How Malcom Blight plans to “fix” the AFL

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
So why does Aussie rules suddenly need to emulate other games n play for two 40 minute halves?
Games been four twenty five minute qtrs plus time on since way back when I was a kid. Then the experts shortened the qtrs by a few minutes so that the advertisers would have more time to run commercials and the maggots could prance n waggle before every bounce, which lengthened the game time instead of shortening. Which simply made for less playing time n more bullshit time. Now they want to save all the little kiddies n all the working class by shaving a whole ten minutes off the half time break, so we can all get to bed early when they have Thurs night games n Mon night games n mid week games. Plus they're thinking of shaving a few more minutes off the qtrs again to save even more time.
Strange how people chuck tantrums when companies change the size n quantity of their products without reducing the price yet some are more than happy to get reduced game time and be forced to miss parts of the game while lining up for a pee, beer or feed, with more bullshit thrown in as if the Flogs are doing us all a favour.
umm... such a way overreaction. Footy emulates other sports, whether you like it or not. In this instance, I am just comparing the running time to other sports. We live in a society where people are constantly busy, don't have enough time on their hands. We also live in a country where there is an insane amount of competition for the hearts and minds of sports lovers. the running time for an NRL game is so short that they are able to play 2 games after work on a Friday night. We could do this as well if our game was shortened to 2:10 as per my suggestion.

In addition, it also has a lot to do with boredom and improving the game. our club at on top of the tree, so we don't notice it so much... but the game is still trash to watch. I've been a long advocate of shortening the game and shortening the season because I wanna see the quality improve. and I have no doubt it will if this occurs. 18 games per season of 4 x 18 minute quarters plus time-on has a nice ring to it.

btw, we went from 25 minutes plus time-on to 20 minutes plus time-on because the way they calculated time-on changed at the time. from memory, the clock was not stopped for boundary throw-ins and ball-ups. Clubs milked this in close matches. this changed when we went to 20 minutes plus time-on and it barely affected the length of quarters as stoppages in games increased.

I'm also against an over-saturation of Thursday night games. Keep it for round 1 and thats it. But it opens up other opportunities. double headers on Friday nights. a return to the traditional 2:10pm first bounce (instead of 1:10pm and 1:45pm on Saturday and Sunday). an earlier finish to night games for families. opportunity for less games on Sunday. For mine, the pros outweigh the cons.

you could theoretically have home and away rounds looking like this:
Friday Night: 1 x 7:15pm games on the east coast. 1 x 9:30pm game from Perth (7:30pm Perth time).
Saturday: 2 x 2:10pm games, 1 x 4:35pm game, 2 x 7:15pm games.
Sunday: 1 x 2:10pm game, 1 x 4:35pm game.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Benny Gale said last week his preference is a team in Tassie so 19 teams, 18 games = 9 home, 9 away & reverse the fixture the following year, sounds fair
The problem is that means a big cut in media money and it would potentially lead to a gate sharing arrangement between all clubs due to the reduction in derbies and blockbusters, which would be a big disadvantage for us.

I can't see the season reducing or lengthening so I think we are stuck with it. One advantage of the final 8 is it smooths over the inequity of the draw somewhat, by virtue of so many teams making finals.

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
umm... such a way overreaction. Footy emulates other sports, whether you like it or not. In this instance, I am just comparing the running time to other sports. We live in a society where people are constantly busy, don't have enough time on their hands. We also live in a country where there is an insane amount of competition for the hearts and minds of sports lovers. the running time for an NRL game is so short that they are able to play 2 games after work on a Friday night. We could do this as well if our game was shortened to 2:10 as per my suggestion.

In addition, it also has a lot to do with boredom and improving the game. our club at on top of the tree, so we don't notice it so much... but the game is still trash to watch. I've been a long advocate of shortening the game and shortening the season because I wanna see the quality improve. and I have no doubt it will if this occurs. 18 games per season of 4 x 18 minute quarters plus time-on has a nice ring to it.
Don't really know why you bother with footy after that? Sounds like you're too busy, the game's too long and its crap to watch.

Not sure footy emulates other sports, generally when you are the No.1 sport the other sports are copying you.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We live in a society where people are constantly busy, don't have enough time on their hands.
Footy was better when it was played on Saturday afternoons and had its place in the routine of our lives. They've been pushing people around for years by scheduling games on various different days and timeslots, which those of us to whom footy is important must accommodate.

Not sure about others, but my life's already full of "Sunday arvo, you say? Sorry, Richmond's playing. Can you re-schedule?" Fortunately most who know me, understand.

They further mess with the paying spectator at their peril.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So we live in a society where people don't have enough time to watch a game of footy? What sort of society creates that situation? I know we're all busy, work is insane for most of us and includes unpaid overtime, but that's the problem.

We need more time for leisure (like watching footy), for being with our friends and family, etc.

