How many Grand Finals were you lucky enough to attend during this era? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How many Grand Finals were you lucky enough to attend during this era?

How many Grand Finals were you lucky enough to attend during this era?

Votes: 10 8.7%

Votes: 79 68.7%

Votes: 20 17.4%

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Attended 2017 and 19, had the chance to go last year but passed it over and feel some regret about it now.

Having said that, my favourite game in this run is without doubt the 2017 preliminary final.
2019 gf I was able to relax similar to 1980, 2020 I gave my members ticket away and got GA which was behind the goals above the cheer squad *smile* awesome

2019 we sat in between the goals and behind posts punt road end , atmosphere plus

Reactions: 1 user

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
Was able to get tickets to all 2017 finals, and went to the 2019 GF.

Geelong 2017 was electric, I knew we were on from the start (standing room for the first quarter but left shortly after due to young child not handling the standing). GWS 2017 was able to get the young child looked after and we had tix close-ish to the goals at Punt Road End, amazing. I thought we weren't really a great chance of beating Adelaide only due to prior pain against them, after Eddie got his goal I thought, no, not this time, the team seemed to think the same and after the first quarter, whammo. We had nose bleed seats but WE WERE THERE!!!

2019 GF we had standing room on the wing, I was still stressed during the third quarter until someone said to me to 'relax, pretty sure we are OK' and I enjoyed the rest of the game.

So very lucky to get to 2 in my lifetime of supporting the Tiges, unbelievable!! So very good.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
89 was a mighty fine grand final day n my first ever finals day.
U19 Tigers managed to hold on in a replay of a drawn prelim against Geelol then went on to win the Granny against #lolnorf a week later.
Ressies Granny the Lions managed to come back from about 30 points down against Geelol after a magnificent around the boundary chase down of a Geelol winger by big Ironmonger just on three qtr time.
Seniors Granny was an all out war between Geelol n Hawforn.

Poor old Geelol managed to lose all three games by a grand total of nine points n then at final siren time a couple of Hawforn supporters opened the esky n it was dig in for a feast of chilled prawns while we finished off our last beers n waited for the crowds to exit.

Managed to get to all our finals since Dimma took over coaching us, except for 2020 of course ( *smile* coroner hysteria ). After 37 years of frustrated n angry waiting I doubt anything could top our finals run of 2017. Twas *smile* magnificent.

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
1969: 1st semi v Geelong
1973: standing room, arrived at 8am proceeded to see 3 Tiger premierships in next 9 hours, u19s, Reserves and Seniors. 117,000 in attendance. Will never forget that day. (Our u17s Essex Heights also won the flag that year)
1974: standing room GF another flag v NMelb
1980: TV as I was away in Adelaide on footy trip
2017 - 2019 : every final in Melbourne
2020: all TV

• Love

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
A mixed bag of finals experiences here.

1995 SF—my greatest day at the footy until 2017. Second deck of the old northern stand on a magnificent day for football. An unlikely come-from-behind win against a genuine foe. A cavalcade of Tiger stars, headed by the great Matthew Knights in the best individual finals performance by a player I've seen live.

2001 SF—a dirty old day weather-wise and another genuine foe who we ground down with that fabulous defensive unit. Helped that poor old Kouta did a nasty knee injury. An uninspiring game but the result was all that mattered.

2013 EF—I was full of confidence but we were blindsided by a team that shouldn't have even been there. That half time lead should have been enough. We were on the rise so it didn't hurt as much as the next two elimination finals.

2015 EF—great seats on the first deck of the northern stand and some outstanding footy in the first half. We just seemed to run out of legs. How Cunnington didn't get pinged for HTB still bewilders me. Could have been the game right there!

2017 GF—scored standing room tickets behind the cheer squad at the Punt Road end. Was there with my ageing dad and called it five minutes into the third quarter ... the game was completely on our terms. Arrived at the ground genuinely thinking we were on a hiding to nothing. A dream come true.

2019 GF—seated this time, right behind the cheer squad so, again, at the Punt Road end. Clapped my hands so hard and so many times I broke the skin and was in rapturous pain for days afterwards! Snuck in a few bottles of home brew and cracked the first one in celebration at half time! Unlike others, I didn't ultimately enjoy this one as much as 2017 because I expected us to win. Still, an incredible day and such a powerful performance.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
We had nose bleed seats but WE WERE THERE!!!

