HOW DANGEROUS?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

HOW DANGEROUS??

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Simple again, one from each side in the area, if another player contests, free kick. Still no need to nominate.

Overly complex solution to a simple problem.

so in effect it needs a clear area ( an imaginary circle around the umpire) with all other players to stand back.
As Baloo stated there will be frees given when players encroach an imaginary line.
And what of players who are "slow" to get clear the area or claim to be competing.
A free kick because Miles was on the base of the pack and hadnt cleared the ballup area before the ump tossed it up??

This proposal might be workable, but isnt without whiskers.
It needs a rule, whether its the Ant clear area or a u11 nomination rule

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The game will be set back 20y it doesn’t have to be , killing off vfl and acedmies is short sighted and will cripple pathways

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
so in effect it needs a clear area ( an imaginary circle around the umpire) with all other players to stand back.
As Baloo stated there will be frees given when players encroach an imaginary line.
And what of players who are "slow" to get clear the area or claim to be competing.
A free kick because Miles was on the base of the pack and hadnt cleared the ballup area before the ump tossed it up??

This proposal might be workable, but isnt without whiskers.
It needs a rule, whether its the Ant clear area or a u11 nomination rule

It needs a rule if you think there was a problem in the first place.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Midfielders would have to not be allowed to touch each other until the ball went up as ruckman are now or you would have to go back to ruckman wrestling which again allows plodders to keep athletes from jumping.

I think the nomination is a much better way, there's really no excuse for the confusion if the player is on the ball. I was at a huddle last season after a free kick had been given for someone contesting a ruck contest without nominating.
The senior coaches message (with names redacted) was: " For *smile*'s sake ................, all you have to do is put up your *smile* hand. If we can't get that right we may as well *smile* quit now".

Players will always make mistakes and coaches will always swear and belittle, that's their job. The rule is still anathema to me though in two ways - it means everyone else must stand around and watch (well not exactly but you know what I mean) and it also leads to these bizarre non-contests occasionally. But hey, the rule is there so I have to deal with it. And I'm outvoted here :)

As I said, the great thing about our game is anyone can go anywhere (no offside) and do anything. Adding additional regulation and complexity may solve one problem but usually causes another unforeseen one.

And still hate the deliberate OOB as it will never be "adjudicated better" as umpires will still be making judgement calls on the perceived intent of players.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It needs a rule if you think there was a problem in the first place.
yeah I do.
Footballers from either side should be able to compete without being held or blocked by someone with no intention of going for the ball.

Same problem with forwards

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
yeah I do.
Footballers from either side should be able to compete without being held or blocked by someone with no intention of going for the ball.

Same problem with forwards

So if someone is held or blocked pay a free. There's already rules for that.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

You really want these umpires to have to try and police another difficult subjective rule when the infringement could be happening in a 300deg arc around them?

You obviously rate the umpires as highly as TBR

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
not unless you want the rucks to not hold or block at all.

ruckmen wrestle with each other.
Bump push jostle to get position. I like there to be plenty of physicality to make it a contest of strength and technique, and also a jumping show.

But it was subverted from a mano et mano duel, with teams stopping the opp ruck from contesting fairly.

It can be difficult for umpires to pay a block, holding free when its 2 rucks both engaged... and then a 3rd jumps over the top.
Was the 1st one competing fairly or simply blocking for his teammate?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You really want these umpires to have to try and police another difficult subjective rule when the infringement could be happening in a 300deg arc around them?

You obviously rate the umpires as highly as TBR

I'm more of a "play-on" kind of guy anyway.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
not unless you want the rucks to not hold or block at all.

ruckmen wrestle with each other.
Bump push jostle to get position. I like there to be plenty of physicality to make it a contest of strength and technique, and also a jumping show.

But it was subverted from a mano et mano duel, with teams stopping the opp ruck from contesting fairly.

It can be difficult for umpires to pay a block, holding free when its 2 rucks both engaged... and then a 3rd jumps over the top.
Was the 1st one competing fairly or simply blocking for his teammate?

Yeah I'll concede this one TD. But it doesn't mean I have to like it!!!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
a last touch rule will overpenalise in so many instances....
a loose ball that is bouncing around, a marking contest, tackling and forcing them over the line.
It works in other sports but will completely change the dynamic and method of play.

It will be a farce. How many times will players wait and watch the ball bounce over the line?

Or push a player into the ball so they get the last touch. Would be very stupid, the game is better with boundary throw ins.

The interpretation of holding the man has pissed me off for years, players get held all over the place and no frees. I realise the interpretation has changed but I don't like it. If a player is not in possession of the ball they can be shepherded but not held.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
“Protected zone”, impossible to enforce consistently - FAIL
Shepherding on the mark, Hawthorn-style, allowed to flourish - FAIL
Incorrect disposal, a mess - FAIL
MRP/MRO/Tribunal system, still erratic - FAIL
Goal review system, as many new problems as answers - FAIL
Biased fixture, contrived equality - FAIL
Priority pick system, encouraged and abetted tanking - MASSIVE FAIL/SACKABLE OFFENCE

The calls from McGuire to shorten the game and play more Thursday night games show how out of touch some are with the paying spectator. Attendances in 2019 were the highest for a decade.

Fix the stuff that needs fixing, and no more.

Reactions: 4 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
You know these clowns might kill the game for good.

When footy stopped I was at a loss but walking around parks and creeks I've found lots of kids playing kick to kick as well as riding bikes, flying kites and throwing frisbees.

I'm 60 plus and hoping to have a kick to kick on the weekend,

We might just realise we don't need an americanised monetised product foisted upon us Hutchy style and just enjoy playing the game or watching or helping the local team.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
You know these clowns might kill the game for good.

When footy stopped I was at a loss but walking around parks and creeks I've found lots of kids playing kick to kick as well as riding bikes, flying kites and throwing frisbees.

I'm 60 plus and hoping to have a kick to kick on the weekend,

We might just realise we don't need an americanised monetised product foisted upon us Hutchy style and just enjoy playing the game or watching or helping the local team.

Can think of a certain 37 year period where smelling the roses and playing kick to kick in the park might have been a genuine alternative to following the footy - but not now.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
“Protected zone”, impossible to enforce consistently - FAIL
Shepherding on the mark, Hawthorn-style, allowed to flourish - FAIL
Incorrect disposal, a mess - FAIL
MRP/MRO/Tribunal system, still erratic - FAIL
Goal review system, as many new problems as answers - FAIL
Biased fixture, contrived equality - FAIL
Priority pick system, encouraged and abetted tanking - MASSIVE FAIL/SACKABLE OFFENCE

The calls from McGuire to shorten the game and play more Thursday night games show how out of touch some are with the paying spectator. Attendances in 2019 were the highest for a decade.

Fix the stuff that needs fixing, and no more.
Spot on LTRR. The missed 50 to Lynchy in the 3rd quarter of the Prelim for encroachment in the protected area (when he passed off to Dion for a goal) was unbelievable. Stewart almost touched him he was that close to Lynchy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users