• PRE should be functioning as per usual. Please email admin@puntroadend.com to report anything odd that is occuring over the next few days as we settle a few database issues.

How Malcom Blight plans to “fix” the AFL

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
https://www.zerohanger.com/how-malcom-blight-plans-to-fix-the-afl-20302/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=AFL+Memes

How Malcom Blight plans to “fix” the AFL
Georgie Dennis - May 24, 2018 - 11:49 am

The newest member of the AFL competition committee revealed this morning what ideas he will bring to the table.

AFL legend Malcolm Blight has been invited to join the AFL’s competition committee, and this morning he revealed what radical ideas he will be suggesting to improve the game.

The premiership coach says he won’t be limiting the number of ideas he will be putting on the table.

“I don’t think there’s any limit on how imaginative we can be,” he said on SEN’s Whateley this morning.

“This is the biggest radical change, the last touch out of bounds, they’ve been using it in the SANFL and the numbers are quite interesting and the rotations going down is another one that a lot of people are suggesting.

“I think it is generally accepted that we let the coaches coach, their job is to win and the players are driven by the coaches to do whatever possible so always the administration of the business has to overlook the business and see what’s best for it.”

Blight also told Gerard Whately some of the suggestions other people had put to him.

“You’ve probably heard all of these before, but someone last night mentioned 14 or 16 per side, umpire every game like the Grand Final and the other one was change the ball – how radical would that be!” he said.

“Even the bonus points. Any team that scores over 100 points, give them a bonus premiership point so you can actually make the finals on bonus points.”

The Hall of Famer says that while he believes there are some parts of the game that needs to be fixed, the game is in good shape overall.
“I think the product is good. I think the whole gambit of going to a game of footy is sensational,” he said.

“There’s some terrific athletes out there and when they get in space, the skills are enormous, all I’m saying is we don’t let them do it enough.

“The game’s okay, but I reckon the game can be better. Get rid of some of these packs, get rid of some of these people in an area and let the players play.”

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
FFS!
So the best that Blighty can come up with to reinvigorate our game and fix the congestion tax, is to regurgitate a handful of ideas that have been spinning around footy pub chatter for thirty years. Back to the golf course for you Blighty n nothing but bogies for the next few years.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I heard him today, if any of his ideas get brought in. The game will not be AFL.
Zones. 6 vs 6. Last man to touch the ball. All bullshit ideas

Mac

Tiger Superstar
Sep 16, 2003
Wait. Zerohanger is like a Titus O'Reilly kind of 'not real but funny to write about it as if it was true' kind of site isn't it?

Isn't it?

Wait.

What?

Wait.

What kind of MORONS would put this imbecilic, psychotic old nitwit on any REAL panel of ANY description?? He lost the freakin' plot YEARS ago!

(Please tell me this is a joke :( )

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
melbourne
I jkust cant for the life of me understand how dead set greats of the game such as Blight and Matthews KB, Sheedy, are all continually looking for ways to completely #@$^@ the game up and remove it from the game it was that they dominated in and the fans love.

No other game in the world #$@%@ around with its rules every 5 minutes.

Had enough of Pundits and their lame 5 minutes of re relevance every second week.

Heres an even greater idea from me a fan who is fat losing his interest in the AFL ......All you F#@%tards in the media and ex players leave the game alone.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
tigersnake said:
Change the ball? change it into what?
Garlic, erm I mean Gaelic. Could incorporate a few more of their rules like no tackles n ankle kicking to liven things up a bit.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Anything he suggests will be a real blight on the game

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I reckon that every major rule change the afl has implemented in the last decade has had the opposite effect of what was intended.

Deliberate rushed behind rule saw the invention of the forward press. Sub rule saw teams ditch the designated second ruck and play another small which just added to congestion. Interchange cap, again clubs are just playing less talls. Toughening of deliberate out of bounds means clubs can just put more players around the ball because the opposition can’t kick for touch any more.

The afl need to stop *smile*ing with the rules and give the game a chance to sort itself out.

Edit: The expansion clubs also screwed things up by diluting the talent pool. Particularly When it comes to talls. The best young talls went to gcs and GWS with little left over for the rest. Other clubs had a choice to either play inferior talls to maintain traditional structure or like us, not play them at all which has led to more congestion.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Where is his idea about making a time machine and going back in time to September 2017 to change the course of history by locking Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin and Houli in a prison cell on Grand Final Day?

Oh, and Edwards.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
TOT70 said:
Where is his idea about making a time machine and going back in time to September 2017 to change the course of history by locking Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin and Houli in a prison cell on Grand Final Day?

Oh, and Edwards.
That leaves Graham, Townsend, Grigg, Butler, George, Prestia, Lambert & Caddy. They scored enough to still beat the crows.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
senile old men remembering the good old days!

The older we get the more we reminisce.

What a great idea, lets put these people in charge of the future!

:help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Tigers of Old said:
Malcolm *smile*ing Blight is a old rambler with crazy ideas! Keep him well away!
Exactly how I feel.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
for the record, Im an old man myself.

I wouldn't ask to go back to my industry after retirement and a decade of golf and tell em how to fix the future of the industry!

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Watched footy through the sixties/ seventies etc right up until now. It doesn't need half wits in suits or worn out old nuffers dreaming of former glories to " FIX " it. It needs to be left alone n allowed to change and evolve through the coaches and players as it has always done. I enjoy the game in itself just as much as I did when I was ten or thirty now that I'm in my sixties. Matter of fact, watching games from yesteryear simply reminds me of how basic, simplistic n average a game it was way back then.

Comparing footy from the old days is like comparing cars or motorbikes from the old days to now. The memories n reminiscence is sweet, but the reality is a completely different scenario.

Every time some expert comes up with a new rule to fix what isn't broken, they find themselves inventing another half a dozen extra rules to try n fix the **** up they started by fiddling in the first place. They are constantly fiddling around with **** ten years after the fact n wondering why the people at the coal face just keep getting further n further ahead.