how come there isn't already a census, technological debacle thread? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

how come there isn't already a census, technological debacle thread?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
its good to see that the campaign by atheist groups had some affect, but I still reckon there would have been many who chose fake religions such as jedi or pastafarian. or many people who were christened into a certain religion they don't follow, but still chose that religion. In other words, I reckon its a fair bit higher than 29.6%.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
I had three middle aged women at my work put down their religion as Catholic despite actually identifying as no religion.

They all believed if they were to put down no religion, that Islam would show on the census as the most popular religious form, and therefore it would allow Islam followers to force Australia to become a Sharia Law country.

It's probably the only time in my life I literally did not know where to begin. It didn't matter what I said, they knew knew better than I.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Tigertool said:
I had three middle aged women at my work put down their religion as Catholic despite actually identifying as no religion.

They all believed if they were to put down no religion, that Islam would show on the census as the most popular religious form, and therefore it would allow Islam followers to force Australia to become a Sharia Law country.

It's probably the only time in my life I literally did not know where to begin. It didn't matter what I said, they knew knew better than I.
Where on earth did they come up with that theory?

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
its good to see that the campaign by atheist groups had some affect, but I still reckon there would have been many who chose fake religions such as jedi or pastafarian. or many people who were christened into a certain religion they don't follow, but still chose that religion. In other words, I reckon its a fair bit higher than 29.6%.
Agreed.

People who put down Jedi or Pastafarian or Richmond as their religion are put into "not applicable" category. There is a criteria as to what constitutes a religion. So yes, if they put down NR it would be more than 7 million.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
tigertim said:
Australias 23,409 people are made up of:
Christians:12,201
No religion:7,040
Muslim:604
Buddhist: 563
Hindu:440
Sikh:126
Jew:91
Other: 186

I still think there's many in the Christian category who still tick, for eg Catholic because they grew up catholic but don't go to church and don't really believe in God.

Why wouldn't that apply to other religions? I know Jews who don't believe. Hindus that don't care too much for any of their ten thousand gods. I am surprised at the high Budhist numbers..,are they primarily from a particular ethnic group or an Aussies who went backpacking in Asia and wore those loose draw string pants for a few weeks?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Ian4 said:
or many people who were christened into a certain religion they don't follow, but still chose that religion.

That certain religion would Christianity. Not sure why you couldn't specify it.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
22nd Man said:
That certain religion would Christianity. Not sure why you couldn't specify it.

When you've been indoctrinated from birth you don't always realise it has infected your language.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Census data released today. Best news was that those who identified as "no religion" how up to 29.6% up from 16% in 2001 and 0.8% in 1966!

Our aim should for 100%.... :p
5 years on and the the percentage of the population who identified as “no religion” rose again, from 29.6% to 39%!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
5 years on and the the percentage of the population who identified as “no religion” rose again, from 29.6% to 39%!

imagine.jpg

DS

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
First time in the history of census in the Australia that the majority of Australians have not identified as Christian. Only 44% now.
There is some growth in Islam and Hinduism but the major move is as you say, to no religion at all.

Yeah, for all the paranoia from some quarters, in the media and some political parties, muslims and hindus are a remarkably small proportion of the population.

DS