Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You mean the same ATSIC that was dismantled because of corruption allegations?
I think the issue hasn't been because they aren't represented constitutionally, it's because they've basically had a bunch of cave men responsible for the management of the portfolio, given its been amalgamated into the Office of PM and Cabinet since. (Yes I know there's been a minister as well, like Phil Ruddock, Mal Brough. Etc

The proposed indigenous Voice to parliament, and the existing Port Folio of Indigenous Affairs are vastly different things General.

A minister for indigenous affairs isnt elected by black fellas.

They are arbitarily selected by a government,

To head up a predominantly white beauracracy, the dept of indigenous affairs,

Under the constraints of cabinet and party politics.

And i think we'd agree, that the structures and processes we have tried to make decisions for indigenous Australia - governers, protectorates, ministers. - havnt worked.

This is a new approach. A new beginning.

Most importantly, conceived entirely by indigenous australians

Under the new model, elected Ministers and senior advisors and beauracrats (sorry @DavidSSS , spelling isnt my strong suite) will sit around a big table with the Voice panel, table draft legislation, and ideally listen and make changes to benefit all Australians ,black and white.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think there lies the problem of any such poll, until the mechanisms and compositions are established its almost impossible to vote on, whilst the vast majority i hope and suspect want good and fair solutions, until a model is established its almost impossible to understand support for said 'Voice'.
Can you give more details on any of our current constitution? or laws?
i really feel those who are saying they will vote no without more detail are just looking for a reason to vote no.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Somethings are so much of a no brainer that its bewildering they have an opposition. But invariably, it happens.

One of the problems with a referendum is that when you see 'Yes' or 'No', your brain likes to see them as two equally weighted and justifiable choices. All our various institutions in debate, politics and media reinforce this.

I'm yet to see the reason behind 'No.' There's the faux high horse 'Oh it won't fix anything, it's not enough, don't you even know how hard indigenous Australians have it? There will still be bad things yada yada yada.'

But that seems like a 'Yes, and...' statement, not a no.

Maybe that's how the referendum should be polled. The options are 'Yes' or 'Yes and also...'

Reactions: 3 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
It's a bizarre and fantastical take, almost conspiracy theory level BS.

The proposed indigenous Voice to parliament, and the existing Port Folio of Indigenous Affairs are vastly different things General.

A minister for indigenous affairs isnt elected by black fellas.

They are arbitarily selected by a government,

To head up a predominantly white beauracracy, the dept of indigenous affairs,

Under the constraints of cabinet and party politics.

And i think we'd agree, that the structures and processes we have tried to make decisions for indigenous Australia - governers, protectorates, ministers. - havnt worked.

This is a new approach. A new beginning.

Most importantly, conceived entirely by indigenous australians

Under the new model, elected Ministers and senior advisors and beauracrats (sorry @DavidSSS , spelling isnt my strong suite) will sit around a big table with the Voice panel, table draft legislation, and ideally listen and make changes to benefit all Australians ,black and white.
So it Their way or the Highway?.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
We do have a Minister for the indigenous population who have been here for 60,000 years, who lost their land by force from settlers, who were not recognised as humans of equal standing in our constitution until not much more than 50 years ago, who had thousands of their children forcibly separated from their families, who have education and health outcomes well below the national average and incarceration rates far higher.
And so we should
I hope that one day we don’t need one
We have a Minister for Social services who deals with those citizens eligible for social services. Do you want a Minister for those not needing Social Services as well?

What’s a ‘voice to parliament’ mean?
Ask Sintiger from Camberwell ?.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Can you give more details on any of our current constitution? or laws?
i really feel those who are saying they will vote no without more detail are just looking for a reason to vote no.

I voted on Ezys poll probably yes.

I cant speak for those that will vote No, no doubt some would be racial, others for other reasons perhaps.

My comment was really that currently i dont think they have decided exactly what it looks like so its difficult to accurately gauge how ppl would vote, perhaps im wrong?.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So it Their way or the Highway?.

If yes and no was a spectrum,

Outright Yes being 10, outright No being 0, maybe being 5

The answer to your question is a 0

Last edited:

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
It's a simple yes.

Dutton just confirming how out of touch and irrelevant the LNP have become.

I do get the impression that posters on PRE are more progressive than the mean.

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
As someone who lived and worked for nearly 15 years with Indigenous people in Indigenous communities and a large regional town with a large indigenous population I can say Sintigers posting on this thread is a lot more accurate and insightful than Tigaman from Perth's.

Reactions: 4 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Well terrey, what a profound statement. You have set your bar very very low for your 3rd post on here, I do hope you can lift it a bit or are you just trolling.
Highlighting exactly the problem here.Just because there is a dissenter he /she is quickly trodden on. I hate this we are right and everyone else is wrong type of zealotry.Allow democracy please.

Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Highlighting exactly the problem here.Just because there is a dissenter he /she is quickly trodden on. I hate this we are right and everyone else is wrong type of zealotry.Allow democracy please.

Agree.

Echo chambers dont help.

I could run a poll asking 'is richmond the best footy team?'

Yes

No.

And aside from check-mating @The Big Richo , :cool:

What would be the point?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
YotT write a post highlighting various factors any the referendum to which a poster responded "no". It was a bit of a rubbish post, and not because it possibly disagreed with YotT's view, but because it contributed little, is vague in meaning and doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: 1 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
YotT write a post highlighting various factors any the referendum to which a poster responded "no". It was a bit of a rubbish post, and not because it possibly disagreed with YotT's view, but because it contributed little, is vague in meaning and doesn't really make sense.
I reckon it would have been more prudent to ask for clarification from the poster,than calling he/she a troll.And one should always take into account not all people are fully conversive in English..Same as your post you say YouT write.I would say YouT wrote.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Well Tigaman from Perth I did reply to Tigerfan's post and acknowledged the fact that the reason why he asked that question is to me a serious risk to the Voice referendum

I am entitled to my view as you are, without the cynicism of postcode assumptions. You have zero knowledge of my background and status in life.

In fact I have had quite a lot to do with urban indigenous populations through my work but I don't profess to understand all indigenous issues and how they feel about them (nor do the vast majority of us) which is ironically probably why they need a "voice".

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I am sorry, but a one word answer doesn’t really cut it for me - saying No without any explanation I personally think is a tad rude, verging on arrogance.

I am happy for people to disagree, and I try and make my posts as even and as balanced as I can, but for someone to just say No with nothing else is poor form and adds nothing to the debate. They are saying they are right with no explanation and I am wrong blanket.

So I gently reject your preposition that I jumped on a someone with differing views.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I am sorry, but a one word answer doesn’t really cut it for me - saying No without any explanation I personally think is a tad rude, verging on arrogance.

I am happy for people to disagree, and I try and make my posts as even and as balanced as I can, but for someone to just say No with nothing else is poor form and adds nothing to the debate. They are saying they are right with no explanation and I am wrong blanket.

So I gently reject your preposition that I jumped on a someone with differing views.
Think you need to read my previous post.