Health and Wellbeing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Health and Wellbeing

TT33

GO TIGES!!!
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Nuts contain the good fats the body needs to keep healthy. Research has shown that a diet of nuts won't make you gain weight.

Best bit is they go so good with beer.

But go with the unsalted nuts, much better for you. The other good thing for your gut ( internally speaking) is psyllium husks, a sprinkling on your cereal or in a glass of cold water or fruit juice. Don't sprinkle it on warm anything is quickly turns to gloop. :cautious:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

K3

Tiger Champion
Oct 9, 2006
But go with the unsalted nuts, much better for you. The other good thing for your gut ( internally speaking) is psyllium husks, a sprinkling on your cereal or in a glass of cold water or fruit juice. Don't sprinkle it on warm anything is quickly turns to gloop. :cautious:
I have found with intermittent fasting, and knocking 70% of processed foods out of my diet, that I need salt. Without it, it is like water just flows straight though me! haha

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nuts contain the good fats the body needs to keep healthy. Research has shown that a diet of nuts won't make you gain weight.

Best bit is they go so good with beer.

Yep they are very good at balancing your levels of cholesterol out. People use cholesterol as a bad word, but there are good cholesterols that we need. Nuts help with that balance. I've been having nuts as a snack. I'm already feeling better a week and a bit in and already seem to feel like my belly fat is reducing.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep they are very good at balancing your levels of cholesterol out. People use cholesterol as a bad word, but there are good cholesterols that we need. Nuts help with that balance. I've been having nuts as a snack. I'm already feeling better a week and a bit in and already seem to feel like my belly fat is reducing.
Yep instead of re heating last nights lasagna for lunch have a bowl of nuts.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Antman's intermittent fasting report - fasted Thursday 24 hours. Friday, ate quite a bit - porridge, banana for brekky, homemade fried chicken for lunch than a serve of KFC around 8pm. Had to do it.

Saturday, after a small breakfast (porridge) at 7am, fasted again with only a banana and heaps of coffee/milk and water until I slept.

Today, much more stable. Banana, porridge for brekky, then a lunch of salmon and two eggs. Not hungry yet. We'll see if I can last out the day without eating 4 naan breads, two chicken marsala and chocolate ice cream.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Think it's time I stopped looking in this thread, just way too disgustingly healthy for me. Spent a life time shoveling in whatever I want, whenever I want it n my Doc tells me every couple of years when I go for a visit that I'm seriously healthy n to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. They just hate me when I explain what my dietry intake is.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Superstar
Aug 20, 2005
Good timing for the start of this thread.

Coming out of lockdown I decided to finally put a new battery in the bathroom scales and was disappointed with what I came face to face with. I knew I had put some weight on over lockdown (barely doing any exercise, sitting down all day at my computer and living the lockdown biscuit diet suggested that). I'm about 180cm and came it at around 98kgs. I've always had big muscular legs so I've never been able to get anywhere near to "correct weight" but everyone is different so I'm usually comfortable with myself in the 86-88 kgs region.

I'm a big carb lover. I love bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and generally have them with every meal.

Since my "weigh-on", I've changed 3 things.

1 - I bought a few big bags of various nuts. They are more filling than biscuits, and they have far better properties. I ensure I include peanuts in this mix to include legumes as well as nuts, but love cashews and macadamias the most, but also include pecans and hazulnuts. I've barely eaten any biscuits this week.
2 - I've looked at cutting some portions of carbs out and replacing with something high in protein. Twice this week I have replaced rice / potatoes with an omelette, so easy to make, so tasty and full of protein. I do love eggs so its easy to switch over.
3 - Back to the gym now its open. I have stuffed up wrists that are still recovering, so I don't do weights, but RPM and Body Balance mixed through the week is great for me.

So far in about a week I'm now down to nearly 95kg's so a great start.

Aiming to continue this. Anyone have some great egg based recipe ideas for side dishes?

