I'm bored, what games should I watch? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I'm bored, what games should I watch?

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Watching the highlight clip from the 73 Grand Final, it shows angles of the Laurie Fowler bump on Nicholls and Balmey's hits on Southby and Waite that I have not seen before. Sheeds got us off to a flyer in the first quarter, then Royce, KB and Stewie on one leg got us home. Love how the Cup was presented back then - Royce going into the MCC Members and emerging with the Cup to share with the team!

That 69 GF highlight video was one of the best things I've watched in ages. Thanks heaps! There were so many things i loved about it I don't know where to start! I'll watch the 73 one when I get a chance.

"The tigers are fine in 69"! Go the *smile* Tigers!

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
That 69 GF highlight video was one of the best things I've watched in ages. Thanks heaps! There were so many things i loved about it I don't know where to start! I'll watch the 73 one when I get a chance.

"The tigers are fine in 69"! Go the ****** Tigers!

Yeah - really good stuff
I saw the game on Foxtel the other night (which is silly coz I've got the DVD's and could watch them anytime) but the highlight video has some different angles - and I particularly enjoyed the shots in the rooms before the game.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

"The tigers are fine in 69"! Go the ****** Tigers!
No worries at all Kyuss. Loved the different angles we saw, the build up and being in colour was cool!
Haha, the Tigers are fine in 69 line was a ripper!
I am sure you will enjoy the 73 video also. Plenty of different footage and it has a similar great ending!

Last edited:

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah - really good stuff
I saw the game on Foxtel the other night (which is silly coz I've got the DVD's and could watch them anytime) but the highlight video has some different angles - and I particularly enjoyed the shots in the rooms before the game.
Yes Tenacious, watching Rex, Bowdo, Bones etc getting ready with Tommy stalking the room was awesome. The 73 video has some really close up footage of play that isn't in the original broadcast. The shot used on the link of Whale and Rex in a ruck contest against Big Nick was on the cover of a footy book I had as a boy - I read that book cover to cover many times!

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Last Grand Final I went to, a very nice memory the 1980 GF :cupgold

I have watched the 2017 H&A games and now taking a break by watching the 1970 Grand Final. Half time and Collingwood are absolutely pantsing Carlton, they should be 60 points ahead, no contest. Amazing they managed to lose. Do yourself a favour, watch this game in full if you have never seen it. Amazing, and you can also see how 121K can fit into the 'G. For desert watch the 1973 Prelim Final in full too, you will sleep well at night after those 2 :cool:

One observation from the first half: Nichols is a complete thug, threw a Collingwood player into the fence after tackling him. Apart from what he did to Neville Crowe in 1967 which was disgusting, he is just a thug. They should have given Fowler a medal for what he did in the 1973 GF, not a free to Nichols since they shirtfronted each other. Still, we won :D

DS
The next Tigers match I watched on Watch AFL was 1969 GF against Carlton. That was seriously brutal unarmed warfare type of game but interspersed with some really good footy from the stars of yesteryear so a great watch. I will now try to hunt out your recomendations

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Been watching some games from last year.
There is a piece of play in the Round 6 game v Melbourne which is as good as anything we've done in the last three years.

Vlastuin swoops on a loose ball at half back, handball to Houli.
Handball to Ellis, back to Houli.
Handball to Ross who deftly taps twice to himself to avoid the consequences of a tackle.
Handball back to Houli again, to Vlastuin again.
Exquisite long handball to Baker in the middle who lefts foots it out to the opposite flank.
Ball spills back to McIntosh, over the head handball to Riewoldt, kick to the goalsquare, Martin sharks from the pack, goal.

Can't find it all on YouTube. Starts with 6:08 left in the second.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Still going through 2017, just watched the Qualifying Final followed by reading the Game Day thread here.

Wow, such a significant game, winning a final and straight into the Prelim. That game was when my daughter finally got to see the Tigers as contenders. I remember when Geelong drew level in the 3rd quarter and that was the point where I turned to my daughter and said: now we find out if we are contenders or whether this is a false dawn.

The game day thread was interesting, such tension followed by pure joy. Great stuff.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Club website showing Jeff H]ogg kicking 10 v. the Magpies on Mothers day 1991.
Probably the last time the club had a great full forward, full back, centre half back, and centre half forward, only problem was they were all the same bloke.
He was a lovely kick of the footy, and had good hands.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Still going through 2017, just watched the Qualifying Final followed by reading the Game Day thread here.

Wow, such a significant game, winning a final and straight into the Prelim. That game was when my daughter finally got to see the Tigers as contenders. I remember when Geelong drew level in the 3rd quarter and that was the point where I turned to my daughter and said: now we find out if we are contenders or whether this is a false dawn.

