Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Id appreciate a simple poll response here, feel free to make your vote public if you want, but please use the politics thread in the politics board for discussion?
Well terrey, what a profound statement. You have set your bar very very low for your 3rd post on here, I do hope you can lift it a bit or are you just trolling.

FWIW yot,

@terrey followed the original, wildly optimistic, terms of reference

I set out for the thread,

Probably better than anyone.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
* mods, please allow me to gather 100 votes on the footy board before moving. Id like to test a theory and will get a more representative sample here. If it gets ugly by all means move or delete, but 100 PRE'ers havnt got anything wrong ever.

Lets assume the referendum in August asks;

'Do agree indigenous australians should be recognised in our constitution and given a voice to parliament?'

Id appreciate a simple poll response here, feel free to make your vote public if you want, but please use the politics thread in the politics board for discussion?

If we get 100 votes, ill share the hypothesis im testing.
Your poll has got me thinking about Rudd's apology to our indigenous brothers and sisters.

A lot of Australians were against apologising to our First Nation people..................what harm did it do?

I myself was in favour of it, for the simple reason that saying sorry might make some of our brothers and sisters feel better, and might start the healing process for them.

I wonder, post apology, what the thoughts are of those who were against the apology.

Dutton famously walked out of parliament during Rudd's apology, he now says that he regrets doing it. He is wrong in the sh!t stirring that he doing in regards to the referendum to establish a First Nations Voice to Parliament. He'll probably come out later and say that he was wrong in regards to the "voice" too.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
FWIW yot,

@terrey followed the original, wildly optimistic, terms of reference

I set out for the thread,

Probably better than anyone.
Actually he didn't. To do that he would have just voted and not made any comment

That's what I originally did but then joined in the discussion

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Actually he didn't. To do that he would have just voted and not made any comment

That's what I originally did but then joined in the discussion

Re-read Sin,

He followed them to the letter.

vote, make it public if you choose, discuss elsewhere.

He did precisely that, and i thought yot's savaging wasnt helpful.

But weve all done unhelpful things, especially in passion.

Lets try build a more respectful, inclusive Australia*

I think weve made significant progress on PRE; i reckon this thread would have gotten very ugly very quickly a few years ago - the adam goodes booing era.

And it stayed pretty civil - personal abuse-free even?

150 votes in a couple of days is a great response from PRE.

Thanks everyone, especially mods for letting it roll

* geelong is not considered Australia for the purpose of this aspiration

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Re-read Sin,

He followed them to the letter.

vote, make it public if you choose, discuss elsewhere.

He did precisely that, and i thought yot's savaging wasnt helpful.

But weve all done unhelpful things, especially in passion.

Lets try build a more respectful, inclusive Australia*

I think weve made significant progress on PRE; i reckon this thread would have gotten very ugly very quickly a few years ago - the adam goodes booing era.

And it stayed pretty civil - personal abuse-free even?

150 votes in a couple of days is a great response from PRE.

Thanks everyone, especially mods for letting it roll

* geelong is not considered Australia for the purpose of this aspiration
Ok point taken . However i do agree with the point made by others that simply saying yes or no added absolutely nothing. In fact there was no point in posting a one word response at all. Why post it unless you are wanting to get a response ?

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
I voted Probably Yes. I admire the process and those involved in crafting the Uluṟu Statement, and Linda Burney’s grace in voicing her message positively, politely and dispassionately among all the emotion. And, of course, indigenous people are (mainly) asking for it.

However, I am pessimistic that it will achieve anything, in particular in remote communities where the troubles are. As a lawyer, I do foresee the proposed wording will lead to many High Court challenges once the Voice (and the legislation around it) comes into effect.

As Dutton is asking, I think Albanese should show us the draft legislation - if it’s not ready yet (completely understandable), just say that and commit to showing it in time. I’m also concerned about the cost (there will be a lot of bureaucracy attached), and I certainly feel people are entitled to ask about that rather than just “trust Parliament”. The scope of “matters relating to Aboriginal and TSI peoples” is too vague. If that wording is adopted, then Parliament legislates a definition, there will be legal challenges if someone then considers the definition is narrower than the wording.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ok point taken . However i do agree with the point made by others that simply saying yes or no added absolutely nothing. In fact there was no point in posting a one word response at all. Why post it unless you are wanting to get a response ?

Youre choosing to relinquish anonymity.

nailing your colors to the mast.

I respect it,

But i see why you dont.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is interesting the way people say there is not enough detail in the referendum.

But let's compare, the wording of the 1967 referendum was as follows:

Do you approve the proposed law for the alteration of the Constitution entitled 'An Act to alter the Constitution so as to omit certain words relating to the people of the Aboriginal race in any state and so that Aboriginals are to be counted in reckoning the population'?