My go to is carrot and zucchini fritters. Two eggs, 30 gm of flour, 50g of grated cheese and grate one carrot and one zucchini, some onion (eg spring onion) and pepper and cook them like pancakes. You can serve with some other protein and/or tomato. Doesn’t sound great but tastes pretty good and the huge volume is filling. You can squeeze the juice out of the zucchini but I’ve found it isn’t necessary.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Superstar
Aug 20, 2005
Think it's time I stopped looking in this thread, just way too disgustingly healthy for me. Spent a life time shoveling in whatever I want, whenever I want it n my Doc tells me every couple of years when I go for a visit that I'm seriously healthy n to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. They just hate me when I explain what my dietry intake is.
There is always one chain smoker who lives to 110. Good luck to you.

doodle

Tiger Cub
Dec 12, 2020
My advice FWIW
1 Take cholesterol lowering therapy. Works an absolute charm.
It means you can eat some lovely foods without worry.
Also, poor cholesterol is a very powerful risk factor for coronary disease.
Lowering cholesterol is a powerful source of reduction in coronary disease.
Get the pills ..ie Rosuvastatin .
2 Exercise.
I lost over 10 kg by retiring, so I stopped sitting at a desk, and started playing golf several times a week, hence walked lots of ks and cycling modest amounts. No dietary changes by me.
A dietary change is great if it was needed in the first place.
It needs to be a permanent and sustainable diet...never a temporary quick fix..they never last long enough to have an effect.
3 Carbohydrates are generally only an issue for diabetics or those who consume them in excess in sugar drinks , takeaway junk, deserts, beer etc. For those who consume them in moderation they are no problem. Our brain only uses energy from sugars...ie they are not all bad.
By the way, fat has twice the calories than carbohydrates or protein. Get rid of unnecessary fat in your diet.
4 If you have high blood pressure get it treated. A serious risk factor for heart disease.
5 Get rid of stress ie over working.
6 Other not so fixable factors...Age, sex, genes.
7 Smoking is a huge risk factor for coronary disease. Stop immediately.
8 Diabetes is a huge risk factor for coronary disease. Have it treated aggressively and target perfect blood results ie Hb A1 c levels.
9 Consider prophylactic low dose aspirin if you have risk factors like, diabetes, blood pressure, high cholesterol, over 60 or a strong family history.
There's some free advice ..hope it helps.
The pills arnt enough to lower my cholesterol i have now just started an injection as well statins alone are not enough for me

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
The pills arnt enough to lower my cholesterol i have now just started an injection as well statins alone are not enough for me
You must have very poor cholesterol....that is quite unusual.
Generally statins in a decent dose, ie 40 mg Rosuvastatin will lower cholesterol by 30 % or more and improve HDL and LDL ratios.
But if your cholesterol after dietary changes is something like 8 or 9 , then a drop to say 6 would not be adequate...especially if you have other comorbidities.
I am glad you are receiving aggressive management.
Death from cardiac disease is still the biggest killer of males in particular and poor cholesterol a powerful risk factor.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There is always one chain smoker who lives to 110. Good luck to you.

MjAxMy1jNjFhY2JiNWE0MDc3Yzg4.png

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A few years ago I was 99kg 184 cms and had turned 40. I was puffy with man boobs and a double chin.

I purchased The Fast 800 book. Followed that for a few weeks. Then I took up running doing Parkrun. Hadn’t run more than 2kms in my life. My son who was 8 at the time encourages me to keep running. I couldn’t ran about 3kms and walked about 2km. After a month or so losing weight and doing a mid week run I was able to run 5km without stopping.

Now 3 years later run 3 or 4 times a week. Have adapted fasting to a few days during the week. I cheat on the weekends and eat and drink like a 21 year old. Weight between 82kg and 85kg over the last 2 years.

I use Strava, my Garmin to keep myself accountable. And in a true test of accountability I have entered the Melbourne marathon. I just hope to finish it. Never too old to start. And running for me is a lot better stress release than 10 beers at the cricket club which was the old way I went about it.

Well, I'm mid 50s about 178cm and likely a bit over 100KG. Some of this is build, yes I weigh more than I should, but I am also solid. Managed to get down to about 90Kg a few years back but COVID has not helped at all, waist went down to 34" but now back out at 36-38". Not too bad but portion size is a really hard one to beat.

What struck me though with this post was MB talking about running. I know I will never go running, and herein is the key. I can't be sure but I reckon MB might say the same about cycling or going to the gym. There are a fair few factors in this. Someone else mentioned stuffed wrists, I have tendonitis in both wrists, weights are hard but can be done, you just need to work out what can be done although is does very much limit options and I can't ever see myself going to a gym. I do try and do some push ups, but I have to do them on my fists as flat-handed push ups wreck my wrists, sore for days, plus I have some dumbells I use most days. Ironically given I have recently got Meniere's which plays havoc with balance, riding a bike is actually ok, but boy do I lose balance after a ride if it is a bad day.

You need to find exercise you will actually do, fits with what your body can do, and that is going to be different for different people.

