But the 10k steps doesn't need to be just a deliberate exercise effort. Being mobile during the day all adds up to the 10k.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
Good timing for the start of this thread.

Coming out of lockdown I decided to finally put a new battery in the bathroom scales and was disappointed with what I came face to face with. I knew I had put some weight on over lockdown (barely doing any exercise, sitting down all day at my computer and living the lockdown biscuit diet suggested that). I'm about 180cm and came it at around 98kgs. I've always had big muscular legs so I've never been able to get anywhere near to "correct weight" but everyone is different so I'm usually comfortable with myself in the 86-88 kgs region.

I'm a big carb lover. I love bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and generally have them with every meal.

Since my "weigh-on", I've changed 3 things.

1 - I bought a few big bags of various nuts. They are more filling than biscuits, and they have far better properties. I ensure I include peanuts in this mix to include legumes as well as nuts, but love cashews and macadamias the most, but also include pecans and hazulnuts. I've barely eaten any biscuits this week.
2 - I've looked at cutting some portions of carbs out and replacing with something high in protein. Twice this week I have replaced rice / potatoes with an omelette, so easy to make, so tasty and full of protein. I do love eggs so its easy to switch over.
3 - Back to the gym now its open. I have stuffed up wrists that are still recovering, so I don't do weights, but RPM and Body Balance mixed through the week is great for me.

So far in about a week I'm now down to nearly 95kg's so a great start.

Aiming to continue this. Anyone have some great egg based recipe ideas for side dishes?
Yes, this guy

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
A few years ago I was 99kg 184 cms and had turned 40. I was puffy with man boobs and a double chin.

I purchased The Fast 800 book. Followed that for a few weeks. Then I took up running doing Parkrun. Hadn’t run more than 2kms in my life. My son who was 8 at the time encourages me to keep running. I couldn’t ran about 3kms and walked about 2km. After a month or so losing weight and doing a mid week run I was able to run 5km without stopping.

Now 3 years later run 3 or 4 times a week. Have adapted fasting to a few days during the week. I cheat on the weekends and eat and drink like a 21 year old. Weight between 82kg and 85kg over the last 2 years.

I use Strava, my Garmin to keep myself accountable. And in a true test of accountability I have entered the Melbourne marathon. I just hope to finish it. Never too old to start. And running for me is a lot better stress release than 10 beers at the cricket club which was the old way I went about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I only realised recently that as a teacher I've been accidentally doing 20:4 fasting my whole working life.

No time for breakfast with the little one, no morning tea or lunch breaks during the day because teaching is stupid, means I don't eat till about 4 o clock, then I have dinner at 7.

I don't know whether that's good or bad, but I've never thought about diet really and I'm 190 cm and 90 kg. That's basically Jack Riewoldt so I think I'm good. I'll ignore the lack of a footy players physique for now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I only realised recently that as a teacher I've been accidentally doing 20:4 fasting my whole working life.

No time for breakfast with the little one, no morning tea or lunch breaks during the day because teaching is stupid, means I don't eat till about 4 o clock, then I have dinner at 7.

I don't know whether that's good or bad, but I've never thought about diet really and I'm 190 cm and 90 kg. That's basically Jack Riewoldt so I think I'm good. I'll ignore the lack of a footy players physique for now.
ideal playing weight mate, deduct 100 from your height & that should be your weight

Unfortunately I'm a tad short :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Anyone have some great egg based recipe ideas for side dishes?
Simply add plenty of bacon, buttered toast, cheese n a dollop of dead horse for the obligatory healthy vegetable / fruit type component n you can't possibly go wrong.

• Love

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Nuts are your best friend. When you're hungry grab a bowl if mixed nuts. Walnut, hazelnut, almond, brazil nuts, peanuts, etc. Have this as your lunch every day and oats for breakfast and your body will thank you.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Careful with the nuts. Don't go overboard. They are very high in fat.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Nuts contain the good fats the body needs to keep healthy. Research has shown that a diet of nuts won't make you gain weight.

Best bit is they go so good with beer.

Last edited: