If you think the Tigers or Dees are close to a flag, you're dreaming-Herald Sun | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If you think the Tigers or Dees are close to a flag, you're dreaming-Herald Sun

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If you think the Tigers or Dees are close to a flag, you're dreaming
Kevin Sheedy
Sunday Herald Sun
April 18, 2010

RICHMOND and Melbourne have been so poor we'll start talking about the Melbourne Tigers soon.

That's the sad reality of where these clubs are at. It would mean one less team in the competition and opens the door for a Tasmanian side to come in.

This situation is an indictment on recruiting, personnel and direction.

For both clubs.

The message now has to be - if you don't get it right in the next two to five years you will be under severe pressure.

Neither of them have excited fans and neither has a player who we widely tout as the next Ablett, Hird or Carey.

The word premiership cannot even be mentioned. They are kidding themselves if they are even thinking about it.

So let's look at Richmond first. I've heard so many noises about five-year plans that I'm starting to wonder where they begin and finish. They need to learn what winning means and they need to think about recruiting and development.

Invest in this department like never before because you just can't afford to keep getting it wrong.

Poor decisions have blighted the club but I don't believe Ben Cousins was one of those. He can still lead and help the younger players. And he is better than half the players on the list anyway.

Too many players get easy games and even though they're young it still needs to be earned.

That brings me to Melbourne. It is good to see Tom Scully and Jack Trengove stepping straight into the big time.

I spoke to Melbourne about coaching when I finished up at Essendon because I thought it was an opportunity to really grasp.

Dean Bailey won the job on merit and he's building a club. That's more important than winning a premiership.

It's exactly what Hawthorn did after averting a merger. Melbourne is still struggling to get back on its feet, but it has been in a better position than Richmond for quite some time. That's why the Tigers went after Craig Cameron who was recruiting manager at Melbourne.

The thing I can't understand is how both clubs have consistently picked up midfielders. In my mind you err on the side of height.

And I think Jack Watts will be a terrific player for the Demons, but I wouldn't have looked past Nic Naitanui. He is a guy who hits the ball and runs after it like it's on a string. A guy who brings people through the gates. A guy Melbourne will regret not taking.

Then there's Lance "Buddy" Franklin. The Tigers chose Richard Tambling and he's a fantastic person who perhaps has suffered from not being in a good side. But how you could overlook a prodigious talent like Franklin still bewilders me.

And now the landscape is changing so the access to early draft picks will dry up.

Melbourne has had the lion's share of early picks in the past three drafts and the jury is out.

These two teams are four yards apart in their home grounds but are so closely aligned in regard to their dire predicaments.

Both of these proud clubs should not be in the unenviable position they find themselves in today. It is sad how they haven't adapted since we moved from the VFL to the AFL.

Melbourne has at least got to a Grand Final in the past decade but poor decisions have cost the club a decade. Richmond has been set back even longer.

RICHMOND'S FAB FIVE

BRETT DELEDIO
Has won two best and fairests in a bad side. An obvious shining light.

TRENT COTCHIN
Needs to play more footy.

JACK RIEWOLDT
Enthusiastic forward but needs to find consistency.

NATHAN FOLEY
Forgotten midfielder who adds a touch of class.

KELVIN MOORE
A damn good, honest player. Hopefully Alex Rance stands up alongside him.

MELBOURNE'S FAB FIVE

CALE MORTON
A classy user of the ball who has been sorely missed.

JACK GRIMES
A real leader in the back half.

TOM SCULLY
Top draft pick who looks the goods.

JACK TRENGOVE
Shows poise beyond his years already.

JAMES FRAWLEY
Only query is his disposal, but he's what you call a solid choice.

Kevin Sheedy believes Trent Cotchin should be Richmond's next captain. Source: HWT Image Library

Edit: Forgot the link

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/if-you-think-the-tigers-or-dees-are-close-to-a-flag-youre-dreaming/story-e6frf9ox-1225855008213

Fair old slap from Sheeds, although the article doesn't contain much of substance that hasn't been said before (except perhaps the inclusion of Moore in our 'fab five'). Seems his unsuccessful tilt at the coaching job has soured him towards the club.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
If there was any more evidence required to show how out of touch Sheedy is, this is it.

Kelvin Moore in our 'fab five'?

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Kevin Sheedy is as pathetic as the other Kevin that was once a beloved person at the club. To even talk about merging shows he has no affection for this club and to consider some people wanted him as our coach.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Twelve months ago he was telling the world we were ready to sneak under the radar and pinch the 09 premiership now all of a sudden we are merger bait.
Everything he has said about our recruitment/ list management while accurate has been debated by us for bloody years and commented on by every other media whizz bang previously.
Reckon Sheeds is just waffling on for the sake of making a noise and hopefully being noticed, not enough happening at Go West Sheeds to keep him busy without actually having a team to play with.

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
Re: If you think the Tigers or Dees are close to a flag, you're dreaming-Herald

Bitter much?

forgottenman41

Tiger Rookie
Jun 2, 2008
maybe kevin can take kel moore off our hands when west sydney start drafting players. a high first round pick should be ok. :hihi

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Sheeds for putting the idea out there that if the Tigers fold Tassi will get a team, that will really help selling membership in Tassi in future.  I must have missed the flood of brightsiders on PRE around claiming that the Tigers are closea flag that would justify the headline.

