Hugh Greenwood | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hugh Greenwood

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I am not sure I understand all the media (Garry Lyon in particular) bagging the Suns over this.

I feel pretty certain that they are trying to offload salary to make a concerted effort to hold their young guns like King, Rankine, Lukosius, and Rowell.

That is their future, not Greenwood. I get that Greenwood was a key player for them, especially with a young list, but it is a no brainer that they would do everything to hang on to their young star players.

They tried to move on a couple of high priced players in the draft period and that didn't work. People have queried why they didn't cut guys like Holman, Fiorini or Sexton. But the first two of these guys are on front loaded contracts, so the saving was minimal. Not sure about Sexton.

Greenwood become the obvious way to gain cap space. Larger salary, player who other clubs would be interested in, and a player who if delisted would create some good cap space.

Despite GC playing dumb, with Wayne Campbell saying they would do things differently if they had their time again, I don't believe it. They knew what they were doing.

If they didn't the AFL is in a world of pain with this 'experiment'.

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'm in agreement.

I think the Suns are tapped out salary wise, and need to make sure the can keep King etc. They could have easily put three players with checkered performance histories or injury problems on the list. I don't think this was incompetence. Craig Cameron, Mark Evans, even Campbell. Too experienced to make a rookie mistake .
They dropped bait in the water, someone took it. Long game being played. Rumours around them wanting Callahan too. I smell rats.

Reactions: 1 users

Pauly1

Tiger Cub
Jun 24, 2019
I'm in agreement.

I think the Suns are tapped out salary wise, and need to make sure the can keep King etc. They could have easily put three players with checkered performance histories or injury problems on the list. I don't think this was incompetence. Craig Cameron, Mark Evans, even Campbell. Too experienced to make a rookie mistake .
They dropped bait in the water, someone took it. Long game being played. Rumours around them wanting Callahan too. I smell rats.
Now just signed up touk miller 5 years definitely playing the long game

Reactions: 3 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
$10,000 a week for a bloke I didn't notice on the ground in 2017 GF, wish my boss was as generous as North.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Isn’t the reality that any player delisted with a promise to be redrafted/rookied is in the same position Greenwood was? That would include Cumberland and Nyuon for us. The only difference is that Greenwood was a senior player.

If a club came along now and offered Noah Cumberland a 3 year deal my understanding is that we would be powerless to stop it because we have delisted him.

Reactions: 1 user

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
The snu’s say

"Our preference would be that Hugh Greenwood played with us in 2022. It's a slight deviation from that."

*smile* morons

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Isn’t the reality that any player delisted with a promise to be redrafted/rookied is in the same position Greenwood was? That would include Cumberland and Nyuon for us. The only difference is that Greenwood was a senior player.

If a club came along now and offered Noah Cumberland a 3 year deal my understanding is that we would be powerless to stop it because we have delisted him.

This is true but the player would need to go on to the club's senior list. For two blokes that haven't played at the top level, that could be a risk especially with a meaningful contract that would be needed in order for them to jump at it.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
This is true but the player would need to go on to the club's senior list. For two blokes that haven't played at the top level, that could be a risk especially with a meaningful contract that would be needed in order for them to jump at it.
Cumberland was on our main list. Its not far fetched to suggest he could still be on it.
Would a club at the bottom of the ladder have the list space to pick someone like Cumberland or Nyuon? You bet

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I'm in agreement.

Can't they pick Callaghan anyway?
Its pick 3.
Don't see how Greenwood is any way connected

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Can't they pick Callaghan anyway?
Its pick 3.
Don't see how Greenwood is any way connected
You can't play them all.
Either in the seniors or reserves. You need to have space to play them and develop them.
Greenwood goes, the midfield shuffle can start

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
You can't play them all.
Either in the seniors or reserves. You need to have space to play them and develop them.
Greenwood goes, the midfield shuffle can start
They want to pick Callaghan they will pick Callaghan. Not for round 1 but for 2025 when Greenwood is long gone.

Do you think they shunt out a player they brought in to protect their youngsters so they can play another youngster?
Nah, he was the oldest one that GC thought would be untouchable.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I am not sure I understand all the media (Garry Lyon in particular) bagging the Suns over this.

I feel pretty certain that they are trying to offload salary to make a concerted effort to hold their young guns like King, Rankine, Lukosius, and Rowell.

That is their future, not Greenwood. I get that Greenwood was a key player for them, especially with a young list, but it is a no brainer that they would do everything to hang on to their young star players.

They tried to move on a couple of high priced players in the draft period and that didn't work. People have queried why they didn't cut guys like Holman, Fiorini or Sexton. But the first two of these guys are on front loaded contracts, so the saving was minimal. Not sure about Sexton.

Greenwood become the obvious way to gain cap space. Larger salary, player who other clubs would be interested in, and a player who if delisted would create some good cap space.

Despite GC playing dumb, with Wayne Campbell saying they would do things differently if they had their time again, I don't believe it. They knew what they were doing.

If they didn't the AFL is in a world of pain with this 'experiment'.
I agree , I think the GC arent quite as silly as they look , they have looming tpp issues , this was a subtle means of dealing with it , norf took the bait , everyone’s a winner

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
They want to pick Callaghan they will pick Callaghan. Not for round 1 but for 2025 when Greenwood is long gone.

Do you think they shunt out a player they brought in to protect their youngsters so they can play another youngster?
Nah, he was the oldest one that GC thought would be untouchable.
I doubt they select Callaghan, more like a tall in Mac or gibicus

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I doubt they select Callaghan, more like a tall in Mac or gibicus
That's not the point.
It was raised that Suns were interested in Callaghan so wanted to move Greenwood out. And that somehow gives them more space than if they wanted to pick Mac or Gibby

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
North Melbourne are debt free after 35 years.
Now its time for them to look after themselves. No more hand outs