Just have to keep working on how much goes down the throat though, hard one to get right. Snacks are shockers, when we go back to work I know it will be easier to avoid and riding to work will help. None of us will be perfect on this, geez, we're generally lucky to get close. Just have to keep trying and not sweat on the inevitable transgressions.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Superstar
Aug 20, 2005
Just have to keep working on how much goes down the throat though, hard one to get right. Snacks are shockers, when we go back to work I know it will be easier to avoid and riding to work will help. None of us will be perfect on this, geez, we're generally lucky to get close. Just have to keep trying and not sweat on the inevitable transgressions.

DS

You have the mental part right. As part of the CSIRO there is a supportive Facebook group. (Who knew Facebook could do good things). Whilst most folk on there are women, I’d say the majority of the issues are mental. What you say here is massive to not oversweat the transgressions (but also to own them). Most people on that group not losing IMO weren’t tracking everything that went in.

Again I’d say focus on ‘what’ vs ‘how much’ through the throat. If you get the ‘what’ right you can have as much of that as you want pretty much.

Separately on the movement stuff you need to respect what your body can do for sure. With that said my friends who are into longevity say that the moment you stop moving something it’s a fast track to death as it has a reinforcing negative spiral. I.e. lack of movement leads to weak muscles leads to lack of movement leads to joint pain leads to even less movement etc. I don’t know if this is backed by science but worthy of further investigation and rings true to my personal experiences . On the contrary starting things moving again can lead to reinforcing positive cycles. Good luck with it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You have the mental part right.

The mental part is the most important aspect of getting back to a healthy state. Without the mental discipline there's little chance of success.

Even reading through this thread you can gauge where people are at mentally. There are posts talking about what they can, what they will, what they do. Then there are others talking about why they can't, why they didn't, why it's hard, what the obstacles or blockers were.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You have the mental part right. As part of the CSIRO there is a supportive Facebook group. (Who knew Facebook could do good things). Whilst most folk on there are women, I’d say the majority of the issues are mental. What you say here is massive to not oversweat the transgressions (but also to own them). Most people on that group not losing IMO weren’t tracking everything that went in.

Again I’d say focus on ‘what’ vs ‘how much’ through the throat. If you get the ‘what’ right you can have as much of that as you want pretty much.

Separately on the movement stuff you need to respect what your body can do for sure. With that said my friends who are into longevity say that the moment you stop moving something it’s a fast track to death as it has a reinforcing negative spiral. I.e. lack of movement leads to weak muscles leads to lack of movement leads to joint pain leads to even less movement etc. I don’t know if this is backed by science but worthy of further investigation and rings true to my personal experiences . On the contrary starting things moving again can lead to reinforcing positive cycles. Good luck with it.

Yep, respect what your body can do, but also, look for solutions. I tried an exercise a while ago which was quite good (dumbbell swing) but sent my balance crazy with Meniere's so had to stop. On the other hand push ups killed my wrists but I can do them if I do push ups on my fists - sometimes you have to forego an exercise, but sometimes there is a solution.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
This thread should be banned. The afl won’t allow fat shaming. We should do the same…..
Sh!t, I can’t believe I referenced an afl directive as something to follow.
Its time for my medication…

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

shad

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Just my 2 cents worth.

Over the last couple of years I have largely replaced eating meat with eating beans/lentils. This was after reading about the Hispanic Paradox which basically is an explanation for the fact that Hispanic people in the US have much better health outcomes than other groups despite being quite disadvantaged socio-economically. In particular they have lower rates of heart disease and cancer.

I think that a lot of current research is showing that many health problems are due to low level, chronic inflammation. Beans appear to be a useful dietery mechanism for combating that.

Apart from that, beans are cheap, tasty and don't harm the environment.

The link is a very short read.

doodle

Tiger Cub
Dec 12, 2020
You must have very poor cholesterol....that is quite unusual.
Generally statins in a decent dose, ie 40 mg Rosuvastatin will lower cholesterol by 30 % or more and improve HDL and LDL ratios.
But if your cholesterol after dietary changes is something like 8 or 9 , then a drop to say 6 would not be adequate...especially if you have other comorbidities.
I am glad you are receiving aggressive management.
Death from cardiac disease is still the biggest killer of males in particular and poor cholesterol a powerful risk factor.
yeah its a new drug combined with statins the injection is once a month had my first one last week just stuck cartridge thing to my skin press a button injects over 9 mins very easy
called Repatha