If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now!

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
New media rights deal should see a jump in salary cap in 2025. That will solve any future salary cap squeeze

Last time there was a jump in the salary cap we were able to offer Dusty his huge contract and keep all the future multiple premiership starts

Our recruiters have lucked in again....or are they actually planning long term. I am going with the latter based on mounting evidence
The latter for sure.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Considering both Taranto & Hopper were playing at the MCG on Grand Final day 2019 when Richmond won the flag
could we now consider them as part of that team :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He will send in his dogs, make an exception to any external deals our players have, reduce our TPP for some reason and look for any excuse to hamper us. AFL will be furious if we pull this off. They can gagf
But, but, but. We're only doing the AFL a massive favour.
Could you imagine the meedjia reporting n scandal if it was found that the AFL's golden child club was found to be rorting the fairness n balance of the entire competition by being not simply beer money, but $1.5 million over the salary cap???
A cheating scandal of unheard of proportions ( Essendrugs n Bloosers scandals pale into insignificance ). No way Gilligan n the honcho's at HQ could be seen to have their plastic manufactured Gee Whizz cheating to blot their career copy books.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Don't bet on us winning next years grand final we can have the best team and best tactics but if these finals are anything to go by it seems the team that the umpires like tend to win the games.

And they don't like Richmond.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Don't bet on us winning next years grand final we can have the best team and best tactics but if these finals are anything to go by it seems the team that the umpires like tend to win the games.

And they don't like Richmond.
We need to play well! not get ahead of ourselves, if certain players do, drop them. They have to focus and play the team game, then we may have a chance next year, the years after.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
But, but, but. We're only doing the AFL a massive favour.
Could you imagine the meedjia reporting n scandal if it was found that the AFL's golden child club was found to be rorting the fairness n balance of the entire competition by being not simply beer money, but $1.5 million over the salary cap???
A cheating scandal of unheard of proportions ( Essendrugs n Bloosers scandals pale into insignificance ). No way Gilligan n the honcho's at HQ could be seen to have their plastic manufactured Gee Whizz cheating to blot their career copy books.

Nah, if that did happen the AFL would just say its all good, nothing to see here, and the AFL media would just stop talking about it.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
taranto and hopper have had only one coach their entire careers - leon cameron.

i don't mind carmeron, I'm sure he's a quality person, but he is an uninspiring coach.

makes me wonder what dimma can unlock in these guys, both of them top ten draft picks.

Reactions: 8 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

i don't mind carmeron, I'm sure he's a quality person, but he is an uninspiring coach.

makes me wonder what dimma can unlock in these guys, both of them top ten draft picks.
And McVeigh?

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne

Great call. Leon came across as quite terrible in that documentary last year.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Just how far can the additions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper take Richmond?

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
September 2022

Next season Jack Riewoldt will play at Richmond on a contract as much as $175,000 less than former Tiger Callum Coleman-Jones, who landed at Arden St this year.

For comparison, Riewoldt has three flags, three Coleman Medals, 11 Richmond goalkicking trophies and 755 goals to Coleman-Jones’ 19 games and 16 goals.

As Riewoldt said on Friday, the chase for the flag is one of the primary reasons he is playing on, having confided to good mate Richie Porte on a charity bike ride over summer this would be his last year.

But it is another example of the chasm between the AFL’s haves and have nots, with Riewoldt prepared to play for $300,000 and the Tigers using the 2022 second-round pick they secured for Coleman-Jones to help nab GWS mids Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

The Tigers already look top-four bound next year, and what is to say in 2025, when Dustin Martin’s $1.3 million falls off their books, they won’t go out and find another Tom Lynch-style free agent to succeed him.

So Richmond are the big winners already from the trade period.

And yet surely by the time the Roos are handed a suite of picks from their special assistance request, the AFL will have recognised the extraordinary equalisation challenge the league is facing.

Whether it is a priority selection before the No.1 overall draft selection or a suite of early mid-first-round or end-of-first-round picks, the league will be fully aware of the dangers of doing too little.

The draft and salary cap are supposed to create a boom-bust cycle, but on current draft position the Roos will take picks one and 55 to the draft after a two-win year and Richmond will add Hopper and Taranto and also try to draft a developing young tall.

The AFL will have to think seriously about the Roos securing a pre-draft priority pick to secure the best two kids in the land if they actually want them to improve quickly enough to be competitive as the vast TV rights deal kicks in for 2025.

After all, the AFL is nothing if it is not a money-making organisation and it will be desperate for nine competitive games in coming years before Tasmania enters the competition as early as 2026.

Not only are Gold Coast and GWS gutted by established clubs on a yearly basis —Hopper and Taranto join Suns star Izak Rankine in moving back to traditional teams — the old national draft mechanism just doesn’t work like it used to.

