Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Its very encouraging how incoherant and ill-considered Mundine's No campaign opening gambit is.

The ticket reminds me of the Focus on Football richmond board takeover crew in 2016
Yeah, the no campaign won't have the sort of coordinated backing the 'no' side got from the bigoted religious types last time.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah, the no campaign won't have the sort of coordinated backing the 'no' side got from the bigoted religious types last time.

Plus the only two arguments ive heard;

1. It wont make any difference so whats the point?
2. Black Fellas will run the show

Are obviously flimsy nonsense,

But they also contradict each other, so they can only use one for 3 months and the other one for 3 months.

I think Albanese has jerryed pretty early that YES only really needs to let NOcus on Football lose.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Besides those who are entitled to royalties for land that was stolen, what money do Indigenous people get that non-Indigenous people don't?

The other question is what don't they get?

I remember many years ago we visited Kakadu and stayed in Jabiru with mates of my partner's who knew the local mob. There was an aboriginal health service there, funded from aboriginal funding and royalties from the mine. So, everyone else gets Medicare, but if you're a black fella, it is partly paid from your royalties and the rest is claimed to be specific funding for aboriginal affairs. Medicare is meant to be a universal system, but for black communities they have to use their own funds to get access to the universal health system.

The myth of Indigenous Australians getting some sort of leg up is, and has always been, complete crap. Black fellas on the dole were forced to work for no wages well before any white fellas.

They get less, which is why their communities are so run down, life expectancy is lower etc.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Plus the only two arguments ive heard;

1. It wont make any difference so whats the point?
2. Black Fellas will run the show

Are obviously flimsy nonsense,

But they also contradict each other, so they can only use one for 3 months and the other one for 3 months.

I think Albanese has jerryed pretty early that YES only really needs to let NOcus on Football lose.

Love the contradiction, won't do anything and they'll get to run the show, laughable.

What is a real worry though is when the right wing press start the scare campaigns, we'll have to see what Murdoch and Costello dish out closer to the actual referendum, but that is what worries me.

By the way, nice spelling of Albanese ;)

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The other question is what don't they get?

I remember many years ago we visited Kakadu and stayed in Jabiru with mates of my partner's who knew the local mob. There was an aboriginal health service there, funded from aboriginal funding and royalties from the mine. So, everyone else gets Medicare, but if you're a black fella, it is partly paid from your royalties and the rest is claimed to be specific funding for aboriginal affairs. Medicare is meant to be a universal system, but for black communities they have to use their own funds to get access to the universal health system.

The myth of Indigenous Australians getting some sort of leg up is, and has always been, complete crap. Black fellas on the dole were forced to work for no wages well before any white fellas.

They get less, which is why their communities are so run down, life expectancy is lower etc.

DS
There has been a few posters recently make claims about all the extra money Indigenous Australians get, but when asked for facts there is always silence.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
4Corners QandA was good last night. Bridgette Mackenzie has all the coalition talking points smashed in front of a live studio audience. Lidia Thorpe came across as a radical who won't accept anything except her view of what should happen. Think Phil Cleary during the Republic referendum.
Surprisingly it was Craig Foster that made the most compelling arguments to vote yes, and then took a well aimed shot at Journos who don't hold politicians to account when told "There are no details" when there are.

Worth watching just watch Mackenzie look stupid, again, and seeing Thorpe pouting when her arguments were also shredded.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
4Corners was good last night. Bridgette Mackenzie has all the coalition talking points smashed in front of a live studio audience. Lidia Thorpe came across as a radical who won't accept anything except her view of what should happen. Think Phil Cleary during the Republic referendum.
Surprisingly it was Craig Foster that made the most compelling arguments to vote yes, and then took a well aimed shot at Journos who don't hold politicians to account when told "There are no details" when there are.

Worth watching just watch Mackenzie look stupid, again, and seeing Thorpe pouting when her arguments were also shredded.

Can't watch anything with Bridge on it so happy to hear she got smashed. I don't see why it so surprising that Craig Foster made compelling arguments, he's been making compelling arguments around social issues for a long time now. As for Lidia well that just confirms what I've been thinking.

Plus 4 Corners was indeed very good, private religious schools run and funded by churches should be defunded. Louise Milligan remains one of our best journos, she was apparently threatened by a former Redfield student ahead of the program and police are investigating.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Can't watch anything with Bridge on it so happy to hear she got smashed.

She started loud and strong but by then end of it only spoke when directly asked a question. One of the better QandAs in a while.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
4Corners QandA was good last night. Bridgette Mackenzie has all the coalition talking points smashed in front of a live studio audience. Lidia Thorpe came across as a radical who won't accept anything except her view of what should happen. Think Phil Cleary during the Republic referendum.

It is amazing that a completely discredited dud like MacKenzie can re-surface as a senior spokesperson for the LNP.

They are in a lot of trouble, and unfortunately, it is not good for a 2-party system to have one party so diminished and absent of talent.

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
It is amazing that a completely discredited dud like MacKenzie can re-surface as a senior spokesperson for the LNP.

This is part of why I can't watch her, she is completely discredited yet the media uses her like she's done nothing wrong. Plus I can't get over the sheer unmitigated gall she must have.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This is part of why I can't watch her, she is completely discredited yet the media uses her like she's done nothing wrong. Plus I can't get over the sheer unmitigated gall she must have.

Still think there was a fair bit of protecting Morrisson in her taking the fall. Deal done to take the fall, protect the Boss, but come back in as a Senator. Doesn't exonerate her and she's still useless, but her sacking as sports minister was just to kill the topic.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
FIFO Albo jolly to Alice Springs fell on deaf ears as the mob trashed pub patrons over the week end.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Think he'd prefer to be President
Better keep an eye out what is happening in high end burbs of Olde Melbourne Town. Dusty's state of the art SUV flogged in St Kilda. Two dahlings having a road rage punch up Brighton Road Elwood.