HOW ARE YOU ALL COPING? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

HOW ARE YOU ALL COPING?

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I played 5 sets against EZJ yesterday (6-0, 6-1, 6-2,6-0,8-6)

I tried to retire hurt at 6-6 in the 5th but EZJ just wouldn't have it.

he'd found his range on his drop shot and lob and sensed he had the old man on the ropes.

he smelt his first set and was popping about like bacon in a skillet.

I blasted my way home. hit my 2nd serves quicker than the 1st's and stepped into his.

today my right knee is twice as big as my left.

I dont think ive ever felt this sore.

I lost my first ever set against my 17 y.o yesterday. 1-6. His unforced error rate improved out of sight. He's a much more natural sportsman than I ever was, and should have been beating me for a couple of years. I'm a bit worried that now he's got the monkey off his back I might be done. Might have to start playing with one of his little brothers.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I've been playing a lot of one on one basketball with my 14 year old son. Unlike half of his mates he's still actually shorter than me. The "court" that we play on is a reasonably confined concreted car parking spot in the front yard so my extra height and reach (and girth :D) compared to him is a massive advantage. But my distinct lack of pace is starting to show and he's working out how to get around me and he's now got me 3 times in a row. Might be time to retire....................

Oh well, he still can't beat me at darts!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I'm seriously bored today.

Done a few jobs for SWMBO over the last few days but the motivation is waning.

Sorted out some fishing tackle and might wet a line in the next day or so.

Make a liter of Jack Daniels and 2 liters of Wild Turkey yesterday. Enjoying a strong JD right now.

I did a couple of lamb steaks on the BBQ tonight and the wife baked veggies. Needed mint sauce but it was good.

I'm cooking a beef stew in the slow cooker. Will be dinner tomorrow and we'll freeze a couple of meals.

If this isolation sh!t doesn't end soon I'll need new clothes and start going to AA.

I keep telling myself I'm lucky to be home, healthy, and (too) well fed, and that there are so many that would give an arm to swap places. Now I feel guilty.

I'm so missing footy.

I hope you're all well and keeping occupied.

Obviously Quick Draw you don't live in the police state. Fishing is not allowed here. If you are lucky enough to live in this get fined state and live near the Murray you can go fish, as that river is in NSW, where you can fish. Don't get caught going there though, you might end up in jail.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I've been playing a lot of one on one basketball with my 14 year old son. Unlike half of his mates he's still actually shorter than me. The "court" that we play on is a reasonably confined concreted car parking spot in the front yard so my extra height and reach (and girth :D) compared to him is a massive advantage. But my distinct lack of pace is starting to show and he's working out how to get around me and he's now got me 3 times in a row. Might be time to retire....................

Oh well, he still can't beat me at darts!
Put up a basketball ring for the kids at the beginning of the lockdown. Take breaks from work to go outside and shoot some hoops. Never played basketball but I'm nailing 3 pointers quite regularly now.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Without an examination, sounds like a bit of osteoarthritis Ezy.

ICE (as opposed to RICE, forget the rest, gentle movement is better) and massage will do the trick. If you can get a finger each side of the tendon in the front and firmly run them vertical right through and around the kneecap you'll feel some relief. Try it with the knee straight and at 45 degrees.

Check your shoes as well. If you are playing in anything but court shoes the sudden stop when chasing a drop shot will play havoc with your knees and ankles and eventually something will give way.
And failing that easy, grab a bottle and go have a lie down in the grass. I don’t know how you will get on with the hill, i’m tipping you’ll get back down without a problem ;)

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
As I have so much time I’m finding instead of condensing my training in 1 or 2, I’m spreading it over 4.

I’m also training my son and a couple of his friends in preparation whenever their footy season commences again.

Also training a friend.

Pretty busy week now for as well as taking my wife to work in the morning and picking her up in the evening.

Oh yeah checking on Mum too and seeing if she needs anything.

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Obviously Quick Draw you don't live in the police state. Fishing is not allowed here. If you are lucky enough to live in this get fined state and live near the Murray you can go fish, as that river is in NSW, where you can fish. Don't get caught going there though, you might end up in jail.
Close Graystar, but no cigar this time.

Home is in South Australia these days. We live about 500m from the beach so I'll meander down sometime soon and feed the fish. Even allowed to drive on the beach down here.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Close Graystar, but no cigar this time.

Home is in South Australia these days. We live about 500m from the beach so I'll meander down sometime soon and feed the fish. Even allowed to drive on the beach down here.
Lucky you Quick draw. What do you hope to get...salmon, tailer, bream, flatties or whiting??

