I'm bored, what games should I watch? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I'm bored, what games should I watch?

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Lots of hightlights and snippets on the RFC website, that make interesting watching.
One thing I notice is just how tough MarK *smile* was, and what we missed by his injuries cutting his tenure short.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
I was about to subscribe to the AFL app, they are no longer offering 99 per year but 16.99 per month. Looking after supporters again.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Over the last few months, I've been watching all of our home and away wins last year.
Re-watching a large batch of games like that is something I would never normally do.
My take ... I had forgotten how scarily good we were once the injuries stopped.
And even having the injuries in the first place was a big part of the reason we got so good ... it gave extra opportunities to players like Stack, Ross, Balta, Chol and even Soldo. Most of these players took these opportunities and the competition for spots in the team sky-rocketed.
Originally I watched all of these games live as they happened and with the stress of not knowing the result and "barracking" for us to win removed, it really is very obvious how good we were.
I think that the only thing that kept a lot of the games relatively close (even when the injured players had returned) was a supreme belief among the players that we were that much better and would turn it on when it was needed. And we did. In most games there are stunning moments of individual brilliance.
I am also still a firm believer that the coaching staff deliberately resource-managed the team to the extent that we only win by as much as we needed to to secure the points and not to waste energy on chasing percentage, which they had probably given up on when it slumped to 92.0 by Round 14.
After that, with the exception of flogging Gold Coast by 92 points and clinching the match-of-the-year against West Coast by 6, our winning margins were 33, 27, 38, 32, 33, 28 and 27 - and in that lot there were teams as good as Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane and as bad as Carlton and Melbourne. It didn't matter who we were playing, we would make sure we won and won comfortably but no more than that.
The only things that made us look anything remotely touchable were the game against West Coast and the first half of the Preliminary Final.
After going five consecutive weeks without gaining a premiership point, I reckon from Round 15 on, for three months, we were as dominant as any team in recent memory and the Grand Final flogging was no anomaly and even against more fancied oppostion (e.g. Collingwood, Geelong, West Coast), we would have won comfortably.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Over the last few months, I've been watching all of our home and away wins last year.
Re-watching a large batch of games like that is something I would never normally do.
My take ... I had forgotten how scarily good we were once the injuries stopped.
And even having the injuries in the first place was a big part of the reason we got so good ... it gave extra opportunities to players like Stack, Ross, Balta, Chol and even Soldo. Most of these players took these opportunities and the competition for spots in the team sky-rocketed.
Originally I watched all of these games live as they happened and with the stress of not knowing the resulting and "barracking" for us to win removed, it really is very obvious how good we were.
I think that the only thing that kept a lot of the games relatively close (even when the injured players had returned) was a supreme belief among the players that we were that much better and would turn it on when it was needed. And we did. In most games there are stunning moments of individual brilliance.
I am also still a firm believer that the coaching staff deliberately resource-managed the team to the extent that we only win by as much as we needed to to secure the points and not to waste energy on chasing percentage, which they had probably given up on when it slumped to 92.0 by Round 14.
After that, with the exception of flogging Gold Coast by 92 points and clinching the match-of-the-year against West Coast by 6, our winning margins were 33, 27, 38, 32, 33, 28 and 27 - and in that lot there were teams as good as Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane and as bad as Carlton and Melbourne. It didn't matter who we were playing, we would make sure we won and won comfortably but no more than that.
The only things that made us look anything remotely touchable were the game against West Coast and the first half of the Preliminary Final.
After going five consecutive weeks without gaining a premiership point, I reckon from Round 15 on, for three months, we were as dominant as any team in recent memory and the Grand Final flogging was no anomaly and even against more fancied oppostion (e.g. Collingwood, Geelong, West Coast), we would have won comfortably.

Yeah, much easier to anaylse a game once you know the result.

It was simply amazing how the players who came into the side took their opportunities to the extent that we have issue at selection where difficult decisions have to be made over who to leave out.

Good times indeed.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Just watched Round 23 from last year against Brisbane at the G.
I was nearly going to skip it. We didn't kick alot of goals after quarter time (only two in each quarter), and the next game is also Brisbane and a final to boot.
But in the end I did watch it, and very glad I did.
What a cracker! Best game of the season I think.
We pretty much set the standard in the first quarter but for the next 2.5 quarters, Brisbane threw everything at us.
Have to say they were fantastic, and we were better.

