I'm bored, what games should I watch? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I'm bored, what games should I watch?

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
You would have gotten sick of winning flags through the 80s and 90s Ossie.

Better to build some anticipation for 37 years.
Haha, yes we might have taken winning flags for granted! I remember a guy from the Cheer Squad in the early 80's wearing a t-shirt saying "Richmond Supremacy - a fact of life". That has certainly not been the case for most of my life, but recent years have been awesome to see!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Taking a leaf out of your book, DS, I've started watching last year's games. Watched the R2 loss to Collingwood last night. Remembered as a bad loss (44 points) but it was a close game until they pulled away in the last 15 minutes, helped by some shocking umpiring (27 frees to 9).

In the calm light of hindsight it wasn't that bad a loss considering we were a bit discombobulated a week after losing Rance, Riewoldt broke his wrist two minutes into the second quarter (but played out the game), Higlet took the field with an undiagnosed brain disorder, and we were without Houli, Caddy, Bolton, Baker, Pickett, Stack, and Soldo. Weller and Markov both played. Jack played second ruck. We should have known then that Collingwood were frauds.

Really interesting going through a whole season in a couple of weeks, especially 2017 when it was such a roller coaster and we were coming from the mess that was 2016.

Just watched the last game of the year and they played well, dropped off in the third, but looked like they could make a Prelim with some luck.

Bye week now so I'm planning on watching The Fighting Fury and the 1970 Grand Final before on to the finals.

Ossie, I well remember those names you could sew on. I just had a sort of red maybe denim type jacket with a line of names. Never managed to get a duffle coat, maybe too expensive.

You must have been watching a game where the full banner along the top deck of the old Southern Stand was half hanging off, I remember the full banner saying: Ruthless Richmond Powerful Premiership Predators!

Back in those days the Richmond Cheer Squad were behind the Punt Rd End goals on the upper deck of the Southern Stand, the Melburne Cheer Squad were also on the upper deck on the Southern Wing.

Of course it was quite a grotty old stand, nothing like this:

PROJECT_MCGhist_03_900x520.jpg

Ever remember it that clean? I sure as hell don't.

Number 8 was a good number to have: *smile* Clay followed by Roach. I remember *smile* Clay kicking massive torps out to the wing from a behind, too young to remember him in the middle.

That era, mid 70s and just into the 80s was when I went a lot as a kid. I always remember going to a Richmond v Collingwood game sometime in the 70s where they had to keep opening up more and more of the ground as the crowd was massive, over 90k from memory - we won too.

DS

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Really interesting going through a whole season in a couple of weeks, especially 2017 when it was such a roller coaster and we were coming from the mess that was 2016.

Just watched the last game of the year and they played well, dropped off in the third, but looked like they could make a Prelim with some luck.

Bye week now so I'm planning on watching The Fighting Fury and the 1970 Grand Final before on to the finals.

Ossie, I well remember those names you could sew on. I just had a sort of red maybe denim type jacket with a line of names. Never managed to get a duffle coat, maybe too expensive.

You must have been watching a game where the full banner along the top deck of the old Southern Stand was half hanging off, I remember the full banner saying: Ruthless Richmond Powerful Premiership Predators!

Back in those days the Richmond Cheer Squad were behind the Punt Rd End goals on the upper deck of the Southern Stand, the Melburne Cheer Squad were also on the upper deck on the Southern Wing.

Of course it was quite a grotty old stand, nothing like this:

PROJECT_MCGhist_03_900x520.jpg

Ever remember it that clean? I sure as hell don't.

Number 8 was a good number to have: *smile* Clay followed by Roach. I remember *smile* Clay kicking massive torps out to the wing from a behind, too young to remember him in the middle.

That era, mid 70s and just into the 80s was when I went a lot as a kid. I always remember going to a Richmond v Collingwood game sometime in the 70s where they had to keep opening up more and more of the ground as the crowd was massive, over 90k from memory - we won too.

DS
Great memories DS. Yes, I knew there was more to the banners, couldn't remember the rest. They used to start behind the Punt Road end goals and go around to near the wing. Tass remembered that banner too. The sew on names were great, that way fans could get all of their faves on there. I don't remember the Melbourne Cheer Squad on the wing, I can recall them in the Northern Stand in our red seats :) Yes, *smile* Clay's massive torps were amazing, just on the very edge of my time, so not sure if my memories are from tapes!
That's a great photo. Certainly very different today!

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Great memories DS. Yes, I knew there was more to the banners, couldn't remember the rest. They used to start behind the Punt Road end goals and go around to near the wing. Tass remembered that banner too. The sew on names were great, that way fans could get all of their faves on there. I don't remember the Melbourne Cheer Squad on the wing, I can recall them in the Northern Stand in our red seats :) Yes, *smile* Clay's massive torps were amazing, just on the very edge of my time, so not sure if my memories are from tapes!
That's a great photo. Certainly very different today!

Yeah, that photo is from the 1930s so the stand is quite new. Was a great stand. If anyone wonders how we used to get 120K into the MCG, look at how far forward the standing room goes. Masses of standing room back in those days and they certainly squeezed us in during finals.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah, that photo is from the 1930s so the stand is quite new. Was a great stand. If anyone wonders how we used to get 120K into the MCG, look at how far forward the standing room goes. Masses of standing room back in those days and they certainly squeezed us in during finals.