The game day thread was interesting, such tension followed by pure joy. Great stuff.

DS
Yes for sure DS. My wife and I have just finished re-watching the three 2017 finals games. The last 40 minutes of the Qualifying Final is just glorious to watch, an absolute demolition. If anyone wants to debate who is the better player out of Danger and Dusty, just get them to watch this 40 minutes of footy. Dusty sets up most of our scores with exquisite skill and Danger goes at 31% by foot overall and has around six turnovers in quick succession. To finally get the Geelong gorilla off our back was so satisfying. I honestly can' t pick which of those three finals was more enjoyable. All different, all magical, they all had such importance to our footy club.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yes for sure DS. My wife and I have just finished re-watching the three 2017 finals games. The last 40 minutes of the Qualifying Final is just glorious to watch, an absolute demolition. If anyone wants to debate who is the better player out of Danger and Dusty, just get them to watch this 40 minutes of footy. Dusty sets up most of our scores with exquisite skill and Danger goes at 31% by foot overall and has around six turnovers in quick succession. To finally get the Geelong gorilla off our back was so satisfying. I honestly can' t pick which of those three finals was more enjoyable. All different, all magical, they all had such importance to our footy club.

And if corroborating evidence is required (I'm into true crime podcasts) you only need look at the final qtr of last years PF - when Diverfield gets only a few touches in total including a couple of handballs to teammates who were already under pressure and immediately crunched by our blokes.

He surely was an embarrassment to Geel supporters particularly when it followed his strutting after being gifted that free kick (for diving) and a charity 50m just before half time it was an totally p!ss-weak capitulation - but a joy to behold by the other 65,000 at the 'G!!!

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
Club website showing Jeff H]ogg kicking 10 v. the Magpies on Mothers day 1991.
Probably the last time the club had a great full forward, full back, centre half back, and centre half forward, only problem was they were all the same bloke.
A favourite player during a dark time... played some monster as a forward and solid as in defence.
And his parting gift of Broderick, Butch Gale and Matthew Dundas was pretty good to!

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
A favourite player during a dark time... played some monster as a forward and solid as in defence.
And his parting gift of Broderick, Butch Gale and Matthew Dundas was pretty good to!

As Meatloaf sang - two out of three ain’t bad

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
And if corroborating evidence is required (I'm into true crime podcasts) you only need look at the final qtr of last years PF - when Diverfield gets only a few touches in total including a couple of handballs to teammates who were already under pressure and immediately crunched by our blokes.

He surely was an embarrassment to Geel supporters particularly when it followed his strutting after being gifted that free kick (for diving) and a charity 50m just before half time it was an totally p!ss-weak capitulation - but a joy to behold by the other 65,000 at the 'G!!!
Very true Tenacious. Danger did play a cameo role in Dion's match sealing goal. He can be spotted at the top of the screen as Shai handballs to Dion. Lynchy then proceeds to sit him flat on his behind with a beautiful bump, getting to watch Dion's goal and the start of his off season from the MCG turf!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

DS

All and sundry expected to Tigers to bottle the Q/F and then fall in a heap as we had done in other finals.

This side was different however, elite class leaders hitting their prime, complemented by some real heart and soul determined gut breaking workers and role players all doing their bit with the leash off and a new found brotherhood and belief that had them enjoying footy again.

That was the night that everyone realised that this was not the same Richmond, and the night I had my first thought that maybe ....just maybe we could make it to that last Saturday.

It is also been the prototype that the opposition have tried to manufacture, but failed.

You cannot manufacture what comes organically with the same result.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Very true Tenacious. Danger did play a cameo role in Dion's match sealing goal. He can be spotted at the top of the screen as Shai handballs to Dion. Lynchy then proceeds to sit him flat on his behind with a beautiful bump, getting to watch Dion's goal and the start of his off season from the MCG turf!

Yep no love lost between those two.

Well I'd actually go as far as to say that Tommy doesn't rate or like Diverfield too much, as he has a history of sitting Danger on his arse.

I think Danger might drop off a tad with his BS against the Tigers we've bashed him and beaten them badly enough now, and our bosses have bossed him enough for him to know it.

Then again Diver is also a campaigner and one that probably licks the mirror when looking at himself in it.

Last edited:

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yep no love lost between those two.

Well I'd actually go as far as to say that Tommy doesn't rate or like Diverfield too much, as he has a history of sitting Danger on his arse.

I think Danger might drop off a tad with his BS against the Tigers we've bashed him and beaten them badly enough now, and our bosses have bossed him enough for him to know it.

Then again Diver is also a campaigner and one that probably licks the mirror when looking at himself in it.
Haha, that's very true Craig. This clip of the GC Lynchy and the Crow Diver confirms your thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users