Bit of a hidden gem this match and I think for anyone going through last year's games, if you are thinking about skipping this match for the same reasons I did, don't!

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just watched Round 23 from last year against Brisbane at the G.
I was nearly going to skip it. We didn't kick alot of goals after quarter time (only two in each quarter), and the next game is also Brisbane and a final to boot.
But in the end I did watch it, and very glad I did.
What a cracker! Best game of the season I think.
We pretty much set the standard in the first quarter but for the next 2.5 quarters, Brisbane threw everything at us.
Have to say they were fantastic, and we were better.

Bit of a hidden gem this match and I think for anyone going through last year's games, if you are thinking about skipping this match for the same reasons I did, don't!

That was a good game although I reckon the WCE game and, of course, the Prelim, were at least on a par.

Grand Final was fun too, just not for anyone else :cupgold

DS

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Just set up Kayo, $15 a month offer from telstra, as the next few games won't be on seven, and was lucky enough to find the 2019 Stone Skipping championships from Lake Mackinac in Michigan, riveting stuff.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I must say that I enjoyed watching us beat Port last year with no Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance. It sure wiped the smile off Kane Cornes face, the smug ****

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Just decided to have another look at the 2017 Qualifying against the Moggies.

This was the turning point.

Reactions: 5 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Just decided to have another look at the 2017 Qualifying against the Moggies.

This was the turning point.
Grigg! Such a smart footballer. Come home Griggy!
Rance! Harry Taylor played forward and Rance towelled him right up (owed him that from the Kardinia Park match a few weeks before). Massive game.
Towner! What a beauty he was (for a short time).
Butler!
Ellis!

Gee our pressure was massive.

Jack Graham - just his 3rd game! 21 disposals & 9 tackles.
Dusty & Prestia were great. Cotch (6 tackles in the 1st), Vlas, JR, Caddy, Edwards, Nank! Dusty got real serious in the last and they couldn't get near him.
Butler, Castagna & Rioli. The 3 Amigos!
With 5 mins to go Cotchin's goals by spinning through congestion was icing.

So from that team we've added Lynch, Bolton, Baker, Balta, Short & Pickett. Wow!

Geelong
Always looking to the umpire for a free. Selwood and Dangerflog the worst but they have plenty of mates.
Dangerflog is useless when he's pressured. Butchers the ball. Lost count of the number of times he got caught or kicked out on the full.
Commentators keep telling us he's an awesome athlete but Blitzarse is just a dumb footballer.
Bews is a spud.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just been quietly working through the 2020 season dvd's, only watch the wins, hate seeing us lose on the day n stuffed if I'm gunna waste time watching us lose on a replay.
Watched the Frockers game today. No Shedda, Presty, Grub, *smile*, Lamblett, Stacka. Dusty had the Concareter annoying him all game n both the Dusty one n Cotchinator had probably their least effective games for the year. On top of that both Nank n Bash were not long back in the team n rusty as could be.
Seriously hard work all game but still pulled well clear by games end. Damn this mobs good.

• Love

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Always great to be reminded of the send off we gave Sheedy and Hird...... watched this lastnight and Shedda was doing stuff that he does now.... Think Wallace eventually coached it out of him!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Always great to be reminded of the send off we gave Sheedy and Hird...... watched this lastnight and Shedda was doing stuff that he does now.... Think Wallace eventually coached it out of him!

Geez, was it really that long ago?? Poor Essendrugs fans must be feelin like the nightmare's been going for thirty years. Long may it continue.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Think Round 14 match last year against the Weagles at Metricon will get a run on the weekend. One of my favourites games from last year.

Missing Prestia, Edwards & Astbury, then losing Grimes, we made them look second rate.

Refused to bomb the ball into F50. Left McGovern sitting on the bench wondering what he could do to get in the game :cool:

Reactions: 3 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Get a hold of the 1967 and 2017 grand finals.Premierships that were won after many years in the wilderness.Look at the contrasting styles of play then try to select the ultimate Tiger team from the two.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
This is a good thread. Trying to find that Monday night game from the 90’s when we rolled the Eagles at their best.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
My favourite sequence of games to watch is the Geelong Bunnies Premiership.

Watch 2017 qf finals Richmond beat Geelong, to make it through to the 2019 prelim against Geelong which we win to play the 2020 GF against Geelong, and win that too.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users