DS
Oh for sure. I do remember the old Southern Stand and how much standing room there was, also in front of the Ponsford Stand held a lot of standing room. I was at the 1992 World Cup cricket final which I think was the first time that the Great Southern Stand was used. I reckon I heard somewhere that they will be redeveloping the GSS in the next few years.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Speaking of banners - my memory is of a banner that used to go a long way around the MCG boundary and went something like

Richmond the Team of Tough Talented Tenacious Tigers

Now I'm thinking 70's and it being on the fence at ground level.
I not sure if I've got all those words right (or maybe even even missed some) - or have them in the wrong order - but it was one big continuous statement

Anyone got further on this?

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Speaking of banners - my memory is of a banner that used to go a long way around the MCG boundary and went something like

Richmond the Team of Tough Talented Tenacious Tigers

Now I'm thinking 70's and it being on the fence at ground level.
I not sure if I've got all those words right (or maybe even even missed some) - or have them in the wrong order - but it was one big continuous statement

Anyone got further on this?
Good question Tenacious. I found some examples from the past that may spark your memory.

Last edited:

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
This is a gem. A collection of Disco Roach highlights from the 1979 season in which he stamped himself as an emerging star full forward :clap2

Reactions: 3 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
This is a gem. A collection of Disco Roach highlights from the 1979 season in which he stamped himself as an emerging star full forward :clap2

Great work Tass, just stumbled across that one also. Here is some rare footage (in colour) from the 1969 and 1973 Grand Finals.

Reactions: 1 user

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Great work Tass, just stumbled across that one also. Here is some rare footage (in colour) from the 1969 and 1973 Grand Finals.

Yeah, these are awesome OZ. Great footage with a different perspective compared to the original broadcast footage :clap2

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

He was a beauty, and how’s his agility when most key forwards were lumberers.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah, these are awesome OZ. Great footage with a different perspective compared to the original broadcast footage :clap2
They are Tass. Love seeing the unusual coverage, the build up etc. Great to see.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Spot on TT. Probably not entirely surprising given he originally started his career as a wingman

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yes TT, Disco was very agile as Tass said, starting as winger in 1977. His leap and ability to kick goals from 50-60 metres out was breathtaking. Probably why so many of us kids had his number on our jumpers and duffle coats!

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
As we have no live matches Watch AFL are showing a number of matches that were before my time as a footy fanatic. I have just watched the 1980 GF and boy were the Tigers tough in those days From ball up to final siren the Tigers put on a masterclass and the wobbles could only watch. Just watching our stars of yesterday after only really reading about them from posters here made my day

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

Watching the highlight clip from the 73 Grand Final, it shows angles of the Laurie Fowler bump on Nicholls and Balmey's hits on Southby and Waite that I have not seen before. Sheeds got us off to a flyer in the first quarter, then Royce, KB and Stewie on one leg got us home. Love how the Cup was presented back then - Royce going into the MCC Members and emerging with the Cup to share with the team!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As we have no live matches Watch AFL are showing a number of matches that were before my time as a footy fanatic. I have just watched the 1980 GF and boy were the Tigers tough in those days From ball up to final siren the Tigers put on a masterclass and the wobbles could only watch. Just watching our stars of yesterday after only really reading about them from posters here made my day

Last Grand Final I went to, a very nice memory the 1980 GF :cupgold

I have watched the 2017 H&A games and now taking a break by watching the 1970 Grand Final. Half time and Collingwood are absolutely pantsing Carlton, they should be 60 points ahead, no contest. Amazing they managed to lose. Do yourself a favour, watch this game in full if you have never seen it. Amazing, and you can also see how 121K can fit into the 'G. For desert watch the 1973 Prelim Final in full too, you will sleep well at night after those 2 :cool:

One observation from the first half: Nichols is a complete thug, threw a Collingwood player into the fence after tackling him. Apart from what he did to Neville Crowe in 1967 which was disgusting, he is just a thug. They should have given Fowler a medal for what he did in the 1973 GF, not a free to Nichols since they shirtfronted each other. Still, we won :D

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne

My first footy hero.

An outstanding vertical leap and superb agility as others have noted.

And how about that kicking action! Near flawless.

Thanks for posting, @Tass

Great memories.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Last Grand Final I went to, a very nice memory the 1980 GF :cupgold

I have watched the 2017 H&A games and now taking a break by watching the 1970 Grand Final. Half time and Collingwood are absolutely pantsing Carlton, they should be 60 points ahead, no contest. Amazing they managed to lose. Do yourself a favour, watch this game in full if you have never seen it. Amazing, and you can also see how 121K can fit into the 'G. For desert watch the 1973 Prelim Final in full too, you will sleep well at night after those 2 :cool:

One observation from the first half: Nichols is a complete thug, threw a Collingwood player into the fence after tackling him. Apart from what he did to Neville Crowe in 1967 which was disgusting, he is just a thug. They should have given Fowler a medal for what he did in the 1973 GF, not a free to Nichols since they shirtfronted each other. Still, we won :D

DS
Agree DS about the 1970 Grand Final. I watched some of the first half a while back on Fox and the Pies were in total control. Tuddy accidentally knocking McKenna out didn't help them much! When you watch the footage in the clip I posted earlier, the Fowler and Nicholls clash is a beauty!

Funny story about the 1973 Prelim Final. A mate and I went up to the Round 1, 1989 Swans v Richmond game in Sydney on the supporters bus. We left around 6pm on Friday night and arrived early on Saturday morning. It was around 4am and most people had just managed to fall asleep on the bus, when the bus was awoken to some loud cheering. The bus had a VCR that was playing the 1973 Prelim vs the Pies. When Royce kicked a late goal, some guys up the front started cheering wildly, waking everyone up. Needless to say they received some constructive advice :)