IGNORE FUNCTION POLL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

IGNORE FUNCTION POLL

Should PRE retain the 2-Way or revert to the old 1-Way Ignore function?

• Total voters

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
We have been discussing the Ignore Function and how the current 2-Way Ignore function is causing conversations hard to follow.

Whilst the function has allowed the forum to be quieter, we can see how threads have become disjointed, and members cannot see threads started by ignored members.

I have attempted to update the function, but this has not added any new features to help the forum. In my opinion, it is a failing of the software developer not to improve this feature, and we have to wait for any new versions as they are released (which is no guarantee it will be fixed with a new version).

I have decided to remove the 2-way function and revert to the 1-way ignore, but to confirm my decision, I will put it to a vote.

I make a clear note here that if the decision to go to a 1-way ignore, the mods and I will adhere to the site rules and will not be swayed by any decision we make on a report. I urge you all to re-familiarise yourselves with the rules. I don't want the forum to be hard work; I have children of my own, which are hard work and don't need more :)

If you feel like providing further input, I most welcome it.

T.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I don't bother using this. Just ignore posts or threads naturally.

Can I suggest a 'delete' post function sometime Mr T? I and others post in the wrong thread some times and you can't delete it.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
How exactly does the 2 way ignore function work? Does it mean if I ignore someone they can't see my posts?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I generally don't Ignore posters but I know some posters have ignored me. It does make some threads a little hard to follow as you don't see some posts that others are replying to. I assume the 1-way ignore allows me to see their posts but they can't see mine?

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
How exactly does the 2 way ignore function work? Does it mean if I ignore someone they can't see my posts?
If you enable 2-way, you can stop people you ignore seeing your posts. It's an option in your account setting that you can enable if you want too.

2 Way ignore for me has always seemed against the spirit of what a public forum like PRE is.

Ignore is fine, if you choose to put someone on Ignore, you choose not to see their posts. The only person impacted is you.

With 2 Way ignore, you can impose your will on anyone you choose in the forum. While it may seem that they just don't see your posts, but that's also if your posts are quoted by a 3rd person, the person on 2 Way doesn't see the quoted portion. It can lead to threads being disjointed and difficult to read, follow and contribute to, with the impacted person, the one being put on 2 Way ignore, having no say or control over it.

Reactions: 4 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
I don't bother using this. Just ignore posts or threads naturally.

Can I suggest a 'delete' post function sometime Mr T? I and others post in the wrong thread some times and you can't delete it.
We may just keep this to a mod and admin function at this stage.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
As a big ignorer and ignoree I wish I'd been around for this.

With one exception, I only ignore people who don't have manners. People who can't be civil when they disagree.

I've only ever ignored one person because their understanding of the game became so frustrating I couldn't take trying to explain things to them any longer, but quite a few people ignore me because they don't like my opinions, which is fine.

Personally I don't find ignoring or being ignored makes the forum too difficult to use. There's some gaps occasionally but not too big an issue.

I've tried one way ignoring before and the issue I find is it allows the people without manners to continue to pot you, which is then often quoted by other posters and it is very hard not to respond.

I know full well how hard it is to be a mod and how much whinging the same people with no manners tend to do so I understand the decision and no hard feelings, but for me, it means I will no longer use the forum.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I've only ever ignored one person because their understanding of the game became so frustrating I couldn't take trying to explain things to them any longer

I was wondering why TBR never responded to my thoughtful posts anymore!

In all seriousness I am not a big user of the function, and can’t say I have seen it impact the flow of discussion on the site.

Think the one way option is better.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I was wondering why TBR never responded to my thoughtful posts anymore!

In all seriousness I am not a big user of the function, and can’t say I have seen it impact the flow of discussion on the site.

Think the one way option is better.

Certainly not intentional, Streak!

I just pick and choose my threads carefully now, a bit of non footy chat and read only for the rest.