When I ived in Tura beach, near Merimbula, I used to get all those from the beach. Loved my fishing. Always had a freezer full of fish. Happy days.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Without an examination, sounds like a bit of osteoarthritis Ezy.

ICE (as opposed to RICE, forget the rest, gentle movement is better) and massage will do the trick. If you can get a finger each side of the tendon in the front and firmly run them vertical right through and around the kneecap you'll feel some relief. Try it with the knee straight and at 45 degrees.

Check your shoes as well. If you are playing in anything but court shoes the sudden stop when chasing a drop shot will play havoc with your knees and ankles and eventually something will give way.

Thanks heaps BR. Yeah I was playing in an old pair of decent ASICS runners but they are pretty old?

Knee is still up and sore as *smile* today and I was just about to put the question out there to the medicos.

been keeping it moving today.

EZJ is freaking me out saying 'you've done your ACL or PCL or ML or some kinda L dad' and laughing at me hobbling around.

I retort, in a fairly measured fashion

'get *smile*. If I have, you will never ever take a set off me you smart arse little *smile*'

I played out the set mostly without pain or restriction, so I havnt done any ligaments surely?

It just blew/seized up the next day.

I lost my first ever set against my 17 y.o yesterday. 1-6. His unforced error rate improved out of sight. He's a much more natural sportsman than I ever was, and should have been beating me for a couple of years. I'm a bit worried that now he's got the monkey off his back I might be done. Might have to start playing with one of his little brothers.

I reckon 17 is when they laugh at you on the way to victory in almost anything but an arm wrestle shad.

Ive always connived not to verse my kids in anything after 16.

I made the mistake of racing my oldest over 100m on the beach when he'd just turned 17 (so I woulda been 42?), after being undefeated for 17 years,

and he ran the last 20m backwards, laughing uncontrollably at me and won by 10 lengths.

If I get back on the court, which is hard to imagine at the moment, EZJ has about 10 months to take a set off me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Back to the paddock Ezy.

I can sense some sort of footy not that far off now, 12 weeks.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
School at home has started and yet to do any work of my own, it is going to be a very long term!
:bash

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
School at home has started and yet to do any work of my own, it is going to be a very long term!
:bash

what year/s Mr.T?

My boy is in year 11.

I found a clip on youtube of the killing floor in an abattoir

and said

'do 4 hours school a day, everyday, or youlle work somewhere like this for 40 years'

I used to be a primary teacher, and there's a large proportion of everyday spent *smile* about.

I reckon 2 hours learning a day is plenty for primary, 4 hours for high school.

and don't forget, that watching a family function/cope/thrive/grow in a crisis is profound, once in a lifetime learning.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
what year/s Mr.T?

My boy is in year 11.

I found a clip on youtube of the killing floor in an abattoir

and said

'do 4 hours school a day, everyday, or youlle work somewhere like this for 40 years'

I used to be a primary teacher, and there's a large proportion of everyday spent ******* about.

I reckon 2 hours learning a day is plenty for primary, 4 hours for high school.

and don't forget, that watching a family function/cope/thrive/grow in a crisis is profound, once in a lifetime learning.

Two young ones, grade 3 and 4, and 1 in Uni which doesn't count (in a good way)... the problem is that Teachers at our school want to run the day to a similar schedule and there were more than 3.5 hours scheduled work... if they did schedule 2 hours, it would take 4 to do with all the whinging and moaning. :D

There were many tech issues from the teacher side too which to be fair it is the first day... I think tomorrow and the days following they will be more realistic with what can be achieved with isolated teaching.

We are fortunate that our eldest completed year 12 last year, can't imagine the stress of 'finishing' students this year.

Hope your boy (and all kids) goes well.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
EzyT is so right, especially for primary kids they just need a few hours of work to keep their learning ticking along. Kids do a lot of learning outside structured activities too.

I do wonder why they haven't been looking more at the material already produced for distance learning students. I know there is an obsession with using technology but these materials already exist, can easily be sent out (paper copies would be good because paper is compelling technology - it works, even when the WiFi is down!).

Our daughter's problem is the opposite, doing a Master of Teaching and teaching rounds postponed, until when nobody knows.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
EzyT is so right, especially for primary kids they just need a few hours of work to keep their learning ticking along. Kids do a lot of learning outside structured activities too.

I do wonder why they haven't been looking more at the material already produced for distance learning students. I know there is an obsession with using technology but these materials already exist, can easily be sent out (paper copies would be good because paper is compelling technology - it works, even when the WiFi is down!).

Our daughter's problem is the opposite, doing a Master of Teaching and teaching rounds postponed, until when nobody knows.

DS

Spot on dav.
I would rather the kids have books without always relying on a computer.
Our area has the worse network coverage too which makes it 10 times worse.