Mate, you’d be hard pressed to beat the seats I had in 2017 for the nosebleed bit.

My seats were in the very last row of the top tier of the stand behind the Punt Road end. I was right behind the trajectory of the goal Jack Graham kicked after it was passed to him by Nank.

The seats were classified QF restricted viewing, but I wouldn’t have swapped them for anything.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
This thread is fantastic

a magnificent sharing of euphoria,

that only we understand.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Geelong 2017 was electric, I knew we were on from the start (standing room for the first quarter but left shortly after due to young child not handling the standing).

What a cracker of a game that was. I only saw it on TV but that was the game that showed we were contenders. When Geelong drew level in the third quarter you knew it was make or break, then we broke them. So many Richmond teams from the previous few decades would have crumbled then, the 2017 team did the opposite.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
7 people have been to all 3. 20 years down the track people will be looking on at that as very rare air. congrats to you.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Live outside Vic, but decided to maintain platinum AFL membership instead of going social or country or whatever that option is. I have paid this $$ for years and years just hoping that it would pay off somewhere somehow...

So I have seen 80, 17, 19 and 20 (bought a ticket to the Gabba easily as I am a non-Vic resident). Also attended all finals in 17, 18 and 19 as well as those *smile* elims...

17 still the best but the experience of sitting 25 metres from the goal of the century is also right up there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Judge Smailes

The world needs ditch diggers too!
Dec 17, 2003
Adelaide
I'm especially curious to see how many were lucky enough to get to all 3.

I'm also curious to see how many of the 12 finals you have attended.

I went to the 2017 and 2019 Grand Finals and 8 finals (all of the finals except the 4 in 2020).
Very lucky to be able to attend all three. Live in Adelaide and was able to do a last minute Larry trip to Brissy when flight prices dropped after we beat Port. So glad I did. In regard to the finals, I travelled for Qualifying Final in 2017, Grand Final 2017, Prelim and Grand Final in 2019, Prelim at home (Adel) plus Grand Final (Gabba) 2020. Go Tiges!

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
- Carlton :(

- Port at Port :mad: - Now referred to as the Father's Day Massacre

- Norf :(

- Qual Final v Geelong - Was AMAZING!!! Hoodoo Broken :D
- Prelim - Missed due to local footy GF, local team hasn't won since 1958, they lost :(
- GF - Top Tier Punt Rd End - A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! :p

- QF v Hawks - Expected to win, did
- Prelim v Pies - Expected to win..... F@RK! :mad:

- Prelim v Geelong - Nervous at HT, the rest is history!! :D
- GF - Sitting AFL Members wing, front row. Great day, not as good as 2017, but still a great day

Missed all finals, but watched on TV!!!

2017 QF and GF are the standouts!!!!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Shouldnt this thread be titled "How many Grand Finals have you been lucky enough to attend so far during this era?"

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
7 people have been to all 3. 20 years down the track people will be looking on at that as very rare air. congrats to you.

Congrats doesn't seem right.

I accept the best wishes gracefully, but Lucky Bastards seems more apt

2020 was like winning tattslotto

blind luck.

but yeah, we'll take it.

special shout out to @spook. Richmond Man. A kind of cyber Shaun Grigg

He turned his deprivation into someone deserving's lifetime joy at the 2020 GF.

what a community PRE is.

Last edited:

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
2017 - PF & GF
2018 - nil
2019 - QF
2020 - QF, SF & GF

Had 2 tickets to the 2019 GF on ticketek, with mouse hovering on purchase. However it was my parents 50th wedding anniversary that weekend, and they and the rest of the family had all come up to Qld for a week of celebrations. My conscience wouldn't allow me to complete the transaction. Instead spent the day at a Coolum resort, funnily enough with heaps of other Tiger fans all proudly wearing the colours.

To say I was paid back in spades by the events of 2020 is a great understatement.

Heady times.

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
19 GF for me.

Had tickets for the 20 (MRC).

I'm going to count myself as lucky, but that flips sometimes.

I've also been to basically every home game since I can remember.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I went in 2019 as one of our regular family group that had 8 tickets together in Row C behind the PRE goal
In 2017 we only had 6 tickets between us that year so I stepped aside and Mrs T and T Jnr went along with the rest of the crew

But in the earlier era - I’d been in 1974 for the win and 1982 for the loss

So it‘s all worked out rather nicely actually