Btw Sheeds if you are reading- I was planning to buy a GWS membership as my second team as I live in NSW/ACT, but I won't after reading this you disloyal flog.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Wow - what a backhander. Let's have a look at the hypocrisy in this little piece ...
* Sheedy misses the Melbourne job. He didn't "discuss" it with them - he applied and was interviewed. He lost. Now Bailey seems to be getting somewhere, Sheeds thinks it's timely to suggest that they merge and relocate to Tasmania.
* Sheedy is effectively an opposition coach now. Totally inappropriate for him to write this about other clubs. Can you imagine Malthouse or any other coach writing such spontanesously stupid drivel?
* Sheedy tried to usurp a well publicised process last year to get the Richmond coaching job. When the club wouldn't have any of it, he attacked our president he sent his little muppet Bartlett (much like Kermit used to get Scooter to do his lackey work on The Muppets) to shout about our stupidity from the rooftops.
* Not much more than 12 months ago Sheedy announces us as a Premiership smokey, but now we are apparently paying for past and, apparently present, attrocious recruiting and development. Umm, 15 seconds of research will tell you this has and is being seriously addressed now.

Makes me wonder if Kermit has Scooter doing his ghostwriting these days??

But for all the frivolity (and let's face it - it's hard to take this article seriously), I'm really disappointed with this. Like Col I was going to buy a GWS membership to support Sheeds and my footy code. Now he can jam it where the Greater Western Sun doesn't shine. Hope he falls flat on his hypocritical face.

Opulentus Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Dec 8, 2007
Wodonga

Scully and Trengove is the Demons top five. No mention of Aaron Davey, Bruce, McDonald. If Martin can't sneak into our top five, then it would stand to reason that Scully and Tregove shouldn't either, or is Sheedy suggsting we have a better list.

stripes17

Tiger Superstar
Mar 9, 2004
Victoria

Opulentus Tigris said:
Scully and Trengove is the Demons top five. No mention of Aaron Davey, Bruce, McDonald. If Martin can't sneak into our top five, then it would stand to reason that Scully and Tregove shouldn't either, or is Sheedy suggsting we have a better list.
Agree. Has he forgotten about Martin.

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Then there's Lance "Buddy" Franklin. The Tigers chose Richard Tambling and he's a fantastic person who perhaps has suffered from not being in a good side. But how you could overlook a prodigious talent like Franklin still bewilders me.
I think that topic has been done to death Kevin. Easy with hindsight!! Why the Bombers chose Scott Gumbleton over Joel Selwood still bewilders me!! SEE ;D

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Smacks of a man overlooked for both the Melbourne and Richmond coaching jobs. Ironic that the only coaching job he could find is via the AFL at GWS which imo is the biggest waste of AFL funds ever. If the AFL wanted to spend that type of money, they should have started a team in Tasmania instead. A tems in Western Sydney will never, ever be successful especially off field. It will never garner any interest. Sydney people barely support League let alone AFL.

To then suggest that RFC should merge after his career with us is pathetic in the extreme. Bye bye Kevin - don't ever come back - you sad old man.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

stripes17 said:
Agree. Has he forgotten about Martin.
His also forgotten his brain

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It should be noted that the senile old fool Sheedy didn't nominate probably our worst list clogger in Hislop. Hmmm, probably something to do with the fact that he drafted him at Essendon with a top 20 or thereabouts pick!!!

Sheedy is horrendously biased and IMO has little football credibility left. He left the Essendon list in a horrible mess and then had a massive sook when he was overlooked for both the Melbourne and Richmond jobs. This is the same moron who claimed last year that the Tigers could win a flag and one year later he's saying they won't win one for 100 years and will more than likely have to merge :eek:

What a wanker. I'm so glad we didn't even give him a look in as coach. It would have looked like a recycled footballer factory with all the retread duds he would have given up our draft picks for.

I hope GWS is the biggest failure ever seen in the history of the AFL and I hope he goes down in flames with it.

Sheedy? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
Ridley said:
I hope GWS is the biggest failure ever seen in the history of the AFL and I hope he goes down in flames with it.

Sheedy? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!
They'll take longer than Freo to succeed but I wouldn't be surprised if Adolf spoon feeds them.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
TigerForce said:
They'll take longer than Freo to succeed but I wouldn't be surprised if Adolf spoon feeds them.
Of course he will. It's his grand plan and he will trample anyone who gets in his way in true dictator fashion. He'll give them the first 3 picks every year if he has to.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Freezer said:
If there was any more evidence required to show how out of touch Sheedy is, this is it.

Kelvin Moore in our 'fab five'?
The part that has convinced me he is on Mars is part of the article that actually isn't online but is the the paper version. His next captain for melbourne is Tom Scully. :eek: .They have a captain who is one of the oldest players in the league and, no offence to McDonald, but you would think this year would be his last. Sheeds wants to put a 19yo second year player in that position? ::)