Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I totally support a treaty between First Nations peoples and the Australian government - should have been done a century ago. NZ had the Treaty of Waitangi and lo and behold New Zealand still exists.

Regardless, this is a separate topic to the Voice. Have you got an argument to vote No?
Yeah my argument is called division ,and l can tell you now wait till more people read about the proposed treaties of the States. Victoria ,Queensland at the moment,and you will see more and more backlash .
Your not Indigenous lm not Indigenous,but Indigenous people will have to live through all the back lash and racial comments associated with the Voice ,and Treaties .

As for New Zealand they spend something like 68 billion a year on the Maori economy .

To me this will cause division .

State-wide and Traditional Owner Treaties​

In a state-wide Treaty, we will negotiate significant changes to Victoria’s structures and systems of government to achieve greater control over our own lives and destinies.
For example, Treaties between Indigenous peoples and governments in New Zealand and Canada cover things like:
  • the recognition of historic wrongs,
  • commitments to enable self-determination and self-government (see Meaningful Voice)
  • rights to manage land and resources, health, education, and economic development, and
  • the ability to practice and revitalise culture, language and heritage.

Traditional Owners of Country will be able to build on the work of the state-wide Treaty by negotiating a Traditional Owner Treaty in their area with the Victorian Government, that focuses on specific topics of their choosing.

For example, Traditional Owner Treaties, might include things like:

• Traditional relationships with land and waters
  • Culture and language
  • Economic underpinnings for caring for Country
  • Land and water hand backs and entitlements
  • National Park management
  • Economic development opportunities

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Continued....

A MEANINGFUL VOICE AND REPRESENTATION​

Treaty is an opportunity to secure better representation and political power for First Peoples.
Both the state-wide Treaty and Traditional Owner Treaties can include changes to current systems and structures of government to give First Peoples a greater say and control over matters that affect First Peoples.

“Treaty is opportunity to secure meaningful structural reform to ensure our people can make the decisions about our communities, our culture and our Country.”​

— Aunty Geraldine, Assembly Co-Chair.​

We’ve been yarning with Community about various ideas for reforms that will put First Peoples in the driver’s seat. Two big ideas for key reforms are:

Having a number of seats in the Victorian Parliament that members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community vote for.

Establishing a permanent representative body with meaningful decision-making powers – a “Black Parliament” of sorts.

This Black Parliament would be elected by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Victoria to make decisions and pass and administer laws on issues that affect First Peoples. This might be an expanded version of the First Peoples’ Assembly or a new entity – such details will be worked out during Treaty negotiations.

Other ideas being discussed include:

A First Peoples’ Voice to Parliament, which can give advice and input to the Victorian Parliament on any matters that affect First Peoples.

First Peoples oversight of the Victorian Government and public service for the benefit of First Peoples.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Treaties are about acknowledging the past and moving forward on the basis of an agreement, rather than pretending the past didn't happen. Treaties bring people together - denying the past does the opposite.

All this is besides the point though - start a new thread if you want to discuss treaties, reparations or whatever the issue is rather than forcing them into the Voice thread.

Reactions: 1 user

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Treaties are about acknowledging the past and moving forward on the basis of an agreement, rather than pretending the past didn't happen. Treaties bring people together - denying the past does the opposite.

All this is besides the point though - start a new thread if you want to discuss treaties, reparations or whatever the issue is rather than forcing them into the Voice thread.
As usual Antman you only see what you want to see ,and disregard the rest .
Anyway Ant ,l will be voting no ,surprise surprise ,l would rather be talking football at the moment , and we still have a few months to go before voting .

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
As usual Antman you only see what you want to see ,and disregard the rest .
Anyway Ant ,l will be voting no ,surprise surprise ,l would rather be talking football at the moment , and we still have a few months to go before voting .

it's a simple request mate - give me an argument to vote no to the Voice.

You still haven't done that.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Ah you haven't read my earlier posts on here about child abuse ,but State and territory Governments and Indigenous adults need to take responsibility .
Financial Reparations or the Voice isn't going to fix the problem.

The federal/states/Territories Governments spend over 30 Billion + a year on Indigenous issues ,people,programs etc etc ,and you think Australian taxpayers should payout Billions more.
Maybe all the Yes voters can come together ,and sell their houses (if they own one) and give over half there work pay ,and give it all to the Indigenous reparations ,lm sure the Yes voters wouldn't have a problem with that,when they consider Australia is not their country.
Reparations is your argument, not mine. I couldn’t care any less about them. I pay a lot of tax already for a whole bunch of stuff that is far, far, less worthy than indigenous issues and programs.

Australia isn’t my country, you got that right. I’m from immigrant stock from the 1850’s. A dago White Honky for those racists on here.

If I sell my house and give half my sweat and tears for the reparations and billions in wasted moneys, can you cover the handful of nuclear submarines that will need to be financed? Seems only fair that you pitch in for ‘Straya.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi, oi, oi!

Reactions: 1 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Reparations is your argument, not mine. I couldn’t care any less about them. I pay a lot of tax already for a whole bunch of stuff that is far, far, less worthy than indigenous issues and programs.

Australia isn’t my country, you got that right. I’m from immigrant stock from the 1850’s. A dago White Honky for those racists on here.

If I sell my house and give half my sweat and tears for the reparations and billions in wasted moneys, can you cover the handful of nuclear submarines that will need to be financed? Seems only fair that you pitch in for ‘Straya.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi, oi, oi!
Great post Tommy . My lot male 1827 side Scottish . Female side 1840 Irish. Worked their butts off as did all their descendants including me. Served the country when in need . Not afraid to put money in the plate as well when needed. When a polly spouts this this & that if it is fair & square to all , I tick the Box . When it is not it does not get my nod. They have been chipping away for years & now they have the axe out. Next could be the chainsaw. Not getting my Nod.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Treaty?

treaty-richmond-banner-2-768x325.png

Sure, has my support.

DS