If you think the Tigers or Dees are close to a flag, you're dreaming-Herald Sun | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If you think the Tigers or Dees are close to a flag, you're dreaming-Herald Sun

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
What a laughter. Just like the Bummers......a laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Why wouldn't you try and emulate what Richmond have done? Seems logical.

They are going to have trouble though, I'm not convinced they have the potential supporter base we do. They do have a successful history back in the 1950s and early 60s, but it is damned hard to reclaim that, took us a long time. Also, they are talking 4 years, do they not understand how long it takes to turn culture around? They have to have the patience to try things, fail, learn and try different things.

Possibly the hardest lesson is to learn to concentrate on the process and culture not the outcome (but not ignore the outcome, since it really is very important!).

Maybe it will work, maybe not, at least they are trying, aiming to get out of many years of mediocrity.

DS

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
Quite funny seeing these old theads pop up. First thought is, why has this been brought up again, second is - geeze I hope I didn't post.

• Haha

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Why wouldn't you try and emulate what Richmond have done? Seems logical.

They are going to have trouble though, I'm not convinced they have the potential supporter base we do. They do have a successful history back in the 1950s and early 60s, but it is damned hard to reclaim that, took us a long time. Also, they are talking 4 years, do they not understand how long it takes to turn culture around? They have to have the patience to try things, fail, learn and try different things.

Possibly the hardest lesson is to learn to concentrate on the process and culture not the outcome (but not ignore the outcome, since it really is very important!).

Maybe it will work, maybe not, at least they are trying, aiming to get out of many years of mediocrity.

DS
Quite simply it depends on the quality of their plan, the patience and determination to stick to it and having the best available people in the key positions to make it happen. We did in 2010 when Benny formulated his vision but do the Demons have all that in place now?

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Quite simply it depends on the quality of their plan, the patience and determination to stick to it and having the best available people in the key positions to make it happen. We did in 2010 when Benny formulated his vision but do the Demons have all that in place now?
Yep, very questionable whether they have the people to do it. Benny go s*** for his plan and it was a 10 year plan. Very ambitious but at least there was some recognition of how long this can take. We'll see if Melbourne can pull this off. For all the crap that was going on at Richmond I felt a lot better when we actually let Geishen and Wallace run their full contracts (hope I got that right, memory is not always the best) rather than sacking them part way through, there was a realisation that 2 years as coach was too short to decide and that, even though both were not re-appointed, they were given the full 5 years.

DS

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Surely the Melbourne Bombers can't be far away, opening the door for a Tassie team....

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yep, very questionable whether they have the people to do it. Benny go s*** for his plan and it was a 10 year plan. Very ambitious but at least there was some recognition of how long this can take. We'll see if Melbourne can pull this off. For all the crap that was going on at Richmond I felt a lot better when we actually let Geishen and Wallace run their full contracts (hope I got that right, memory is not always the best) rather than sacking them part way through, there was a realisation that 2 years as coach was too short to decide and that, even though both were not re-appointed, they were given the full 5 years.

DS
Reckon that mighta been Spud n Plough, but the thought process of giving the coach time and support to implement and build is spot on. Seems like a lot of clubs have learned that chopping n changing every couple of years expecting miracle improvements is farcicle.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Reckon that mighta been Spud n Plough, but the thought process of giving the coach time and support to implement and build is spot on. Seems like a lot of clubs have learned that chopping n changing every couple of years expecting miracle improvements is farcicle.
Aah I reckon you are correct, I was sitting there trying to rack my brains about which coaches weren't sacked early.

We certainly didn't chop and change at the end of 2016 and a very wise decision it was but at the time it did look iffy.

DS

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Except Cartoon of course.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Melbourne's list is in decent shape, but the club's history is proving a difficult obstacle. No reason why they shouldn't bounce back into contention this season.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
To be fair, when he said we were no where near a flag, it was 2010.

7 years and one and a half five year plans away from our first flag in 37 years. 10 years later and Melbourne don't look any closer.

Yeah there were some poor predictions in the body of the article.

But we had prescient posters on here calling for a full rebuild in early 2017.

And some saying Collingwood had gone past us after 2018. I know, right?

Opinion pieces are usually more bias than anything else.

aoc1974

Tiger Superstar
Mar 1, 2015

7 years and one and a half five year plans away from our first flag in 37 years. 10 years later and Melbourne don't look any closer.

My opinion is it was written by a bitter old sook who'd been told not to bother applying for the job and was giving us a clip.
Said it plenty of times before..... Sheedy has admitted he used us to get his contracts renewed even when we hadn't pursued him. Some may call it smart business...... I think as the club that gave him his start we deserved better than that.
From that point on, zero respect for the bloke!

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

The bit suggesting Richmond should be forced to merge to make way for a Tasmanian team was unbecoming of a club great.

Pretty sure he addressed the players the previous year and told them there was no reason they couldn't win the flag.

Reactions: 1 users