Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
i still check the h/s site most days but would never pay for it. it's the first site to provide breaking news headlines and updates. once alerted to things i tend to search for further info elsewhere.

i have made donations to sites i enjoy when i know they are provided at an individual's personal costs but i'm not as keen to contribute to big business. just adding to their traffic helps them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just noticed that Perth Now, Adelaide Advertiser etc... are still the same. Why change the Melbourne one?? It's a headache to browse through.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Herald Sun went full paywall during the week and news.com.au now contains only the dregs.

Goodbye Robbo & co, doubt I'll miss you.

Edit: I take some of that back, plenty still available at news.com.au. However certain content such as 'Yarran quits Blues, Tigers-bound' is totally inaccessible.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The Herald Sun went full paywall during the week and news.com.au now contains only the dregs.

Goodbye Robbo & co, doubt I'll miss you.

Edit: I take some of that back, plenty still available at news.com.au. However certain content such as 'Yarran quits Blues, Tigers-bound' is totally inaccessible.

I 'pay-walled' the HUN quite a while back. My time is too valuable to read that rubbish.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Heh heh....the Vietnamese bloke with the P..c Dat Bich name in his passport took the Hun for a ride. It's all over social media. Just shows how useless these newspapers are in reporting, with no research been done on checking if his name was real or fake.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Sad news at Fairfax with a quarter of editorial jobs going.

What's really screwed them is their editorial line, Pravda on the Yarra as some critics call The Age. It's competing with the ABC, Grauniad, Independent Aus, Crikey, The Saturday Paper and, now, The New York Times. The recent pivot to the centre, as announced by management, was too little, too late. The left of centre market is too crammed with, mainly, free products for the Fairfax titles to get a sizeable, paying readership.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Re: Herald/Sun

scottyturnerscurse said:
The recent pivot to the centre, as announced by management, was too little, too late.

Hadn't heard about that but did notice the balance of their political commentary becoming slightly less unreasonable.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Hadn't heard about that but did notice the balance of their political commentary becoming slightly less unreasonable.

"Fairfax Media recently signalled it was moving away from the perception it was a left-leaning media organisation (despite having backed the Coalition in virtually every federal election) conspicuously towards the centre-right of politics. “We believe in the merits of market-based solutions to economic challenges and an Australia that rewards aspiration and hard work,” it said. But while staff rejected “any ideological direction” from the bosses and called the move “pernicious ideological interference”, management is not taking a back seat."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/21/fairfax-correspondent-under-the-pump-over-trump

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
Sad news at Fairfax with a quarter of editorial jobs going.

What's really screwed them is their editorial line, Pravda on the Yarra as some critics call The Age. It's competing with the ABC, Grauniad, Independent Aus, Crikey, The Saturday Paper and, now, The New York Times. The recent pivot to the centre, as announced by management, was too little, too late. The left of centre market is too crammed with, mainly, free products for the Fairfax titles to get a sizeable, paying readership.

Also screwed by executive salaries. The CEOs bonus would pay for 16 journos. That is just unreasonable.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

scottyturnerscurse said:
"Fairfax Media recently signalled it was moving away from the perception it was a left-leaning media organisation (despite having backed the Coalition in virtually every federal election) conspicuously towards the centre-right of politics. “We believe in the merits of market-based solutions to economic challenges and an Australia that rewards aspiration and hard work,” it said. But while staff rejected “any ideological direction” from the bosses and called the move “pernicious ideological interference”, management is not taking a back seat."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/21/fairfax-correspondent-under-the-pump-over-trump

Hahahahahaha, Paul McGeough. That guy is unreadable.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

scottyturnerscurse said:

"pernicious ideological interference".

Good name for a heavy metal band.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

scottyturnerscurse said:

this is 100% correct IMO. the supposed left wing bias of The Age is nothing more than ignorant perception. and they have definitely moved further to the right in recent years... massively sucked in by right wing populism. although it still doesn't spill as much blatant *smile* and lies as the Herald Sun.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Hahahahahaha, Paul McGeough. That guy is unreadable.

I am able to absorb a wide range of views and biases but this bloke just took the Mickey. Didn't even pretend to give any analysis just took the sledge hammer from first sentence to last.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Ian4 said:
this is 100% correct IMO. the supposed left wing bias of The Age is nothing more than ignorant perception. and they have definitely moved further to the right in recent years... massively sucked in by right wing populism. although it still doesn't spill as much blatant *smile* and lies as the Herald Sun.

Here here.

The demise of the age is little to do with its journalism.... the loss of classifieds has put them on lif support since the turn of the century. Is not a good thing. My last post was about being open to a wide range of views, that's the opposite of the sun, just a conga line of smug conservative clones.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Rohan Connolly just announced hes taken a voluntary redundancy packages from The Age. I know it can be fashionable to bash him but overall I do like him, I just wish he wasn't such a blinkered Essendon supporter. He was good in Brad Scott's presser on the weekend putting Scott under pressure to give the Tigers some credit.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The Age is still a left wing feminazi rag, regardless of any policy change its just the same as the Sydney Morning Herald.

Same goes for the Hun and the Daily Telgraph, Courier mail on the other side of the arguement.

Print media news is as dead as dead in the water its almost yesterdays news by the time it hits the stands with the internet killing it off.

You can get all the fake news you want by reading Facebook and the like which are the new Social Media weapons of mass mind bending, and unlike tv news and newspapers they get the kids young and brain wash em young.

The day is fast approaching when the novelty of going and buying a paper will be over.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:
The Age is still a left wing feminazi rag, regardless of any policy change its just the same as the Sydney Morning Herald.

lol, just lol. they have been right wing populist for a while now and haven't been shy in admitting it (just not as bad as the herald sun). not sure they were ever a "left wing feminazi rag" as you put it.

Either way, sad news about RC. comfortably the best footy journo going around. But I'm sure he'll still be around in some form.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They were always Centre-Left, now more Centre.

Print and news media's problem is that online ad revenue has never replaced print ad and classified ad revenues.