What we don't need is to be changing things to cater for being squeezed by responsibilities like too many hours at work.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Tigers of Old

Twitter: @Tigers_of_Old
Jul 26, 2004
The new 6 6 6 that was supposed to make us struggle, worked so well for us. The addition of Lynch couldn't have come at a better time. :cupgold

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The problem is that means a big cut in media money and it would potentially lead to a gate sharing arrangement between all clubs due to the reduction in derbies and blockbusters, which would be a big disadvantage for us.

I can't see the season reducing or lengthening so I think we are stuck with it. One advantage of the final 8 is it smooths over the inequity of the draw somewhat, by virtue of so many teams making finals.
It's just a matter of time IMO. Integrity and quality over wrong headed revenue chasing. Won't be a big cut over the medium to long term, probably not even short term. The draw has become a joke.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004

Free giveaway for all 2020 games. Can be used as a distraction during quarters while waiting for the actual AFL entertainment to begin at quarter, half, and three quarter time.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
but can footy maintain the money they receive in TV rights anyway? just look at Foxtel... they have paid way overs for footy, NRL and cricket and are making huge losses. not sure if its sustainable. especially in a changing environment where streaming is fastly becoming popular. Super Rugby is struggling to get a new TV deal done. For all of its positive media, the NBL is paying for its games to be shown on TV.

there was an article back in august stating Gil met with TV executives in an attempt to get the current deal extended by 2 years. maybe he’s already seeing the writing on the wall?

Don't really know why you bother with footy after that? Sounds like you're too busy, the game's too long and its crap to watch.
Well i don't. I watch the richmond game. I watch friday games with the boys at the pub. and thats it. If I'm at home and a game is on, I'll have the TV on while I'm doing other things (or channel surfing). I always have my annual holiday during the winter months as well. I'll be overseas for the last 5 rounds next season.

Footy was better when it was played on Saturday afternoons and had its place in the routine of our lives. They've been pushing people around for years by scheduling games on various different days and timeslots, which those of us to whom footy is important must accommodate.
yep. don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a return to all games on saturday arvo... but I think they can find a much better balance between the needs of the fans, the needs of the players and the needs of commercial partners.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
but can footy maintain the money they receive in TV rights anyway? just look at Foxtel... they have paid way overs for footy, NRL and cricket and are making huge losses. not sure if its sustainable. especially in a changing environment where streaming is fastly becoming popular. Super Rugby is struggling to get a new TV deal done. For all of its positive media, the NBL is paying for its games to be shown on TV.

there was an article back in august stating Gil met with TV executives in an attempt to get the current deal extended by 2 years. maybe he’s already seeing the writing on the wall?
- Foxtel owns Kayo anyway, so they have the market cornered. If they're not turning a profit then it's up to them to change their model. Wouldn't be surprised to see the whole lot end up as pay-per-view.

- Or maybe he's trying to stave off the next AFLPA cash grab until he's out of the hot seat, given the threat of strikes etc last time?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
- Foxtel owns Kayo anyway, so they have the market cornered. If they're not turning a profit then it's up to them to change their model. Wouldn't be surprised to see the whole lot end up as pay-per-view.
I expect to see the Amazon/Google/facebook type US online media monsters to be involved in the next round of rights. Whether they deem it to be value for money or not remains to be seen.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I don't see test cricket being shortened. Why does football need to be shortened?

I you don't have enough time to sit through 4 v 20 minute quarters and a 20 minute half time break, go home at 3/4 time.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I don't see test cricket being shortened. Why does football need to be shortened?
Test cricket may not have been shortened but they introduced a shorter version in ODI, then a shorter version in T20 then a shorter version in The Hundred.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
not true. Kayo has grown incredibly quick. i think they are approaching 500,000 subscribers (definitely passed 400,00). Optus sport has 700,000.

I don't see test cricket being shortened.
are you serious? maybe you should check again :rotfl2

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
not true. Kayo has grown incredibly quick. i think they are approaching 500,000 subscribers (definitely passed 400,00). Optus sport has 700,000.
Does Optus have anything except soccer? If they have 700K on soccer alone, would expect Kayo to race past eventually.

Don't think they have necessarily been encouraging people to change from Foxtel to Kayo, rather they have been chasing new subscribers with Kayo.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Does Optus have anything except soccer? If they have 700K on soccer alone, would expect Kayo to race past eventually.
Only the world game as far as I know. and I agree Kayo will overtake them soon. although Optus Sport are rumuored to have made a bid for the Super Rugby. So perhaps they are branching out?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

are you serious? maybe you should check again :rotfl2
Test cricket is still a scheduled five day game, although they have discussed shortening it to four days.
The other games are all hit n giggle hybrid versions of cricket. But with cricket we're talking about versions that have been shortened from an original five days.
A game of T20 takes roughly the same amount of time as a game of footy. Is there really a point to shortening games of footy?