Richmond win the 2017 flag and 12 months later add Gold Coast free agent Lynch.

Then they prey on the Giants salary cap weakness — created by the lack of COLA and huge rival offers for established stars — to drag out Taranto and Hopper.

Hopper wants to come to the bright lights of Richmond and who could blame him after he played in front of crowds of 9010, 7772 and 7338 in three of his last five GWS games.

Some of the Giants’ salary cap issues are self-inflicted, but as the AFL considers North Melbourne’s priority pick submission in Grand Final week Richmond’s trade heist will surely weigh heavily on the minds of the AFL.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/2cbcf5e26fce931a5bab363774a3dd9f

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
*smile* #lolnorf. Scunge around bringing in champion players like Stephenson, Pittard, Polec, Hall, Cujo, Bosenboogaloo etc. Sack club champions. Chop n change coaches n admin as if they're changing dirty undies. Get massive equalisation payments from AFLHQ to keep them financially relevant and sure enough crawl grovelling n crying straight to Gilligan n the boys to give them more handouts to save them from their own incompetence n irrelevance for another couple of years. Bloody self inflicted *smile*, clean up your own mess n stop scavenging for bonuses that do nothing more than make it even more difficult for everyone else to get the opportunity to achieve.

Reactions: 2 users

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
We can play two of the remaining 6 teams twice
You are right Quickdraw - its up to 2 of top six and bottom six and up to three of middle six. Prefer we get interstate teams twice - usually assures a 1/1 split

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Geelong has been the butt of a lot of ridicule on PRE over the years. They have an old list and keep topping up and have been unable to win a flag.

But this year is different. Not only will they probably win the flag, but they actually have some youth coming through that seems decent and is likely to keep them around the mark for a while yet. Then add Cameron to the mix who has become an elite player. You can’t win a flag without an elite player.

Now look at Richmond. We’ve had 6 retirees in 2 years. With 2 more coming next year. We have gone to the draft while still in the window and brought in some really good kids. Now its time to go to the trade table and fill in the remaining holes on our list. We also have an elite player coming through in Shai Bolton who is Dusty’s heir apparent.

We don’t need to bottom out to rebuild. If Dusty has a full preseason and we fix our soft tissue problems, we will be in it up to our necks in 2023. On top of that, this team has the potential to turn our era from one of the best in the 21st century, to one of the best in the history of the game.

We just need to get this deal done. I don''t wanna give away all 4 of those picks, but if thats what it takes, so be it.
Cats gave up for Cameron.(13/15/20)
At most we're giving up is (12/19 F1) for 2 highly rated mids.
No one should have any issue on what we're giving up.Its a steal really.

Reactions: 2 users

tigre garçon

Yes, 2017, 2019 and 2020... were very good years!
Apr 22, 2004
I'm one that never counts my chickens before they hatch... Even with the hopeful addition of Taranto and Hopper to (hopefully) remedy our midfield clearance woes, there are a number of teams that have improved markedly in many facets of the game throughout 2022, so the path to the 2023 GF will still be a long and challenging one!

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
for us this year was the year of rubbish losses. GC,North etc and to top it off the final against Brisbane which we also let go.So if we can include a couple of players that can help stem the tide in the final minutes of a game lets go for it.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Moggies also got back a couple of second round picks to go with plastic Jezza.

Pretty sure there's nothing but speculation as to what we might be giving up to get Tarantino n Grasshopper, we could yet be horrified at what Gee Whizz demand.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014

Pretty sure there's nothing but speculation as to what we might be giving up to get Tarantino n Grasshopper, we could yet be horrified at what Gee Whizz demand.
They can demand what they like.
But they're in no position to dictate to what we should give up.
Our offer will be.
Pick 12 & 19 for Taranto
F1 for Hopper
Thats fair an reasonable in my book.
If they want Soldo then pick 39 should be suffient,

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Cats gave up 13/15/20 plus 2021 R4 (app p71) points 3265
Got Cameron and GWS p27 and ESS p24. Points 1488

Going by AFL points 3265-1488 = 1777 = p6 ish not quite p5.

Just a comparison.
Depends on what GWS demand and what we are prepared to give. Media can claim whatever they like, but as usual it’s up to the 2 clubs to finalise.

Our picks 12 and 19 = 2216 points = p3
Future 1st(?) bottom end of 1st round. Worst case scenario
ie p16 + p30 = 1067 + 629 =1696 = p7 (not quite p6)

No doubt our picks will drop a couple of places due to f/s bids etc
Note: This gives a points only reference to the worth of the picks. How GWS value them is another matter