Not much detail there and that was accepted by the whole parliament and a vast majority of voters, the impact of that referendum was to:
The proposed law (Constitution Alteration (Aboriginals) 1967) sought to give the Commonwealth Parliament power to make laws with respect to Aboriginal people wherever they lived in Australia. It also sought to make it possible to include Aboriginal people in national censuses. The amendment deleted part of section 51 (xxvi) of the Constitution and repealed section 127.

This is a change to the constitution, the constitution is not about detail. The detail of the Voice will be up to parliament, and will most likely change over time. The detail is not really relevant given it won't be set in stone. The existence of the Voice will be set in stone, that is all, not the composition, not the way the members are chosen, not the specifics of how and under what conditions consultation takes place, not what consultation means - all of this is up to the parliament.

Why would we need detail on something we are not voting on. The referendum is about whether the Voice exists, no more than that.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Whitlam’s National Aboriginal Consultative Committee got axed by the Fraser government, Fraser's National Aboriginal Conference got axed by the Hawke government, Hawke's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission got axed by the Howard government...................Anyone see the trend.

A First Nations Voice to Parliament, will form part of our Constitution, I can't see anything wrong with that, because it will mean that they won't be forgotten like they have been in the almost 20 years since the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission was axed.
This may be the best argument I’ve seen for yes

Reactions: 4 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I personally voted yes & dont give a fat rats clacker which way others voted.

I am however, absolutely *smile* thrilled that we are having the conversation.

Reactions: 6 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don't want a head of state at all. We don't need one. As that drunken CIA stooge Kerr showed, it's too much power to put into the hands of one political appointment.

A Council of Elders. That's what we should have, with a spread of representation including Blackfella, Whitefella, Men, Women, Other, Young, Old, Middle-aged.

Hard to argue with that tbh. I mean, who do you give the power to dissolve parliament if there is evidence of corruption or a constitutional crisis? The current system doesn’t work, that’s for sure. We currently have a GG that is as dodgy AF and needs to be removed.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Well Tigaman from Perth I did reply to Tigerfan's post and acknowledged the fact that the reason why he asked that question is to me a serious risk to the Voice referendum

I am entitled to my view as you are, without the cynicism of postcode assumptions. You have zero knowledge of my background and status in life.

In fact I have had quite a lot to do with urban indigenous populations through my work but I don't profess to understand all indigenous issues and how they feel about them (nor do the vast majority of us) which is ironically probably why they need a "voice".
Urban indigenous !! I understand where you are coming from. What do they need a Voice for ?.They got an apology from Rudd & the State Premiers. They are laughing all the way to the banks now being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islands descent. Free legal ,medical, education including skills training, Royalties from Oil Mining etc etc. What is left for them for us to give. Maybe respect !!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Maybe respect !!

Exactly . You nailed it. When we respect our indigenous population, their needs, their beliefs their historical ownership, and I mean really respect them, then the Voice is a given.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Urban indigenous !! I understand where you are coming from. What do they need a Voice for ?.They got an apology from Rudd & the State Premiers. They are laughing all the way to the banks now being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islands descent. Free legal ,medical, education including skills training, Royalties from Oil Mining etc etc. What is left for them for us to give. Maybe respect !!
Laughing all the way to the bank? Yeh, sick of them tearing up my street in their Mercedes.

Who is this "us" you talk about and what is this giving?

What are you really threatened by is the Voice does receive the Yes approval?

To me it's like the gay marriage vote, what threat was it to the heterosexual population? What freedoms or rights did they lose? I never heard one good reason to oppose it. And it appears the same thing here. Anything that has thew potential and intention to improve outcomes for the indigenous population can only be a good thing. And if the majority of indigenous support it why shouldn't I?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Rudd apologised in parliament so everything is fine. You are right, it’s all great now
All those rich indigenous people are lining up at the Mercedes dealerships now

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
All those rich indigenous people are lining up at the Mercedes dealerships now
'Good day Mr Alan Bond, how you goin' bloke?
Hey, I'm your brand-new neighbour ... hey, mate you got a smoke?
And I think I'm gonna like it here
Livin' next door to Alan'

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Listened to Warren Mundine this morning. He's part of the No campaign, he put up a very poor argument as to why there shouldn't be A First Nations Voice to Parliament.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Besides those who are entitled to royalties for land that was stolen, what money do Indigenous people get that non-Indigenous people don't?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Listened to Warren Mundine this morning. He's part of the No campaign, he put up a very poor argument as to why there shouldn't be A First Nations Voice to Parliament.

From the snippets I've seen it really looks like Mundine is just heading the 'no' campaign because he was offered the job.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Its very encouraging how incoherant and ill-considered Mundine's No campaign opening gambit is.

The ticket reminds me of the Focus on Football richmond board takeover crew in 2016